Making ReactOS more public

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Good observations, Aeneas.
jcalvarez

Re: Making ReactOS more public

Post by jcalvarez »

For whatever is worth, I find those +/- ( like/nolike and so on) buttons completely useles. You should always read the post and decide for yourself if you like it or not. I think there are already enough features to remove trolls and the likes. All needed is to be able to ignore posts from people you do not like. That should be enough.

Regarding developers, yes, many of them do not suffer fools gladly, and guess what, there is nothing wrong with that ;)

Regards,

Jose
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

jcalvarez wrote:For whatever is worth, I find those +/- ( like/nolike and so on) buttons completely useles. You should always read the post and decide for yourself if you like it or not. I think there are already enough features to remove trolls and the likes. All needed is to be able to ignore posts from people you do not like. That should be enough.

Regarding developers, yes, many of them do not suffer fools gladly, and guess what, there is nothing wrong with that ;)

Regards,

Jose
I imagine the attitudes of the developers are about like the attitudes that surgeons used to have. They would tell patients and other doctors what they felt, and years ago, nobody really could say anything, since that talent was hard to find. So that is why we put up with it here, because we realize they are valuable and we wouldn't be even this far without them.

And I have mixed feelings about moderation systems. They can often be manipulated, they punish the wrong people, and they punish people just for their POV. Like on Intense Debate, I have a highly negative score because I made 2-3 posts mentioning my opposition to a certain moral issue. I merely disagreed. I wasn't ugly nor judgmental about it, but simply shared what I felt. I merely said what was unpopular. So the like and dislike buttons are used there to tar and feather people, and I am sure they get their friends, resort to sock-puppetry, and so on. Even on a certain question and answers site ran by a large Internet portal site, their community moderation system is used to stifle free speech and unpopular views, and keep status quo intact. And most of the moderators they have who can override that mess on occasion are even more clueless than the software.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Honestly I don't see the need for one in this community, its all opinion based for something like this so you can't really tell people that their opinion is wrong.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

I've seen a similar karma system come and go at another board. It seemed like a really neat idea at first, but it proved worse than useless in the end and was removed.

I agree it would be nice to find some way to bring more visitors to this forum and improve the quality of the posts. However, I don't think an automated system will quite do that. My unexperienced observation is that more advanced moderation techniques might be needed. For example, more aggressive splitting of posts and "abyssing" irrelevant or negative posts. It might make a few individuals unhappy but at least the rest of the world won't have to see it. There are also some support oriented boards that issue moderator-granted "medals" to helpful individuals, and that seems to work fairly well.

In a global community like this opinions and points of view can and will vary wildly. (For example what defines a "finished product" obviously means very different things to different people!)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I've seen a similar karma system come and go at another board. It seemed like a really neat idea at first, but it proved worse than useless in the end and was removed.
Precisely. We simply dont need it here.
mfldelton

Post by mfldelton »

Maybe we can think of why there is only like button on facebook.

And yeah, testers may seems to have less code contributions, but are we here because we want to get blamed by anyone? For me at least, I am contributing my free time here and unpleasant feelings, blames are not what I wanna get. Think twice before you post, please.

(ps: and that's Chinese but NOT chineese)
luluthefirst

Post by luluthefirst »

The worst thing ever I hate in windows : have to reboot because of updates, even in Windows server you have to reboot :evil:
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

luluthefirst wrote:The worst thing ever I hate in windows : have to reboot because of updates, even in Windows server you have to reboot :evil:
not sure why this is here...
naums

Post by naums »

Did I ever tell you that you are way off topic?

I just wondered if there is a store or something around here, that sells ros-t-shirts or stickers or CDs, whatever. I would like to buy some, so the project would gather some money... I don't have a clue what you do with this money, probably paying the servers etc... But I think a store might be a not so bad idea.

MfG Naums
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

naums wrote:Did I ever tell you that you are way off topic?

I just wondered if there is a store or something around here, that sells ros-t-shirts or stickers or CDs, whatever. I would like to buy some, so the project would gather some money... I don't have a clue what you do with this money, probably paying the servers etc... But I think a store might be a not so bad idea.

MfG Naums
If Reactos had enough money, it is possible the foundation could decide to hire professional programmers or to pay ones we already have to where they could take a sabbatical from an existing job and dedicate more time to the project. It could also go to newer hardware so developers will know what people are using these days and code accordingly. Reactos doesn't fully utilize my dual-core system, and we know it won't fully utilize the 6 and soon, 8-core systems.
naums

Post by naums »

okay. So do you have a shop? Or do I have to make one for the new Homepage?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

naums wrote:okay. So do you have a shop? Or do I have to make one for the new Homepage?
There are several options to avoid managing directly an e-shop but hiring the service to an external company which shares some of the income with the project. They also bill and send the goods :)
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

But it's not free.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Pisarz wrote:But it's not free.
True, but even having to pay commission is better than nothing. Of course, what we could have would be volunteer store staff and managers. Some might not be good at coding, but good at organizing fundraisers.

So back to the original, no, we don't have to advertise an incomplete project. But we can work to develop a fan base and interest, even sell memorabilia and other things to generate revenue to help speed up the project. Non-profits sometimes have to hire paid staff because they can't get qualified volunteers to put in the necessary hours.