Help for Newbie(s)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jimmyg1130

Help for Newbie(s)

Post by jimmyg1130 »

I have recently re-discovered ReactOS ( stumbled upon it about 5 years ago then forgot about it). This time I am prepared to help where ever I can. I am not much of a programmer but do have access to many desktop machines stamped "Designed for Microsoft XP" and figured that I could help out by testing on "real" hardware.

So here is my delima. Example: having installed on a couple PCs "My Network Places" does not work on any of them. This makes me assume that this function is just not there yet. I have searched the web and found little info on whether it works or not. I did find a youtube vid from 2010 showing some functionality with Samba-tng and command line. This make me wonder, due to the date of the vid, if maybe "my Network Places" might work and the problem is on my end.

My question is: Is there, or can there be, a list of 'Major" functionality that is not implemented. One would think ( i'm not a developer though) there should be a check list of functionalities that could be made public. This would not only help newbies like me but also any programmer who want to jump in but doesn't know where to start.

note: I understand that the definition of "Major" might vary from person to person.... I checked JIRA that didn't help
dizt3mp3r

Re: Help for Newbie(s)

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Assume nothing works - the o/s is in alpha. It will not start to work reasonably until beta, even then it might not work.

Be aware that if something works today then it might not tomorrow, that is Alpha.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
jimmyg1130

Post by jimmyg1130 »

Very true... I understand the concept of alpha, however there is a difference between not working because it doesn't exist and not working because it's broken. Clearly if the code is there, then it must have worked at some point and therefore might be worth the effort to try to get it to work. If the code isn't there then it's futile.

As a tester, it would be good to know what might work and what don't exist.
oldman

Post by oldman »

I have just done a very quick search in the wiki and found this. Is that what you want?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
jimmyg1130

Post by jimmyg1130 »

Yes, very much like that... Thank You. It seems to me that I have found this page before however I failed to absorb the items near the bottom ( My bad) will try to keep my eyes open wider...

BTW.. This is an excellent project, my hat is off to all who contribute.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I do some basic testing and donating. Look at my signature. Actually where is my signature?
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC