(Poll) Change new Control Panel's "System" icon

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which one you want the Control Panel's "System" icon.

Poll ended at Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:45 pm

Old
17%
New Option 1
50%
New Option 2
33%

Total votes: 12

henrytang5247

(Poll) Change new Control Panel's "System" icon

Post by henrytang5247 »

Hi. This topic is a poll to change new Control Panel's "System" icon...

Old:
[ external image ]

New Option 1:
[ external image ]

New Option 2:
[ external image ]
Hi I am Henry. I often make Chinese and Malay translation and icons for ReactOS. I also a ReactOS Community Youtube Channel Manager.
[ external image ] [ external image ]
Black_Fox

Re: (Poll) Change new Control Panel's "System" icon

Post by Black_Fox »

The old one has a weird, broken perspective when compared to the new ones, so any of the options is an improvement. One of the new ones is the exact icon of "My computer", so it depends on whether you want to make "System" Control Panel setting and "My computer" be identical or just similar. I gave my vote to the simple update of the icon, while still being a bit different from "My computer".
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

One thing: XP does not use the My Computer icon for sysdm.cpl

The old one is just fine.

Another thing, when erasing part of the icon, you missed part of the computer tower. And that makes the icon out of proportion. So my vote is still no.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
forart

Post by forart »

ROS uses Tango icon set, that's a bit "kiddish"...

Anyway thare are others icon sets that could be used without "reinventig the wheel":

http://wiki.opensemanticframework.org/i ... urce_Icons
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

forart wrote:ROS uses Tango icon set, that's a bit "kiddish"...

Anyway thare are others icon sets that could be used without "reinventig the wheel":

Nope. We use Tango icons and them only. We are not going to use one icon from a different icon just to change something that doesn't need to be changed in the first place.

As I said earlier, XP does not use the same icon for sysdm.cpl and the My Computer icon. The intended replacement looks out of place as the current icons in Control Panel are all from the Tango set and they look really good.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

Well, I made the new My computer icon last Christmas. Mainly to fix the broken appearance of the original one from Tango. As someone posted before me the perspective of its predecessor was skewed.

So yeah, please rehash my idea (the source SVG files are on Jira for anyone to use and improve) and use it in place of the old monitor bitmap. There are some variations of it in places like this one which I'd like removed.

Remember to pixel push every size for extra crispiness and fidelity.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Pi_User5 wrote:
forart wrote:ROS uses Tango icon set, that's a bit "kiddish"...

Nope. We use Tango icons and them only. We are not going to use one icon from a different icon just to change something that doesn't need to be changed in the first place.

As I said earlier, XP does not use the same icon for sysdm.cpl and the My Computer icon. The intended replacement looks out of place as the current icons in Control Panel are all from the Tango set and they look really good.
Not really true. Check the icon commits I made from Jira from hackfest. These are Tango alike symbols, but not Tango^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

If we fix that one, we should also fix the ones for Wine D3D which I think is ugly, and the one for the keyboard which has a very bad perspective.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

PurpleGurl wrote:If we fix that one, we should also fix the ones for Wine D3D which I think is ugly, and the one for the keyboard which has a very bad perspective.
Just wondering, what do you think needs to be fixed on Wine D3D so I could fix it. :D

[ external image ]
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I am not sure how it can be fixed. I mean, the D3D one just looks cluttered or ugly, IMHO. And what about the Users icon? From the screen caps, it looks a bit blurry, like it needs to be made crisper.
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

PurpleGurl wrote:I am not sure how it can be fixed. I mean, the D3D one just looks cluttered or ugly, IMHO. And what about the Users icon? From the screen caps, it looks a bit blurry, like it needs to be made crisper.
Everything is blurry in those screenshots thanks to the JPEG compression artifacts.
The real icons are perfectly crisp, is just the bad quality example images.

Next time save them as PNG or use a better image host.

The Wine D3D one is a perfectly valid icon. Sometimes people forget that making icons is more than drawing an image, it entails using a common palette and shading, manually redrawing it in various sizes and see if clashes with the rest of the set.

One can't just grab a random image from Google and paste into an .ico converter. Every little image takes a lot of work, specially if you go the extra mile and vectorize it.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I meant that the Users icon was more blurry than the others. I already took the compression and Huffman noise into consideration. Part of it could be due to it being a modern art style and someone deciding to blur it a bit to try to cheat. I am not sure if it can be made much crisper due to the nature of that genre of image.

Also, I merely said the D3D icon was unattractive, not that it was invalid.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

PurpleGurl wrote:I meant that the Users icon was more blurry than the others. I already took the compression and Huffman noise into consideration. Part of it could be due to it being a modern art style and someone deciding to blur it a bit to try to cheat. I am not sure if it can be made much crisper due to the nature of that genre of image.

Also, I merely said the D3D icon was unattractive, not that it was invalid.
I tried to do my best for the WINE D3D icon: https://jira.reactos.org/secure/attachm ... ources.zip

I also fixed the blurry 32pixel image for usrmgr. It appears someone scaled down the 48pixel image. :x
Swyter wrote:
PurpleGurl wrote:I am not sure how it can be fixed. I mean, the D3D one just looks cluttered or ugly, IMHO. And what about the Users icon? From the screen caps, it looks a bit blurry, like it needs to be made crisper.
Everything is blurry in those screenshots thanks to the JPEG compression artifacts.
The real icons are perfectly crisp, is just the bad quality example images.

Next time save them as PNG or use a better image host.

The Wine D3D one is a perfectly valid icon. Sometimes people forget that making icons is more than drawing an image, it entails using a common palette and shading, manually redrawing it in various sizes and see if clashes with the rest of the set.

One can't just grab a random image from Google and paste into an .ico converter. Every little image takes a lot of work, specially if you go the extra mile and vectorize it.
I actually import the pages given by the Tango theme instead of scaling the larger pages down. You can see my "rant" here: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS_Icon_Guidelines

[ external image ]
henrytang5247

Post by henrytang5247 »

Hi I am Henry. I often make Chinese and Malay translation and icons for ReactOS. I also a ReactOS Community Youtube Channel Manager.
[ external image ] [ external image ]