Installed under Parallels Desktop for Mac -- with internet

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dcortesi

Installed under Parallels Desktop for Mac -- with internet

Post by dcortesi »

Successfully installed under Parallels Desktop (virtual machine manager) for MacOS. At first, ReactOS could not find a driver for the built-in network connection in the virtual machine. But the last configuration option did the trick.

Process: downloaded the install ISO. Told Parallels to create a new virtual machine. Chose "Other" as the OS -- they provide quite a long list of possible systems, Ubuntu, BSD, etc, but do not mention ReactOS. Connected the .ISO file as the virtual CD/DVD. The CD booted up and completed the install process, no problem.

Disconnected the virtual CD, let React restart, changed the display resolution, poked around, no apparent problems.

On startup the New Hardware Wizard pops up first for "Other ACPI device" -- no idea what it is seeing. That fails because "driver could not be found." No surprise. Don't care.

Then the New Hardware Wizard would come up to install "Ethernet adapter" and would again fail for no driver.

Parallels offers various configurations for the VM. The default is "Shared Network" which enables NAT. The OS in the VM should get NAT services from its built in network adapter. Under Advanced Settings one finds four choices for the virtual NIC Type:
a. "Virtio Network Adapter"
b. "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT"
c. "Intel(R) Gigabit CT (82574L)"
d. "Realtek RTL8029AS"

When I selected option d, Realtek, the New Hardware wizard did NOT come up for the Ethernet adapter, and iexplorer was able to load the home page!

BTW why is iexplorer not listed in the Start menu under Program Files? I had to find it under C: Program Files...
hbelusca
Developer

Re: Installed under Parallels Desktop for Mac -- with intern

Post by hbelusca »

dcortesi wrote:BTW why is iexplorer not listed in the Start menu under Program Files? I had to find it under C: Program Files...
Because you should not care about internet explorer. It is taken from Wine and present here *only* for compatibility purposes, nothing more.
Also you may have seen that it is incomplete, it doesn't allow you to specify to which directory you want to download files, so you have to guess where they land (I personally never found where they get saved) and you don't have any progress for the download.
The best way with ReactOS is to start the Applications Manager (whose icon is on the desktop and in the start menu) and then download a real webbrowser (firefox, opera...).