UNC Connection from ReactOS -> Share

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

techtalk

UNC Connection from ReactOS -> Share

Post by techtalk »

Hi,

I'm working on a new ReactOS video. One of the things I've been trying to figure out is how to establish a UNC connection from within ReactOS to a remote share. I've tried the "NET USE y: \\[computer]\share" command, but this doesn't appear to find the \\[computer]\share. Many of the NET commands are currently being developed or not yet implemented. I've tried the host and the IP to no avail. I've tried installing the Samba client to see if that helped, without success.

Is there anyone who has been able to connect to a remote share from within ReactOS to some computer/share on your local network? If so, can you please provide some basic steps I can try or a link that helped you? I'd really like to figure this out, if it's possible and add it to my next ReactOS Video Series video.

TIA!
ThFabba
Developer

Re: UNC Connection from ReactOS -> Share

Post by ThFabba »

It's completely unimplemented.
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

ThFabba wrote:It's completely unimplemented.
I noticed on the changelog, here :

Commands and utilities:
net: Many improvements to this command. (Eric Kohl)

Do we know what kind of improvements have been made or what new functionality was implemented? I'm testing with the nightly build v0.4.10.

Thanks for your response!
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

The "net" command is somewhat implemented. Even "net use" probably works. You can use it for VMware/VirtualBox shared folders, for example. However "File and Printer Sharing", i.e. SMB/CIFS, is not implemented at all, so neither explorer nor "net" will be able to access remote computers that way.
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

ThFabba wrote:The "net" command is somewhat implemented. Even "net use" probably works. You can use it for VMware/VirtualBox shared folders, for example. However "File and Printer Sharing", i.e. SMB/CIFS, is not implemented at all, so neither explorer nor "net" will be able to access remote computers that way.
Thank you for your reply! Is there any (known) method of connecting to a remote share at this time that works in ReactOS? I'm guessing no at this point. Just want to make sure I'm asking the question in the right manner.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, you can use VMWare or VBox shared folders. These are connected at detection on startup by default.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Heis Spiter

Post by Heis Spiter »

For the record, net use is properly implemented, given there are network providers registered.
So far, the only network providers I could test in ReactOS are: VBox shares, VMware shares and NFS.
The later looks the most to what you're looking for: remote shares. Even though, they are not 100% perfect, and more Linux oriented than SMB shares.
Pierre Schweitzer (aka Heis Spiter)
ReactOS kernel developer.
ReactOS systems administrator.
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

Heis Spiter wrote: The later looks the most to what you're looking for: remote shares. Even though, they are not 100% perfect, and more Linux oriented than SMB shares.
Thank you! I'll hold off on this aspect for now. Sounds like it's getting closer though, very good news!