Community Changelog: 0.4.8 (Work-in-progress)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

binarymaster

Re: Community Changelog: 0.4.8 (Work-in-progress)

Post by binarymaster »

ctasan wrote:A little hint, please try not to use function names where possible.
Ok!
Oleg Dubinskij

Post by Oleg Dubinskij »

Some minor fixes in printing by Colin Finck, which fixed 1C regression (CORE-14072).
Some minor fixes in services by Pierre Shweitzer, which fixed Microsoft Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel (CORE-14062).
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Oleg Dubinskij wrote:Some minor fixes in printing by Colin Finck, which fixed 1C regression (CORE-14072).
Some minor fixes in services by Pierre Shweitzer, which fixed Microsoft Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel (CORE-14062).
These are minor and specific issues.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Just giving you feedback as to how valuable this changelog is to the community and to the world at large.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

And it's giving value to ReactOS.

One week later and 4 years ago, I came to ReactOS. 0.3.16 was newly released. Compare then...
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

ANNOUNCEMENT: From 0.4.9 and onwards, I consider continuing this changelog entirely in Wiki, that also will bring better community contribution. However, I'll still open a topic for each changelog to discuss.

Your ideas?
justincase

Post by justincase »

Sounds good to me.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
middings

Post by middings »

Sounds good to me too.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Personally, I don't mind but I do think having it on the forum would give the changelog more access to the casual visitor as it more likely to be found on the forum - most newbies being more likely to visit the forum than anything else. I have been around a while and I don't tend to trawl the wikis but I do trawl the forum. The forum is a good place for disseminating information and if that is what you want to do then the forum is a good home for information like that.

re: the wikis: So far I haven't found much evidence of any newbies reading any documentation whatsoever before installing ReactOS, so why should it be any different regarding the changelog?

I think you may need to duplicate it on the WIK and the forum and maintain the duplication, at least at first.

It may be possible using forum CMS tricks to insert the WIKI article as text directly from the WIKI so it is displayed on the forum in the normal fashion meaning you only need to maintain the one version. Knowing this forum is a little clunky and possibly a little old ? I doubt this is possible but it might be worth researching just to avoid duplication of effort.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Personally, I don't mind but I do think having it on the forum would give the changelog more access to the casual visitor as it more likely to be found on the forum - most newbies being more likely to visit the forum than anything else. I have been around a while and I don't tend to trawl the wikis but I do trawl the forum. The forum is a good place for disseminating information and if that is what you want to do then the forum is a good home for information like that.

re: the wikis: So far I haven't found much evidence of any newbies reading any documentation whatsoever before installing ReactOS, so why should it be any different regarding the changelog?

I think you may need to duplicate it on the WIK and the forum and maintain the duplication, at least at first.

It may be possible using forum CMS tricks to insert the WIKI article as text directly from the WIKI so it is displayed on the forum in the normal fashion meaning you only need to maintain the one version. Knowing this forum is a little clunky and possibly a little old ? I doubt this is possible but it might be worth researching just to avoid duplication of effort.
Just creating a 'discussion' topic in the forum linking to the wiki page seems like a decent option,
duplication the information is just adding a maintenance burden.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

learn_more wrote: duplication the information is just adding a maintenance burden.
Yes of course, but still the point I made is valid and that needs to be thought about before making the change. It is isn't all about convenience and sometimes the maintenance simply has to be done.

There may be methods that simplify the process.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

learn_more wrote:Just creating a 'discussion' topic in the forum linking to the wiki page seems like a decent option,
duplication the information is just adding a maintenance burden.
I am for this. I consider giving a easily noticeable link to Wiki page, leaving the topic for discussion. Just one click won't scare people away. Both this topic and Wiki page appeared in Google after some time I've created them. That will be the same for future.

I think there are two strong benefits to move the changelogs entirely to Wiki: Better contribution and maintenance problems as learn_more said.

You won't have to wait anymore for me to contribute. See a mistake? New improvements? Want to add something? The power is yours, just use your common sense and mind what's the purpose of Community Changelogs. You need a Trusted Wiki account for this.

Maintenance problems is another thing. It's not so heavy, but there will be times I'm too busy. That might cause some distruptions. With the power of Wiki, I hope it will be easier and look more clear than forum.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

I have added a guide about how to contribute. Also laid down required work.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

All your work appreciated.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

dizt3mp3r wrote:All your work appreciated.
Feel free to take Trusted access and start to contribute.