Drivers and some Windows XP incompatible soft

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aahz

Drivers and some Windows XP incompatible soft

Post by Aahz »

Hi,
Just encountered this OS and i am very exited about its features.
I have some essential question, like: drivers, will windows drivers that one would usually download from hardware official sites work with this OS, or is there a own database to download drivers from?

Second question is about some basic but necessary software, for example, the latest version of Skype, Firefox or Chrome would simply not install on Windows XP because of incompatibility issue, how about ReactOS, does it accept latest version of all essential software?

Thanks!
oldman

Re: Drivers and some Windows XP incompatible soft

Post by oldman »

Aahz wrote:Hi,
Just encountered this OS and i am very exited about its features.
I have some essential question, like: drivers, will windows drivers that one would usually download from hardware official sites work with this OS, or is there a own database to download drivers from?
You will need drivers for Windows XP / 2003. Drivers for newer versions of Windows will probaly not work.
Aahz wrote: Second question is about some basic but necessary software, for example, the latest version of Skype, Firefox or Chrome would simply not install on Windows XP because of incompatibility issue, how about ReactOS, does it accept latest version of all essential software?
Thanks!
It will be the same for ReactOS, so you will need the older software for Windows XP or newer software that still supports Windows XP.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Aahz

Post by Aahz »

Thanks for answers, and just one more question, can this OS be legally used in a commercial environment?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yes it can be used in a commercial environment but I would NOT recommend it. At the moment it is Alpha grade software and NOT ready for live use in a commercial environment. In fact it is not ready for use in general.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.