Exploring ReactOS for the first time

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dcortesi

Exploring ReactOS for the first time

Post by dcortesi »

Is the iexplorer browser supposed to do downloads? Because I tried to download firefox for WinXP from mozilla.org and although the status bar said it was "Downloading from (URL)", nothing more happened.

There's no "Downloads" folder by default. I made one, then found no way to tell the browser to use it.

Went to python.org and was greeted with a big yellow banner message,
Notice: Your browser is ancient (note: their italics!) and Microsoft agrees. Upgrade to a different browser or install Google Chrome Frame to experience a better web.
(To add injury to insult, their link to "Google Chrome Frame" is a 404.)

Does React do Python? How to install it?

Tried looking for a file by name with the "Search" button in an explorer window, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is file Search supposed to work?
dizt3mp3r

Re: Exploring ReactOS for the first time

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Nothing is really supposed to work at the moment. You are meant to test, report, fix and support depending upon your skills.

Everything in ReactOS is alpha at the moment so feel free to test and have fun but don't have high expectations.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
cb88

Post by cb88 »

dcortesi wrote:Is the iexplorer browser supposed to do downloads? Because I tried to download firefox for WinXP from mozilla.org and although the status bar said it was "Downloading from (URL)", nothing more happened.
You can install Firefox using the Apps installer... there is a link to it by default on the desktop. Note only Firefox 48 currently works so first thing you should do after installing Firefox is to go into it's options and disable updates and the maintenance service as well while you're at it since it doesn't do much with updates disabled. If you don't disable updates it will update to 52 which is broken and it won't run correctly.

I think the iexplore is really just intended to render embedded webpages in apps, not as a real application, i.e. built in documentation etc... thought it probably isn't anywhere near completely compatible with real IE since it's really the gecko engine from FireFox (and probably a bit dated version of that).
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

You can install Python the same way by the way -- via the Applications Manager. (or of course download it using a real browser, also obtained via RAPPS)