Feature suggestion

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

joe232

Feature suggestion

Post by joe232 »

Hi there, I wanted to suggest a few features to improve ReactOS.

FIrst of all why have two different ISO images for ReactOS, one to boot in and use straight away without installing the OS and one is for just installing the OS. Why can it be one ISO image where the user can boot into the OS without installing it and then there is the option to install the OS, like in GNU/Linux?

Second of all I was wondering if there can be a serious update to the UI of the OS, it kinda looks like Windows ME to be honest. I wish we can have more cooler, modern themes.

I am not too sure if these features exist or not but I was hoping if we can encrypt most folders, the kernel should be a microkernel, we as users can containerize all applications so that if they do have a virus and/or if they become compromised, they cannot affect the OS at all and on top of that we can prevent the applications from connecting to the Internet, taking screenshots, having access to our userprofile name, spoofing the hardware and the hardware specs, having access to certain file paths etc.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Feature suggestion

Post by EmuandCo »

You can select Lautus theme on setup. That for modern stuff. One for all CDs called hybrid CDs can be done, but are not by default. And right now it's still a bootcd and livecd bundled and no GUI setup, but on that ppl are working right now. Encryption is not available by default. Feel free to try VeraCrypt and similar software though. Kernel architecture will NOT be changed in any way, because we are no Linux, we are a Windows NT based OS and have to behave like one.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

We expect that in 0.5.x serie there will be a LiveCD that could also install ReactOS?

I know that GNU/Linux is different OS (GNU/Linux distros allow to install from LiveCD/DVD/USB) , but
what are the technical details that is not possible to install ReactOS from a LiveCD?

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-12462
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-11340
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

The current first stage installer is a native NT application designed to run in place of smss.exe (i.e. as the only user mode process).
To install from the livecd, we need an installer that runs on the Win32 platform. This work is tracked as https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-13525
Rosh

Post by Rosh »