Making ReactOS more public

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

naums

Re: Making ReactOS more public

Post by naums »

Besides, you would need to sell thousands of stickers to hire a dev like Aleksey for one afternoon
Well, but there are thousands of users and potential fans out there ;).
But at least we still have shitloads of unsold coffee mugs and stickers to remember it forever
What if we order them as the fans buy 'em? So to say: Someone ordered a t-shirt so let's get it printed.

MfG Naums
Last edited by naums on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zydon

Post by zydon »

From my POV, ROS in alpha stage, unable yet to fulfill the public demand as a full scale OS. So, advertising it only could go as much as the awareness of it existence. Nothing more. If the objective is to find more developers or solution to speed up it's completion, ROS should be introduce as an OS forensic for Windows OS based to IT schools. Help the student understand the NT based OS and probably many new student will get involve as supporting developers.

In that case, the advertising material must fit the target audiences. Some visual materials such as the structure of the internal ROS and it's components architectures that could be used in the class to help student re-create and solving most of the problems they're facing in making the OS. The burden of dealing with new ideas could be distributed to the educators before the best and working one reaching the developers for evaluations.

ROS marketing department need a new strategy developing extensive documentations for the existing version that targeted to educators and students instead of general public. Most likely some kind of a developer version documentation and whitepaper. Any suggestion to refer Windows OS documentation will make it losing some audience because they want to know what is ROS as at now.

So, when ROS reaching the Beta status, the OS and it's documentations project running at same pace.
darthmetal

Post by darthmetal »

With the amount of social media and the speed of the internet these days advertising wouldn't be a problem. There is nothing worse than promising something that is not yet reachable. I think when ROS is around 80% or higher to go beta, then do something viral and get people on board. I guess the next thing to see is when this project can get off the ground more and get more things compatible with the OS.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

I have already posted about this. We need to group up first, get more devs and promote ROS when its out of alpha.

Advertising isn't the issue, its getting good press and getting business on our side. Without corporate support ROS will be slow moving for a long time.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Murmur wrote:I have already posted about this. We need to group up first, get more devs and promote ROS when its out of alpha.

Advertising isn't the issue, its getting good press and getting business on our side. Without corporate support ROS will be slow moving for a long time.
The biggest thing I see at this point that we need is information/research and developers. More developers are good until you reach the Law of Diminishing Returns. The Mythical Man Month is a good book on the topic. It says that you have to reduce the number of communication links needed. I used to know the formula. If you have 2 people, you have one communication link. With 3, you have 3. With 4 people, you have 6 communication links. So with the right hierarchy, you can reduce the consequences of the Law of Diminishing Returns. The key is partitioning the jobs. Some jobs cannot be partitioned and shared, like you cannot have two women to deliver a single baby in only 4.5 months together. So the management relates only with the team leaders, and the team leaders relate to their own teams. So groups of teams rather than a hodgepodge. Having 200+ active developers can work, but they have to be divided into many teams, and each team having their own tasks to do and requiring no interaction with the other teams.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Well, the mailing list yielded the suggestion that they simply LACK organisation so far, and I, too, believe that first you need to get your organisation straight. - If you do not one benevolent dictator, get a "revolving triumvirate", but something needs to be done.

As to the formula, I do not know it either, but might it be perchance: number of links = number of knots * (number of knots - 1) / 2 ?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Aeneas wrote: As to the formula, I do not know it either, but might it be perchance: number of links = number of knots * (number of knots - 1) / 2 ?
Correct ;)

Now thanks to meetings we can take important decissions much easier :)
Hope soon we will end solving the latest points about organization and we can move even faster :)
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Aeneas wrote:Well, the mailing list yielded the suggestion that they simply LACK organisation so far, and I, too, believe that first you need to get your organisation straight. - If you do not one benevolent dictator, get a "revolving triumvirate", but something needs to be done.

As to the formula, I do not know it either, but might it be perchance: number of links = number of knots * (number of knots - 1) / 2 ?
Yes, that formula seems to fit. I have a backup way to find that out, and that requires building a table (adding and incrementing 1 more than what you added to get the previous result), even if just in my head, and your formula gives me the same answers.

While we can make Reactos more public, right now, the goal should be more about getting the help of more developers. It wouldn't hurt to organize the help we have more.