Suggestion: Implement file search based on explorer++

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Julcar

Suggestion: Implement file search based on explorer++

Post by Julcar »

First, I am not developer, yet...

Second, one of the features I most use in windows XP is the file search, and I know ReactOS' explorer lacks of it, some time ago I saw that explorer++ has its own file search dialog, so I think it could be possible to port his code to ReactOS' explorer.

A link to the code is here: https://github.com/derceg/explorerplusp ... Dialog.cpp
I guess one of our devs or contributors could port the code and bring to ReactOS a new feature. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
karlexceed

Re: Suggestion: Implement file search based on explorer++

Post by karlexceed »

FYI, Explorer++ works in ROS ;)

Also, RApps includes "Effective File Search", "Everything Search Engine", and "Super Finder XT" in addition to other file explorer-like programs like "Double Commander", "Midnight Commander", and "Total Commander" which all have built-in search capabilities.

I agree that it would be a nice feature to have built in, but with so many other choices available to you, I can see why the devs might consider this to be a lower-priority feature.
ThFabba
Developer

Re: Suggestion: Implement file search based on explorer++

Post by ThFabba »

As a general rule, you should assume that "porting" code from another project to create a ReactOS feature is approximately the same amount of work as writing that feature from scratch.
This becomes less true as the feature you're talking about gets bigger, but for your specific case: searching the file system is easy, and many ReactOS components already do it. The actual work there lies in supporting the correct COM interfaces etc to make it a working shell extension. This part is unlikely to be solved by importing third-party code (because a Windows shell extension to search files is not needed outside of ROS -- Windows already supplies one).