Tmax Window, windows compatible proprietary OS from Korea

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Tmax Window, windows compatible proprietary OS from Korea

Post by vicmarcal »

coldReactive wrote:
A blogger who used demo PC have found a GPL License document file in Tmax Office folder. He insists it is an evidence of import of GPL source.
Uh-oh
The License is a Sun Microsystem Lesser GPL.

Lesser GPLs can be included in private software(of course following some rules) easier than GPL license.
manatails007

Post by manatails007 »

cleansugar wrote: They developmented OOXML functions by reverse engineering.
developmented? :P
cleansugar

Post by cleansugar »

Ha Ha sorry~!
SpoonmAn

Post by SpoonmAn »

after watching the videos it seems to me like Microsoft is going to kill them anyway, they even use MS Icon design (for desktop for example) so i doubt microsoft will let them sell one copy of this fraud...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Few interesting quotes from osnews:
I really really feel shame on this topic.

I have heard about this about two or three days ago. and I was like Huh? another open source copy case? Then yesterday I searched a bit on google. As I am fluent in Korean, I read through several different articles and blogs. Some are from people who have attended the presentation thing.

They demonstrated only for few minutes and rest of the time was filled with lecture kind of boring nonsense thing. There was no user interaction except for few non technical reporters. It took about 10 minutes to load StarCraft, it was slow and they showed only replay not actual game play. They used XP to demonstrate so called their own office suite which seems exact copy of OpenOffice.org with modification on logo. Still it was dog-slow. It is believed to be a copy of OpenOffice.org because UI is identical, there was GPL license in one of its folder, and it does not support Korean's favourite document format called .hwp. They also showed webkit based web browser. However, it was again run on XP. Their own media player was also slow and lag occasionally so they could not run for more than few minutes. They claimed even though they could not reach 100% compatibility with Windows binary yet, it would be reached before the release which is Oct or Nov. this year!

There was also someone claims it used kind of embedded Linux kernel under the hood.

Nothing new nothing fancy and suspicious. Mere five years are darn no enough time to develop a new OS from the ground up with Windows, Linux, Mac compatibility. Did I mention they also claimed compatibility with Mac binaries?

I foresee that it would be found out that they were just complete a**holes.

I smell black money here.
10 minutes to load Starcraft? Dunno if we can run it on ROS, but much bigger Baldur`s Gate (which has much bigger resource requirements) starts on my real hardware (PIII 850Mhz, 384 MB SDRAM) under 20 seconds... Even if this guy overacts, and it took only half of that time, 5 minutes to start Starcraft is bit... strange?
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

That's why I said, I can't be bothered about this. The notion that they can come up with a Windows-compatible OS in the short timeframe they claimed is a bit dubious, to put it kindly. And if it really became a big thing, Microsoft would be getting them anyway.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I wish MS dont kill them because the next reason:
-Killing them means noone in the world can recreate an OS with Win32 APPs support and with Windows Drivers support.

It means ReactOS will be killed.

The ones that have to sue them is the different GPL projects involved which GPL licenses has been "violated": Wine, OpenOffice,Firefox,...
They can use the strenght of the FSF foundation to sue Tmax.

But again i hope the sue comes from the FSF instead MS.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

Tmax is claiming Tmax Window uses a microkernel. Windows NT uses a hybrid microkernel/monolithic kernel. Linux uses a monolithic kernel. Tmax says it will run both Windows and Unix apps. So, with this information, these are the possible truths to this situation.

1. Tmax is lying about the kernel architecture, and Tmax is Linux using Wine. Possible.
2. Tmax is honest about the kernel architecture, and Tmax is MINIX using Wine. Less possible.
3. Tmax is a ReactOS hack that is using a POSIX compatibility layer for Linux compatibility. (I can't remember how our POSIX is working right now, never really tested it.) Most likely.
4. Least likely, a small Korean comany none of us has ever heard of has pulled off in a few years what it's taken an international open-source project over a decade to do. :roll:

Too bad there's no photos of the command line. Then we'd be able to tell if it was running CMD.exe or Bash. :?

We can assume that they aren't running at 100% compatibility because neither ReactOS or Wine run at 100% compatibility. The only way to pull that off would to do dirty reverse-engineering, which is a big no-no. On the bright side, if Tmax did go dirty, the Wine guys would have someone else to be suspicious about instead of ReactOS. :P

They ran Starcraft? Big whoop. Starcraft is listed as a "Silver Application" on Wine's compatibility database. We can run it too.

So there's a public beta in November. I'm guessing if they are stealing ReactOS code, then they've hacked together a new GUI (or skinned over explorer_new) and wrote a few proprietary programs with no regard to Windows compatibility. Assuming Tmax Window takes as long to develop as a Windows release, then a year from then we'd see the Gold release. We're almost at 0.4, and by November 2010 we should be around 0.5 or so. It seems awfully convenient that Tmax Window will go gold just as we're hitting a beta release that is stable enough for everyday use.
jonata

Post by jonata »

Hello there

I had an idea: If they use our code, we could use their marketing...
[ external image ]
:D :D :D :D :D
greenie

Post by greenie »

jonata that logo actually looks really cool. I really havn't seen the tmax logo anywhere. Apart from a blurry video of the desktop.
theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

jonata wrote:Some screenshots from the official site: http://www.tmaxwindow.co.kr/
Looks nice. But screenshots saying not much.
It don't say which programs can run on it and which programs can not. It don't say anything about the performance of Tmax Window.

Btw: Looks ReactOS on its screenshots nice, too. And there existing also videos where on ReactOS only programs are startet, which on ReactOS runs perfect.

Better would be, if there existing Trial-Versions or Demo-Versions of Tmax Window.
But that they are still not existing, let me suppose, that Tmax Window isn't already ready.

Additional I find the screenshots of Tmax Office interesting.
If you compare the Window-Theme between the screenshots of Tmax Office and Tmax Window, you can see, that they have created screenshots of TMax Office under Windows XP!
But how would Tmax Office looking on Tmax Window?
Runs it still buggy on it, so that they have created the screenshot on Windows?

Greatings
theuserbl
Ne0

Re: Tmax Window, windows compatible proprietary OS from Kore

Post by Ne0 »

Tmax Window 9 was their last OS
Their new OS based on Unix, called TmaxOS, will be released in 20 days.

Korean: http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/20 ... 00797.HTML
English: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/te ... 93150.html