Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wojo664

Re: Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Post by wojo664 »

OK ;-)
No problem ;-)
Mna.

Post by Mna. »

This one is about filesystems:

FFSDrv
http://ffsdrv.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffsdrv/
FFS File System Driver for Windows
It enables you to read BSD(FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD) FFS partitions on Windows 2000/XP/2003.

License: GPL
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Mna. wrote:This one is about filesystems:

FFSDrv
http://ffsdrv.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffsdrv/
FFS File System Driver for Windows
It enables you to read BSD(FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD) FFS partitions on Windows 2000/XP/2003.

License: GPL
There are so many potential useful projects that directly or indirectly could help Ros, but alas, it's not always that easy to find them. No doubt sourceforge is littered with it, maybe even with things that could directly be used by Ros, and that we're now duplicating. But you can't know them all, I guess. I think the most we get from (for the moment) third parties that is useful is Wine and maybe some (usb?) stuff from haiku.

I don't think there has been other investigations into what other programs, developments or projects might actually be useful. Or am I mistaken? Has there evr been an extensive search for potentially useful things on the Net or sourceforge?
fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan »

I found about Fossil a while ago. It was already suggested as SCM for ReactOS before, and sufficiently discussed here, so I don't reiterate that. What I am suggesting now is Fossil as a possible component or a base for an in-house component for an eventual automatic operating system update mechanism. I consider that the requirements from the head post diagram are met (though there isn't any CLI option at "GUI toolkit" question).
Obviously a system update mechanism would became practical only in post-alpha versions, therefore it's nothing primordial.
DeadDude

Post by DeadDude »

Click n type on screen keyboard.

I don't know if it can be included in the base install, or only possibly within RAPPS.

The author claims 'public domain' on the site.
Here's link
http://cnt.lakefolks.com/

I've been using it all day in ROS now and it seems to be fairly stable all in all. (occasional 'freezes', but the machine snaps out of it in a few seconds- more likely to be memory management or something not related to this app, as I get the same effect without it running)
milon

Post by milon »

DeadDude wrote:Click n type on screen keyboard.
I looked around at their page a bit, and I haven't been able to find what language it's written in. I was seriously tempted to email the author, but I don't want to come across as an official ROS representative. Could one of the admins/devs here do that?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

It's freeware, not open source.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:It's freeware, not open source.
Then deadude, or the author he's talking about, must be mistaken. Because if it's really in the 'public domain', it means it's free to use anyway one likes. Meaning, more free than even GPL. So it can't be a problem if it's not under an open-source licence; you can just make it so.

But of course, 'freeware' != public domain. In which case, it's quite possible one can't use it at all.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

(...)
Unfortunatelly, he doesn't:
Click-N-Type Freeware License:
Now having said all that, you can read our obligatory Legal Notice by clicking here.
If it's stable, it could be still added to RAPPS, though.
zed260

Post by zed260 »

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

anyone know if this program would be usefull and if mit licnese is compatble with reactos
DeadDude

Post by DeadDude »

DISCLAIMER: I'm just curious and I don't know the author of the software in question. I am curious and apologetic if this is OT.

Black_Fox wrote:
(...)
Unfortunatelly, he doesn't:
Click-N-Type Freeware License:
Now having said all that, you can read our obligatory Legal Notice by clicking here.
If it's stable, it could be still added to RAPPS, though.
Sorry to ask a stupid question, but what is the difference between Freeware and Public Domain? I read the 'legal' page, and the wording sounds like Public Domain to me... is it just because they don't want to share the sources? They even say that commercial use is allowed...?

http://kb.iu.edu/data/afdk.html University Information Technology Services, part of Indiana State University.
Freeware
Freeware is also distributed at minimal cost, but in this case the authors do not expect payment for their work. Typically, freeware programs are small utilities or incomplete programs that authors release for their potential benefit to others, but without support. The author of a freeware program may still retain a copyright on its contents and stipulate that others not modify the program or charge significant fees for its use or distribution.

Public domain software
Public domain software is not copyrighted. It is released without any conditions upon its use, and may be used without restriction. This type of software generally has the lowest level of support available.

I thought that since the author puts no restrictions on use it was public domain; I see that I am wrong... but is it *only* because he won't release the sources?

Should there be a new thread for apps to add to RAPPS then?
Is this link 'Official' for this purpose????
http://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... PPS#p91079
milon

Re:

Post by milon »

@zed260, MIT license is okay as per page 1:
oiaohm wrote:MIT license does not exist. Most cases what people think is the MIT licence is the Expat License. That is GPL compatible.

For simplisty I would have myself just pointed them to http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/i ... leLicenses
<addon> Or place a copy of that on reactos in the wiki. So that new licenses don't need updating of chart. </addon>
EDIT - Tested Classic Shell in VBox on 56737. Installer failed to start with this message: "Classic Shell requires Windows Vista or later." Anyone know how Classic Shell checks Windows version? It would be great to test it out on ROS!
SomeGuy

Re: Re:

Post by SomeGuy »

milon wrote:EDIT - Tested Classic Shell in VBox on 56737.
Correct me if I am wrong, but ClassicShell isn't a complete shell replacement. It inserts and overrides various pieces of (likely undocumented) functionality of the existing Vista/Windows 7 shell.
DeadDude

Post by DeadDude »

SomeGuy wrote:
milon wrote:EDIT - Tested Classic Shell in VBox on 56737.
Correct me if I am wrong, but ClassicShell isn't a complete shell replacement. It inserts and overrides various pieces of (likely undocumented) functionality of the existing Vista/Windows 7 shell.
So wouldn't that by proxy make it a great tool to test ROS against? If it works, then ROS implements the 'undocumented features' of Windows, and it is surely not the only program to do this... so we still need it to work! :P

I've often wondered what version ROS reports itself as to apps. Drivers can be as old as W2k or as new as Vista? I don't get it.

But apps like ClassicShell eventually need to run properly no matter how you cut it.

And ClassicShell is open-source.

So couldn't you view the source code of ClassicShell to DOCUMENT the UNDOCUMENTED system hooks???? Cuz, I think that is the point of them suggesting it...?
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

DeadDude wrote:So wouldn't that by proxy make it a great tool to test ROS against? If it works, then ROS implements the 'undocumented features' of Windows, and it is surely not the only program to do this... so we still need it to work! :P
Such APIs are usually undocumented because they are not intended for anyone other than Microsoft to use. In fact, if you read the ClassicShell page they mention some of the things they were doing no longer work in Windows 8 because Microsoft changed or removed whatever method they were using to modify the shell behavior.

So on the one hand it doesn't make sense to even implement things that applications shouldn't use and may change between Windows versions (even between service packs or patches!), on the other hand you know some idiot out there is relying on them for something critical. :?