Running ReactOS as a DAW

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MetalFan777

Running ReactOS as a DAW

Post by MetalFan777 »

Hi.

I am serious thinking of ditching Windows 10 for ReactOS in my DAW. I have a UA apollo Twin Duo Sound card and use Some DAWs. Espessially Cakewalk Sonar/Bandlab Sonar, but also Cubase 9,5 and Studio One.

Can I just install ReactOS now or do I there need to be some work to make this possible?
Fraizeraust

Re: Running ReactOS as a DAW

Post by Fraizeraust »

Hello!

ReactOS is currently in Alpha which means the OS is under a heavy state of development, it is not feature complete yet and there are many technical bugs that need to be fixed in the foreseeable future.

We DO NOT recommend it as for now to anyone for personal / productivity use unless for testing or experimentation. Therefore you have shall to wait at least for a Beta release however that will take time.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
MetalFan777

Post by MetalFan777 »

Thanks for fast response.

Do ReactOS run windows programs in native mode, or are there some way of bochs or wine in the middle? I ask because a DAW is heavily depended on the OS to run it as a native program, so there is so small latency as possible from Audio In - In to the DAW - DAW runns effects on the signal and record it and sends it through - Out of the DAW to the OS - Audio out. This has to be fast fro us who use the DAW to record for instance guitar. We need to hear the amps sims in the DAW, while recording. And we also need a latecy less that 7 M sec. I dont think that wine can do that as of now.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

Unfortunately you're in the unlucky side. ReactOS has a ridicolous sound system support and there's nothing that we can about it until the devs have polished this OS enough in terms of stability.

ReactOS uses ONLY a portion of WINE code for User mode whilst the rest it is written in scratch like the drivers and such.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
MetalFan777

Post by MetalFan777 »

OK. But is this a Linux distro with windows program support?

I dont see any problem with that.
Just that it is good to know so there is clearer the use of this OS.
Allot of games runn smooth on Wine so it can be a great thing this os ether way.

I also have a Asus 2in1 with a atom CPU I can install this on to test and give feedback if you like.
But I cant use my main computer for that.
And running it in VR isn't helping any i think.
justincase

Post by justincase »

No, ReactOS is not a linux distribution.
Linux is a 'Unix-like' kernel. Linux distributions include posix compliant (aka unix/linux compatible) apps to run on top of the Linux kernel.
ReactOS is built from the ground up using it's own 'Windows NT-like' kernel, and including windows compatible apps (some built by the Wine project, some built by the ReactOS project, etc.).
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

MetalFan777 wrote:OK. But is this a Linux distro with windows program support?
8| :o

go into the corner, take the hat
and read this !:
https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Welcome_to ... pment_Wiki
or directly :
https://www.reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS