Just a thought ... should a dual core build be tested?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ancient

Just a thought ... should a dual core build be tested?

Post by Ancient »

Thinking about ROS and it's progress. Has there ever been a dual core ROS test build to determine if there will be any major unresolved multi-core issues after it goes beta? Not that it should be dual OS in the alpha built regularly for download on the site, but it may be a bear to rebuild the kernel due to undetected multi core issues embedded with the alpha. My assumption is dual core won't be very stable, but a build occasionally by developers could expose issues which may be easier to correct before the alpha ends. This is not a suggestion to release a multi-core alpha, just a suggestion for a developer to check it out once in a while and determine if evolution to multi-core can be at least streamlined once ROS is beta.
binarymaster

Re: Just a thought ... should a dual core build be tested?

Post by binarymaster »

As far as I know, dual core ReactOS will require APIC HAL and a multiprocessor kernel.

First one is WIP, and second one does not exist yet (if I'm not mistaken). :roll:
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Well, I cannot even find the low-level data on how to enable multicore on a CPU and in a kernel. Someone once gave info about ports or instructions to enable multicore on here, but I cannot find that.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

It exists, but does not much multicore yet.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Then, out of curiosity, what else does it need to do, and how much of this is known?