Please add the modified Lautus-theme of GreenteaOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

theuserbl

Please add the modified Lautus-theme of GreenteaOS

Post by theuserbl »

Congrats to ReactOS 0.4.7!

It is nice, that it is now possible to choose between the default theme and the Lautus theme during the installation.

But could you please include in next versions of ReactOS the modified Lautus-theme of GreenteaOS 0.5.1 ?
https://greenteaos.github.io/

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

I think "EightBlue" would be a nice name for it. Then it could also be added additional themes called "EightYellow", "EightGreen" and "EightRed", which only differ in color.

As I wrote at
https://github.com/GreenteaOS/Greentea/issues/97
the theme looks on GreenteaOS itself not so nice.
[ external image ]

Greetings
theuserbl
Konata

Re: Please add the modified Lautus-theme of GreenteaOS

Post by Konata »

I like it, I hope it gets added.
You might want to make this a JIRA report
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Checking the website and what do I see? a complete lie.
"Greentea OS is a free Windows-compatible operating system, written from scratch, but more user and production oriented. We would first make it *actually* usable for day-to-day use." You are WHAT??! WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH??! LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Nope, no support from my side!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Konata

Post by Konata »

EmuandCo wrote:Checking the website and what do I see? a complete lie.
"Greentea OS is a free Windows-compatible operating system, written from scratch, but more user and production oriented. We would first make it *actually* usable for day-to-day use." You are WHAT??! WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH??! LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Nope, no support from my side!
Ha, I didn't even look at the site.
I don't see any mention of ReactOS anywhere on it, but sure enough, if you look at the source it's all ReactOS stuff.
Their twitter even brags about going 64-bit, but I don't even see anything for that in their repo. And I really doubt they're actively working on it, or else we'd more than likely see their changes going back into ReactOS proper.
This is really sad, what are these kids even doing?

Edit: even more adorable, they're copying plain-ol' FAT32 and calling it their own filesystem. Can these kids do anything else besides steal things and rebrand them?
OP, we should try to find out what this theme's real name is and add the actual, original theme to ReactOS, because no way these kids made this theme when they haven't made anything else by themselves. Really, where did they steal this theme from?
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Shouldn't Reactors force them to tell the truth ? :(
cernodile

Post by cernodile »

EmuandCo wrote:Checking the website and what do I see? a complete lie.
Exactly my thoughts when I first saw the website. I was checking if any mention of ReactOS, nope, not even a single word. Their readme even didn't include it, however looking at their repo, it all comes out clear.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Notification area ( bottom right icons ) of 'modified
Lautus-theme of GreenteaOS' looks odd.
That theme looks like a hybrid of Windows 7 and metro theme for XP with a Windows 7 like taskbar ( in comparsion of height only ).
A proper notification area (like Windows 7) would make it awesome.
Or just reduce the height of the taskbar.

( This my personal opinion depending on the images by theuserbl. )
( Your opinion may vary. )
theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

Konata wrote:OP, we should try to find out what this theme's real name is and add the actual, original theme to ReactOS, because no way these kids made this theme when they haven't made anything else by themselves. Really, where did they steal this theme from?
It looks like, that the original theme was the Lautus theme, which was modified.
As mentioned at
https://github.com/GreenteaOS/Greentea/issues/94
the author of the theme modifications is *** edit: he is unknown
I have currently mailed with the menitioned person r57zone. And he wrote, he is not the author and he wanted, that I edit my post because of that.

Greetings
theuserbl
Last edited by theuserbl on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

The Lautus theme of ReactOS
https://github.com/reactos/reactos/tree ... s.msstyles

The modified Lautus-theme of GreenteaOS
https://github.com/GreenteaOS/Kernel/tr ... s.msstyles

Greetings
theuserbl
Konata

Post by Konata »

This is about as deep as their "issues" get, what should they steal and how should they rename it: https://github.com/GreenteaOS/Greentea/issues/97.
I'd be mad, but this "project" is probably going to putter out in, probably a year, my guess :roll:
Shame these kids can't do something useful with their time, like actually contribute to something. I wouldn't even be mad if they actually made their little "Greentea OS" backyard box-fort actually more stable, because then their bug fixes could be merged back into ReactOS. But no, all they want to do is pretend they're a big software project, steal everything they can get their hands on and rebrand it, giving no credit to the projects they stole from and pretending they did it themselves. Actually, reminds me of this comic.
I hope these kids get grounded, but their parents probably pamper them.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

It seems like they replaced all occurrences of ReactOS by GreenteaOS.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

No support from my side, no theme will be added and I suggest legal actions.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

What is the correct way for a fork of reactOS to be made and renamed? After all it has to be renamed if the code changes start to take it away from core ReactOS. Is it simply enough to make statements that it is based upon ReactOS code and give the ReactOS devs sufficient credit? Some guidelines may be need to be published to prevent others from making the same stupid mistakes.

I know that forking a project is not unknown in open source circles and that there is an established process I am just asking for some clarification as to what would keep the ReactOS devs and team happy when someone clones ReactOS for their own use and distribution?

Bear in mind that others can (and do) use the ReactOS logo and package projects so that they seem to be from the same stable (ReactJS) and no-one on the team gets upset, yet these chaps take the open source freely available code, rename the distro to something completely different and everyone hates them?

Copying/cloning is the sincerest form of flattery, isn't that partly what ReactOS is doing? Some would argue it is just as illegitimate - I have heard it said.

Would a prominent credit be enough?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Edit:
Did Greentea guys violate rule/license (any/GPL) by doing what they did in the way they did ?
Hope you guys understand.

(BTW : I want to know what rule/license allows. Not what is morally right.)
(Sorry for my English)
Konata

Post by Konata »

They're not violating the GPL, GPL only says you have to share your changes, which they are doing.

And yes, the issue is they're not giving ReactOS any credit whatsoever, even giving the vague statement "written from scratch", which is implying that they, the Greentea OS Team, wrote it. That's what wrong. It wouldn't kill them to put "Powered by ReactOS" in the description on the website and link to ReactOS. But they don't.
It's not that there's a problem with them calling it their own name, actually that's a requirement as you can't use ReactOS' trademarks without permission from the team. That doesn't mean they can't mention the project, just don't name anything after it or use the project's logos (I have to explicitly mention that because I always see that being questioned around here because a lot of you guys seem to know jack-all about law, apparently).

But, again, they don't even want to mention it, they just want to slyly imply they made it and give no credit to anyone else, they want to feel like big, accomplished developers. This behavior is really obvious when they explicitly made an issue on their github about forking FAT32 and renaming it GreenteaFS. Like, uh, no? FAT32 is a specification, not a product. You can't rename a specification. But they want to anyway, because they want to feel special without actually doing anything special. And please don't think they're forking FAT32 to make changes or improvements to it. If you're going to make a filesystem and know anything at all about making filesystems, you don't start off with FAT32. They're renaming FAT32 specifically because they don't know how filesystems work.
And to top that off, they're so lazy and untalented, they can't even steal things right. All the references to ReactOS are still in the source, even the theme's source, they can't even rename it properly. Not that they should do that, but they can't even be assed to.

Ultimately, this is insulting because these children are putting in all their time and effort into one single thing, taking something they didn't make and implying they did. No changes, no improvements, no credit to the creators. They're taking the Mona Lisa and putting a mustache on it.
Last edited by Konata on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.