ReactOS webserver on realhardware!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matthias

Post by Matthias »

On one hand, ReactOS is there to provide a _free software_ operating system to help people to get rid of proprietary OSes, like Windows. And on the other hand, you want to force people to use a piece of software just as proprietary as windows. It is totally beyond me how you can be so inconsequent!

As i said before, if you absolutely must use flash, at least make sure that gnash will play it...
Harteex

Re: OpenSource contra commercial interests.

Post by Harteex »

Jaix wrote:
Matthias wrote:There is currently no free (as in free speech) and working Flash Player around (Gnash is in alpha stage). By spreading flash movies, you force people to use non-free software and thus you take away their freedom. Actually, spreading flash movies would mean to betray everything free software enthusiasts believe in. It is contrary to the spirit of the GPL and thus the wrong thing to do, especially for a free software project.
Sure, flash is well-spread, it works well and you can do fancy things with it. But my concerns are not of practical, but of ethical nature. What's the point in writing a free (as in freedom) operating system if we then force people to use proprietary software again? It'd be pointless.
Well, I love the opensource movement, but I don't hate the commercial stuff that exists in the world, especially when it's free, it's only creating Flash that craves a commercial software that isn't free. And if we want to create a SVG movie we will need commercial software too, so where do we draw the line? I think we don't have to be hypocritical, I think most of us has some non-opensource software that we use, games, utilities, apps or drivers. But if we can get a SVG-file as good as a flash I am not opposed to use that. I have hosted SVG-files on ros-webserver too, but I havn't seen any really amazing SVG-movies in my life, only static information or maybe some moving content but nothing really impressive.
I think the line should be drawn as follows: "If it is good we can use it! If it's free that's even better and if it is opensource we salute it!"
I don't stop drinking coke because they don't share their recipe, I have a car with a lot of patented solutions and I have a company and I own patents to guard my inventions.
I don't want to throw rocks on anybodys ideas, I just don't want to be an idealist and ascetic, but that is just me.
Exactly what I think.

I think all these religious things regarding to GPL are pretty stupid.
What's the problem for the regular user to use flash? it's free to use.

IMO a world with only gpl is not realistic.

Most people who are going to use ReactOS will use non-gpl software, I'm sure... drivers etc...

I guess I'm a horrible betrayer too then, with my opinion.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

No, I agree completely. A GPL-only world is an unrealistic expectation, and some rare cases, proprietary software can be more useful than Open-Source. Please don't start flaming me because of my opinion; I am a strong believer in the Open-Source movement. Flash Player isn't one of the great evils of the proprietary software world in my mind, and it can be used until Gnash is ready.

However, I don't believe it should be forced on GNU nerds to use closed-source software. If you are really that much of a geek, I suggest having an option to disable Flash content on the website, or rather having an option to enable it.

I don't mean to offend anyone, and if I do I'm sorry, please don't take it personally. I just don't get this obsession with FOSS software; it can have great usefulness where a free proprietary option is not available, such as ReactOS. I just don't believe that it's all that important.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Harteex wrote:IMO a world with only gpl is not realistic.
IMO a world without crime is not realistic. Still that doesn't mean that the police is pointless and that crime should be supported.
Even if a GPL-only world is unrealistic, that doesn't mean we should support proprietary software, does it?

btw, gnash can already play quite a lot of flash movies. If you can make the movie so that it works with gnash, that's OK with me...
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

Matthias wrote:
Harteex wrote:IMO a world with only gpl is not realistic.
IMO a world without crime is not realistic. Still that doesn't mean that the police is pointless and that crime should be supported.
Even if a GPL-only world is unrealistic, that doesn't mean we should support proprietary software, does it?
The thing is, non-gpl isn't really a crime ;)
Matthias wrote:btw, gnash can already play quite a lot of flash movies. If you can make the movie so that it works with gnash, that's OK with me...
I read that as you don't want to continue this debate, and I'm fine with that :P

You just have to know that many in the gpl-community doesn't see gpl as this holy thing.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

Harteex wrote:I read that as you don't want to continue this debate, and I'm fine with that :P
Ok, anyone who can make a stunning flash/SVG-movie which works on firefox and gnash?
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: ReactOS webserver on realhardware!

Post by Jaix »

michael79 wrote:ZazouMiniWebServer also works great on reactos. It support cool
features such as password protected folders and PHP (yes, PHP works
on ReactOS!). I don't think MySQL does. I haven't tested PHP 5 but
if it works, you can use SQLite embedded database for your site.

Good luck
I have tried to get this ZazouMiniWebServer to work, but no luck, what version of ReactOS have you tried with it?
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

It is just like the ATI/Nvidia drivers. You don't need them to run ReactOS
if you have a ATI/Nvidia card then yes you do
On one hand, ReactOS is there to provide a _free software_ operating system to help people to get rid of proprietary OSes, like Windows. And on the other hand, you want to force people to use a piece of software just as proprietary as windows
windows is s@@t and ms cannot be trusted but Macromedia can be trusted and the flash plugin works unlike windows
It is totally beyond me how you can be so inconsequent!
no they are not the ones inconsequent
As i said before, if you absolutely must use flash, at least make sure that gnash will play it
i am a bit of a beginner web designer myself and if i am going to use flash i dot kere yet if gnash can play it gnash is too young in development

btw, gnash can already play quite a lot of flash movies. If you can make the movie so that it works with gnash, that's OK with me...
imho that is bs
tuft

Post by tuft »

Jaix wrote: Ok, anyone who can make a stunning flash/SVG-movie which works on firefox and gnash?
Why use flash? It doesn't prove any server functionality. I think it would be better to show some server side scripting, mysql or cgi. I doubt if mysql works, if you are interested I can make some simple guestbook using just php.

BTW this is nice small server, I havn't ros instaled now, can someone try it?
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

tuft wrote:Why use flash? It doesn't prove any server functionality. I think it would be better to show some server side scripting, mysql or cgi. I doubt if mysql works, if you are interested I can make some simple guestbook using just php.

BTW [url=http://shttpd .sourceforge.net/]this[ /url] is nice small server, I havn't ros instaled now, can someone try it?
Just because it is nice with animations. However a guest book would hade been groovie. I don't see that there are reason to use shttpd instead of tiny they have about the same features,but if I have time I will test that open source alternative cause that is better than freeware.