Reactos with dual boot system

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildschwein

Reactos with dual boot system

Post by wildschwein »

I want to install Reactos on an old Thinkpad R50e, but in a dual boot environment, XP in parallel.

What should i install first ?

I guess XP, but should i allocate a Fat32 partition for Reactos ?

Other tipps ? In which partition must Reactos be ?
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Reactos with dual boot system

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Fat32 is the only file system that works in ReactOS right now. And yes, you should install XP first.

I wouldn't recommend you install ReactOS on the same hard drive, though. You should use a hard drive you do not use regularly or even better under a VM.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

No. It's the fascinating to run ROS on real Hardware...
Blitzen_Dóiteán

Post by Blitzen_Dóiteán »

wildschwein wrote:No. It's the fascinating to run ROS on real Hardware...
I completely agree with that, it is much more interesting to see what might work/break on real hardware, than in a virtual machine where virtually nothing can go wrong.
*blank*
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

and it's fascinating how FAST it runs on this old machine...
Cyber Toon

Post by Cyber Toon »

Blitzen_Dóiteán wrote:
wildschwein wrote:No. It's the fascinating to run ROS on real Hardware...
I completely agree with that, it is much more interesting to see what might work/break on real hardware, than in a virtual machine where virtually nothing can go wrong.
ReactOS regularly breaks my virtual machine to the point where I have to manually end the virtual machine process, and booting into regular mode (but not debug mode) also always ends up breaking. VMWare tools usually (but not always) causes the virtual machine breaking, and saving theme/resolution always seems to break after I install VMWare tools. Then there's the issue where ReactOS shows nothing but the device installation dialog for an eternity, at which point CTRL-ALT-DEL and task manager take forever to start working, if they do at all, and if the system doesn't end up freezing. For me, something always eventually goes wrong.

But I do agree that testing on real hardware is much more interesting, and much more useful for testing hardware-related systems.
Alahndro

Post by Alahndro »

I have a triple boot configuration on most of my machines with:
1- Reactos
2- XP
3- Win7

The most important thing is to make sure that each OS install its loader on its own partition and does not infer into the partition of another OS. And worse is that win7 won't hibernate if its loader is not on the current active partition. Also Xp and win7 always install their loader on the current active partition during setup, in case reactos were active windows would install its loader there only to be lost the first time you have to reinstall reactos!

For this reason I use the Plop boot loader:
- fits into the mbr
- switches active partition upon selection.

But please beware that you can fuck up your partition table quite easy if you configure plop not properly. there are a few things to know and you should test and learn it first on a spare laptop or a virtual machine!
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

ahhh, thanks, good info

but i bought a 2,5 Zoll IDE Harddisk for 7,90 Euro inclusive shipping :-)

mechanical solution is the best one....

not yet installed, but i will report....

i am so keen on to see Ros with network support on my thinkpad R50e....i know that the driver yet works...