0.3.15?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Angelus

Re: 0.3.15?

Post by Angelus »

Aeneas wrote:Hi all,

is this some kind of a belated April's Fool joke?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

- the next release is described as coming on 23rd Dec.
[joke_mode=on]
It's a pity that the Mayan end times prophecy is dated to 12/21/2012. Anyway, thanks for the effort guys. ;)
[/joke_mode=off]

PS: I've shown the joke_mode activation code only for the gullibles.
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

many Core Developers in this wiki page allready left the project, and I think it is important to add every patch submitter.
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

gonzoMD wrote:
many Core Developers in this wiki page allready left the project, and I think it is important to add every patch submitter.

I believe it's still a work in progress. There are sections that haven't been filled yet and some text that's orphaned. I did see quite a few attributions to patch submitters and lots of bugzilla links (although bugzilla doesn't work anymore).
Trawertyn

Post by Trawertyn »

I hope so too, but it comes to the release of version 3.15 at the scheduled time, but not so many bugs to fix for this issue, but time will tell how it goes.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

well I think IF it really would be released, it allready were tagged in SVN.
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

gonzoMD wrote:well I think IF it really would be released, it allready were tagged in SVN.
They are probably still doing tests, might even have a last couple of bugs to resolve before it's done.
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

My friends, I understand that you want 0.3.15 so much, but I'm more concerned about releasing a quality release than just releasing for the sake of it.

I'm afraid if we rush now to release 0.3.15 before NY, it won't be a quality release at all. As for trying out, there are nightly builds, which will be easy to spot on the new website.

Release often, release early is the best approach, and "nightlies" is the implementation of that approach. As for 0.x.y releases, they are passed through QA, and right now due to incosistent state of MM, 0.x.y releases won't pass through our strong QA filter. I hope you understand this.

Thank you.
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

As an aside due to the number of commits that I need to filter through to create a changelog, I generally need a two week lead time to do one when I'm not swamped with work/about to disappear on vacation.
alfanak.net

Post by alfanak.net »

omg
its just 0.3.15, not 1.0.0 or even 0.5

:( :( :( :(
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Who cares about Version numbers? I use a dozen 0.1.X Apps which are more than many 1.X apps! How can ppl just be so shallow??
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
alfanak.net

Post by alfanak.net »

EmuandCo wrote:Who cares about Version numbers? I use a dozen 0.1.X Apps which are more than many 1.X apps! How can ppl just be so shallow??
beleive me i dont like you posts at all
i was not even talking to you
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

alfanak.net wrote:omg
Well, you know, it's a real problem, but since history led us to thinking that any minor release must meet certain quality assurance, I'm not going to break this tradition. It'll be helpful when we approach usable state, so why not practice right now? :)

But indeed, as Daniel said, what's the point of a release for our community team, if you can always download a prebuild per-revision ISO. My personal opinion is that this version scheme 0.x.y realy sucks. Really lots of stuff has been done, and we are still at 0.3 because it's hard to show off all stuff due to kernel being not finished. Anyway, this is a topic for another discussion.
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
alfanak.net

Post by alfanak.net »

fireball wrote:
alfanak.net wrote:omg
Well, you know, it's a real problem, but since history led us to thinking that any minor release must meet certain quality assurance, I'm not going to break this tradition. It'll be helpful when we approach usable state, so why not practice right now? :)

But indeed, as Daniel said, what's the point of a release for our community team, if you can always download a prebuild per-revision ISO. My personal opinion is that this version scheme 0.x.y realy sucks. Really lots of stuff has been done, and we are still at 0.3 because it's hard to show off all stuff due to kernel being not finished. Anyway, this is a topic for another discussion.
i download a new build every week i think, and i try some new apps...
but i want see a new release because this will show the real status of project.
as you said, lots of stuff has been done, but we can't see anything, because when you download a prebuild ISO, you will find at least 2 or 3 bugs, these bugs will not allow you to see the results of new features added by our developers
but when you realease an new build, you must cure all major bugs and this help users to see a real good results when they use reactos.
prebuild ISOs are realy good but not enougth

excuse my bad english
zydon

Post by zydon »

I've tested many prebuild ISO's since 0.3.14 release. I saw a lots of progress lately and improvements comes and go. While some old bugs returned out of the blue. These pattern repeated after ROS codes synced from Wine's.

It seem Wine's codes holding back ROS progress back and forth. I dunno what to say about this. Perhaps, Wine's code sync should only being done once on every Wine release and any ROS improvement should be recorded and kept in a safe place for restoration purposes if overwritten by the Wine's codes sync. Or perhaps, Wine synced codes should be done on an isolated build copy to uncover unforeseen bugs.

At this point, I don't think Wine's codes has any benefit to the ROS progress. Only the theory or technical aspect of the Wine's improvement could be used while adding new improvement codes into ROS.