Making ReactOS more public

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

naums

Re: Making ReactOS more public

Post by naums »

Advertise... I don't think on TV spots or something like MS. But for example, when I wear a T-Shirt with "ReactOS - The WindowsClone" printed on it (or something like that). Or maybe with the wallpapers of me printed on it. ^^ Then maybe people will come here, and maybe some good programmers.

MfG Naums
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

naums wrote:Advertise... I don't think on TV spots or something like MS. But for example, when I wear a T-Shirt with "ReactOS - The WindowsClone" printed on it (or something like that). Or maybe with the wallpapers of me printed on it. ^^ Then maybe people will come here, and maybe some good programmers.

MfG Naums
A cheaper first step could be making an "Ask me about ReactOS" banner to use in any other forums.
naums

Post by naums »

You see my current banner? (doesn't look like much, but that's all ;) ) I already use it in most other forums.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Adblock hides it (probably because of the word "banner" in address).
naums

Post by naums »

Uhm. I have several version of adblock installed (FF and Chrome) and it never hides my banner. of course I'm using german lists. Maybe you have this feature disabled in UCP of the Forum.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

There is no "maybe" or anything, I told you only after I tried out disabling Adblock and the banner appeared. :) Chrome, Easylist + Czech filters.
Saibamen

Post by Saibamen »

Change name to reactos_b.jpg for example and don't upload to /banner/ folder.

Banner in my hosting: http://it-maniak.pl/reactos_b.jpg
ReactOS Forum Global Moderator
IT-Maniak.pl administrator
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

naums wrote:Uhm. I have several version of adblock installed (FF and Chrome) and it never hides my banner. of course I'm using german lists. Maybe you have this feature disabled in UCP of the Forum.
Under FF, you have much more ability to customize Adblock Plus. Not only can you choose your subscription lists, but you can easily make your own filters. That is how I used the FF version. I never added any lists, but added elements I didn't like as I found them. The FF version lets you pull up a resources window with a list of all things that can be blocked on that page. There is a lot of comprises you have to make when making a filter list. For instance, removing Facebook-related code can speed loading of a number of pages if you don't use the feature on the sites, but if you also use Facebook, blocking some of its elements causes problems. Or, take video sites for example. They are set to require certain ad sites to get loaded, or the video or television program won't play. So try to watch full length shows on CBS or Hulu with Doubleclick blocked, and you will either get an error or a notice that you must allow the ads in to watch it.

But yes, banners for sites and signatures are one good way to help let others know what we have to offer.
naums

Post by naums »

Saibamen: I used my banner on your server. Does it now work?
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

naums wrote:Saibamen: I used my banner on your server. Does it now work?
It works now.
Drazic

Post by Drazic »

It has been said before, but there is absolutely no point in advertising Reactos to end-users (or even developers). Devs with enough knowledge to write kernel/subsystem code will come across the project very easily, because just by googling for some win32 API you will come across parts of the Reactos codebase in most cases.

What Reactos (IMHO) needs is some Fortune 500 company which is willing to take the risk to invest in the project, knowing that they may be sued by MS at some point. I'm sure that there are many board directors, business angels, etc. which would have no problem to take that risk, after realizing the great potential this project has. But they cannot be reached by walking by with a t-shirt, or a Reactos bumper sticker ;)

I really appreciate all the efforts in this thread, and all (positive) publicity is welcome, so don't get me wrong. It's just that it feels so pointless.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Drazic wrote:It has been said before, but there is absolutely no point in advertising Reactos to end-users (or even developers). Devs with enough knowledge to write kernel/subsystem code will come across the project very easily, because just by googling for some win32 API you will come across parts of the Reactos codebase in most cases.

What Reactos (IMHO) needs is some Fortune 500 company which is willing to take the risk to invest in the project, knowing that they may be sued by MS at some point. I'm sure that there are many board directors, business angels, etc. which would have no problem to take that risk, after realizing the great potential this project has. But they cannot be reached by walking by with a t-shirt, or a Reactos bumper sticker ;)

I really appreciate all the efforts in this thread, and all (positive) publicity is welcome, so don't get me wrong. It's just that it feels so pointless.
The intention of the tees and all are not to advertise, but to generate PR. Give everyone a warm fuzzy feeling about the project, build a fanbase, and sell memorabilia items. Selling the items is not to advertise, but to generate revenue. Sort of like school bake sales, yard sales, etc., but with things like shirts, cups, mouse pads, bumper stickers, etc. All the proceeds would go to the foundation. So you are advertising the memorabilia, not the OS, and use the proceeds from the memorabilia to help develop.

Sure, we could use huge corporate sponsors. But what if we don't get any for a decade? What will we do? We will have to make it somehow, and if we have to gain the resources we need in more of a "grass roots" style or soliciting public support, then so be it. The key is to survive and keep pushing ahead no matter what.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
naums

Post by naums »

Well it is very clear that advertising the operating system is no good idea right now, but how about a more fun advertisment, where we replicate the Windows 7 advertisments and just make people laugh about it. I don't think that this is illegal because we just do it on youtube and there are other people who do similar things. For example:

There is a guy sitting on the toilett (like the windows guy) and he says "The Idea came here, I was just sitting here like always, and there it was, the idea for a better and easier operating system".

okay... it needs more work. ^^ You know, just like a little trailer on youtube, where people can laugh about the way Microsoft wants make us buy Windows. That would be advertising the operating system and foundation, and gaining a fanbase, but I guess this ain't much sensefull in your eyes.

Do we have a youtube-account as reactOS? So we could post walkthroughs or something showing and introducing the people (into) reactOS.

MfG naums
Drazic

Post by Drazic »

Sort of like school bake sales, yard sales, etc., but with things like shirts, cups, mouse pads, bumper stickers, etc. All the proceeds would go to the foundation.
I don't think the people that aren't donating now, will start donating when they get a free cup/pad with their donation. Besides, you would need to sell thousands of stickers to hire a dev like Aleksey for one afternoon ;)
Drazic

Post by Drazic »

Sure, we could use huge corporate sponsors. But what if we don't get any for a decade?
Reactos will be dead then. But at least we still have shitloads of unsold coffee mugs and stickers to remember it forever :lol: