ReactOS applications needed?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrugiero

Re: ReactOS applications needed?

Post by mrugiero »

Z98 wrote:I doubt we would ever accept notepad++ as a notepad replacement in ROS. It's basically everything plus a kitchen sink. From the screenshots metapad would appear more suitable as a dropin replacement, but the issue is a matter of maintenance. Whether the project hasn't released an update in two years is because the project is effectively 'done' or whether the dev lost interest is one of the questions that needs to be answered.
The developer did lost interest (he stated he's done with it), I'm refactoring the code (it was only one 8000 lines file) to make it more maintainable, but that's my knowledge so far. I don't think I know enough about win32api to actually maintain it.

EDIT: there are some things tagged as experimental there. I don't know what will I do with them. I might let them as they are, purge them out (I'll probably just leave them commented out as they are) or try to complete. The latter is unlikely, since I don't know enough right now.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

How much do we want this program to do? I created a Notepad clone in Delphi when I was in high school. Notepad is about the simplest application you can create in any visual language.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

DOSGuy wrote:How much do we want this program to do? I created a Notepad clone in Delphi when I was in high school. Notepad is about the simplest application you can create in any visual language.
I thought so, but I don't want to make any promises of maintaining something when I don't know if I have the skills. My main motivation for restructuring it is learning.

EDIT: I did a basic reordering of the source code, there might be some things to polish, though. It's already buildable, but I didn't make a proper buildscript, so I only checked that the modules build. I'll try to reduce the dependencies now, since I did include in excess just in case and to make my life easier.
florian

Post by florian »

mrugiero wrote:[...] The developer did lost interest (he stated he's done with it), I'm refactoring the code (it was only one 8000 lines file) to make it more maintainable, but that's my knowledge so far. I don't think I know enough about win32api to actually maintain it.
Notepad++ seems to be alive - or is there antother with the same name?
I replaced notepad with Notepad2.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

florian wrote:
mrugiero wrote:[...] The developer did lost interest (he stated he's done with it), I'm refactoring the code (it was only one 8000 lines file) to make it more maintainable, but that's my knowledge so far. I don't think I know enough about win32api to actually maintain it.
Notepad++ seems to be alive - or is there antother with the same name?
I replaced notepad with Notepad2.
I'm talking about metapad, not notepad++. Also, I don't mean replacing for myself (metapad works, I wouldn't take the time to restructure a source code for something I could use with the binary provided), but replacing as default ReactOS' notepad. And I do use Linux mostly, so metapad is not something I use in a day-to-day basis.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

mrugiero wrote:Also, I don't mean replacing for myself (metapad works, I wouldn't take the time to restructure a source code for something I could use with the binary provided), but replacing as default ReactOS' notepad.
Metapad is a great app, it will be a nice to have it integrated is ROS. Is the RichEdit control working in ROS?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

fred02 wrote:
mrugiero wrote:Also, I don't mean replacing for myself (metapad works, I wouldn't take the time to restructure a source code for something I could use with the binary provided), but replacing as default ReactOS' notepad.
Metapad is a great app, it will be a nice to have it integrated is ROS. Is the RichEdit control working in ROS?
RichEdit control should work...but could be buggy...;)
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

fred02 wrote:
Even if it doesn't, the lite edition uses other system, EditProc IIRC its name. I've got it at a few steps from building (in fact, I think the problem is not the code, but the compiler or command I'm using, since the original metapad gives the exact same errors, so I'll try with MSVC Express tonight or maybe tomorrow). I still wouldn't call it done, though.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

mrugiero wrote:Even if it doesn't, the lite edition uses other system, EditProc IIRC its name.
Indeed, that seems to be the name.
mrugiero wrote:I've got it at a few steps from building (in fact, I think the problem is not the code, but the compiler or command I'm using, since the original metapad gives the exact same errors, so I'll try with MSVC Express tonight or maybe tomorrow). I still wouldn't call it done, though.
Cool, keep us updated.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Have you considered netcat?

http://linhost.info/2011/05/netcat-for-windows/

http://joncraton.org/blog/46/netcat-for-windows

It might be interesting to spawn cmd.exe with it and thus allow for remote control of reactos... (Don't know if that works - do not currently have a reactos installation, waiting for 0.3.15.)
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Well, I'm back.
Before anything else, I want to apologize. I promised something for the very next day, and when I was about to show something, I made a mistake which erased the 'safer' changes and let me only with a slightly modified version I made to try to diminish the use of global variables. That probably introduced some bugs. Out of frustration, I left that work.
Last night, I restarted in a more systematic way.
First, I set up my IDE on Linux to allow for cross-compiling, so I don't have to reboot to Windows (my main OS is Ubuntu, so everything that is not games that requires me to reboot severely hurts my ability to procrastinate, and I don't like that). Then, I modified the makefile included in the original source so I can easily build on Linux, since my IDE doesn't build anyway.
Then, I learned how to setup a clone of the original author's git repository and started commiting gradual changes.
This is the git, with the restarted work, this is really far from becoming modular:
https://github.com/Oppen/metapad
The source in that repository should build in any condition the original sources built, and I can assure it builds when cross-compiling on Linux.

However, I wanted to try my previous work. I undid the changes I could recall I made to the functions, but I'm not sure I undid all (that's why I set up a git, it makes it easier to keep track of changes if used properly), and then made a makefile and tried to build. I had to make a few changes, but I got it, starts up, in a fast test it seemed to work correctly. The only three things: I didn't update the windows makefile, because I'll redo all the work in the git anyway and was a loss of time (I just did this to check if my approach was correct, and to check the source of an error I was having in the repo version), and to check if it builded without having to deal with a kind of ugly way to add a function if it wasn't built with mingw, I just got it out of the way. So, it will only build on Linux via cross-compiling, right now. And the other thing, building throws A LOT of warnings, while the original throws a few to none. This has something to do with how I worked with the globals.
Anyway, here is the old source, which should be considered like an sketch of what I intend to do, and the binary from this source. Since I forgot to erase it, there is my old roadmap in spanish within the source code.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Cool!
It even shows us a bug in Copy-Paste :)
amber

Post by amber »

We must be realistic in the first place need standard system application from Windows. Here is my partial list of programs that are in Windows XP, but so far without a reactOS:

Programs in Windows XP:

These programs are in the folder:
C:\Windows\system32

The functions of these programs have already been implemented (?) In ReactOS, but the programs themselves are still there:

eventcreate.exe - creates an entry in the System Event Log
forcedos.exe - run DOS app
getmac.exe - get network MAC adress
help.exe - show commands for cmd.exe (in Windows XP help is NOT command in cmd.exe!!!)
label.exe - Label is used to view or change the label of the computer disk drives
mem.exe - show memory status
mountvol.exe - mount file system. Analogue Linux commands mount, but less functional(?)

These DOS programs come along with Windows, perhaps for compatibility with older applications.
All of them have been written under the GPL license for the project FreeDOS. The only thing that needs to be done to translate from English language and add to ReactOS

edlin.exe - one-line text editor DOS
edit.com - multi-line text editor (similar to Notepad.exe)
exe2bin.exe - Convert an .EXE file to .BIN or .COM format and adjust relocs if needed.

These programs also come with Windows, but are NOT a DOS-applications, but in the FreeDOS project they present:

fc.exe - File compare utility
find.exe - Display all lines in one or more files that contain a given string. Inverse and case-insensitive search possible as well.
findstr.exe - Analogue find.exe?

This is only part of the program I had seen in Windows XP, there might be more. I think to write the command line utilities or port them from the project FreeDOS not be easy, but because of them can earn some Windows programs in the future.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

amber wrote:These DOS programs come along with Windows, perhaps for compatibility with older applications.
All of them have been written under the GPL license for the project FreeDOS. The only thing that needs to be done to translate from English language and add to ReactOS
amber wrote:These programs also come with Windows, but are NOT a DOS-applications, but in the FreeDOS project they present:
ReactOS can't run DOS programs, so they would need to be recompiled as Windows console applications.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

vicmarcal wrote:Cool!
It even shows us a bug in Copy-Paste :)
It does? Have you tried in Windows? I only tried with WINE, and really basic usage (a simple search, writing some random stuff), it might be a bug I introduced to the program.