WINE hoax

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quim

WINE hoax

Post by Quim »

I post this hoax about "PlayOnWindows". Maybe in a future WINE project releases a Windows build.

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/comments-902.html
[ external image ]
PurpleGurl

Re: WINE hoax

Post by PurpleGurl »

I don't see why Wine can't already be built for Windows, at least on the user side. It is mostly a matter of recompiling those. But there seems to be little demand for that. Even if this is a hoax, this points out conceivable possibilities for Wine.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

PurpleGurl wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:56 pm I don't see why Wine can't already be built for Windows, at least on the user side. It is mostly a matter of recompiling those. But there seems to be little demand for that. Even if this is a hoax, this points out conceivable possibilities for Wine.
A number of reasons:

1. It made little sense to make a open-source compatibility layer for a closed source operating system (but now we have ReactOS, so this can change).

2. During win 98 - XP times, Windows has never really needed something like Wine. Old versions of DX 9 could already run on Win98 systems and by the time that faded out, no one was still on Win98. Everyone pretty much moved to 2000 or XP.

3. There are already several attempts of comparability layers, like KernelEX and a few others, that have never been successful because of what I said in reason 2.

4. Pretty much all the Wine developers are all Linux users, so there is a lack of Windows developers who would be willing to maintain it.

5. Wine doesn't try to revive old systems, so making a compatibility layer for Windows XP when MS has killed it is pretty pointless.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, I see what you mean, but I meant in terms of technical possibility. The user side of Wine already is Windows compatible. And such a layer would be useful for those who already own/use older Windows versions. Sure, there are not that many, but there are some diehard types.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Quim wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 am I post this hoax about "PlayOnWindows". Maybe in a future WINE project releases a Windows build.

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/comments-902.html
[ external image ]
First of all, that is an article from 2011.
You might not know it, but we live in the year 2018.

Second, look at the date this article was posted.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

*cough* LINE
Quim

Post by Quim »

Does ReactOS have all WINE functions and code implemented and included with or without modifications?
middings

Post by middings »

Quim, your question is interesting but strays from the topic of "WINE hoax".
Consider making your question the start of a new topic.
Ancient

WINE hoax or April fools joke from 2011??

Post by Ancient »

An April fools joke from 2011??