Community Changelog: 0.4.11 (Work-in-progress)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ctasan

Community Changelog: 0.4.11 (Work-in-progress)

Post by ctasan »

I might be busy in the coming days. Don't wait for me, start writing!!!
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
PurpleGurl

Re: Community Changelog: 0.4.11 (Work-in-progress)

Post by PurpleGurl »

Okay, the associated wiki link is here:

https://reactos.org/wiki/Community_Changelog-0.4.11

I just don't know which commits to start at to include. I mean, which ones will be in 0.4.11.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

PurpleGurl wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm Okay, the associated wiki link is here:
gonzoMD wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 am Everything after https://github.com/reactos/reactos/comm ... ses/0.4.10
I added all commits from 0.4.10 through October 4th to the wiki page. Hopefully I styled it correctly. (And put everything in the right spot! :? )
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

karlexceed wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm
PurpleGurl wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm Okay, the associated wiki link is here:
gonzoMD wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 am Everything after https://github.com/reactos/reactos/comm ... ses/0.4.10
I added all commits from 0.4.10 through October 4th to the wiki page. Hopefully I styled it correctly. (And put everything in the right spot! :? )
Please review "How to contribute" page for Community Changelogs!
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

He means this page:
https://reactos.org/wiki/Community_Chan ... ntribution

I guess the main issue is function names and/or complexity.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Yeah, I took a look at the page. I guess I'm not sure where to draw the line for what's considered too technical. I'm also not familiar enough with the internals of what's being done to summarize it easily. So rather than waste my time only to create more work for others, I'll just bow out and leave it to whomever else wants to try and tackle it.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

No, I think you did well.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Finally I'm back.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

ctasan wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:27 am Finally I'm back.
Welcome back! :D

I think maybe it's worth to place link to the latest commit you processed? So community members could continue working on the log from specific commit. :roll:
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

binarymaster wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:17 pm
ctasan wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:27 am Finally I'm back.
Welcome back! :D

I think maybe it's worth to place link to the latest commit you processed? So community members could continue working on the log from specific commit. :roll:
Thank you! I'll complete the log to date, so I see little need for this.
Unfortunately, it seems that community members didn't read the guide I prepared. :( Last changelog was full of copy and paste, so I wiped out it.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Some of us did... you left the line that I inserted, with minimal changes. I would have likely rewritten the rest had you not returned, and it would have been helpful to know what date or entry was the release boundary. That is partly why I didn't do much, since I didn't know what was previous version and what was current.

Now, if you are referring to compliment above, well, I think I said that because I don't want to discourage anyone from taking a more active role. It is like we are "star-crossed" or whatever, and they and I both work on the same things. I don't think I'm particularly better or anything, but I do come from a different perspective. I don't want to take glory at the expense of others who put forth effort. After all, this is a community endeavor and we should all strive to stay within the spirit of open source. In ways, this is like a ballgame, and not everyone can be athletes. In sports, there are plenty who coach, cheer-lead, clean the locker rooms, polish the floor (if basketball) or keep the field fit (baseball or either type football), manage the publicity, advertise the sport, and even ticket-buying fans. As for me, I dabble in the wiki, report spam and cat fights when I see such, and try to answer questions from what I know so the devs don't have to answer, etc.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

PurpleGurl wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:08 pm Some of us did... you left the line that I inserted, with minimal changes. I would have likely rewritten the rest had you not returned, and it would have been helpful to know what date or entry was the release boundary. That is partly why I didn't do much, since I didn't know what was previous version and what was current.

Now, if you are referring to compliment above, well, I think I said that because I don't want to discourage anyone from taking a more active role. It is like we are "star-crossed" or whatever, and they and I both work on the same things. I don't think I'm particularly better or anything, but I do come from a different perspective. I don't want to take glory at the expense of others who put forth effort. After all, this is a community endeavor and we should all strive to stay within the spirit of open source. In ways, this is like a ballgame, and not everyone can be athletes. In sports, there are plenty who coach, cheer-lead, clean the locker rooms, polish the floor (if basketball) or keep the field fit (baseball or either type football), manage the publicity, advertise the sport, and even ticket-buying fans. As for me, I dabble in the wiki, report spam and cat fights when I see such, and try to answer questions from what I know so the devs don't have to answer, etc.
Well, I have left that entry because it's correctly reflecting what's been done.
Man, Community Changelogs isn't that hard to prepare, you are learning about system components and writing down what's been done or what's improved. At that point ReactOS mostly attracts geeks, so many of our community must be knowing majority of our system components. If you not, no problem, you just Google it or look for some sources and learn easily. For example, you type down "netapi32.dll" and in a few minutes, you now know that netapi32 manages local networking features.

Let's get back on. The guide I suggested is easy. You don't simply copy the commits, you explain them. You browse on JIRA, on GitHub PRs, or external resources to understand. If nothing is helpful, you just ask a dev. Pierre Schweitzer has been mostly helpful to me and I subsequently wrote down CC commits. Now I'll contact with Hermes Belusca for 1st stage setup work.

And Community Changelogs shouldn't be solely based on just one person, me or anyone. Collaborative work is ALWAYS in front of single work. So I request help there, how many people and shares of help is up to you.
Last edited by ctasan on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Both of you doing a fine job. Appreciated.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

ctasan wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:34 pm And Community Changelogs shouldn't be solely based on just one person, me or anyone. Collaborative work is ALWAYS in front of single work. So I request help there, how many people and shares op help is up to you.
I've fixed some typos and added missing parts: https://reactos.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... ldid=47074