[NewIdea]A new way to push ReactOS Development [NewIdea]

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: [NewIdea]A new way to push ReactOS Development [NewIdea]

Post by Webunny »

Bblaauw wrote:Want me to clear it? I don't mind doing so as I didn't continue with filing bugs for a while now.
I've halted ReactOS real hardware testing till USB hubs are supported (as my keyboard has one, and is internally connected to that) and Ramdisk booting is working as well.
Well, there's a scrollbar at the bottom now, so it doesn't really bother me that much anymore. I think it's more important you keep testing. ;-)

I've been testing on real hardware too, with some success with my third PC, but I'm not sure what I should do now. USB doesn't work with me.
For testing additional hardware I need drivers that work and get recognised (and it's not easy to try to implement them once you've installed Ros, without a 'reinstall driver' option or something similar) and reinstalling Ros every time I want to try new stuff becomes a bit tedious. I guess I could est some software, but even if I get an error - even in screendebug - it doesn't say much. More-over, I can't just copy/paste it in the forum here, when the Ros-PC hangs.

But...I'm willing to continue. If some devs want me to test this or that, I'll try.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

[…] reinstalling Ros every time I want to try new stuff becomes a bit tedious.
Registry files are in C:\ReactOS\system32\config\. You can create a reserve copy of them after installation; then, instead of reinstalling the whole OS, copy these saved files back. (Needless to say, all this should be done under other OS, not under running ReactOS.)
Webunny

Re:

Post by Webunny »

hto wrote:
Registry files are in C:\ReactOS\system32\config\. You can create a reserve copy of them after installation; then, instead of reinstalling the whole OS, copy these saved files back. (Needless to say, all this should be done under other OS, not under running ReactOS.)
I guess I could do that, but as of yet it's a dedicated Ros system without dualboot or anything.

It would be cool if a dev would implement the 'reinstall driver' option, though. Or at least, give the opportunity to 'search for new hardware' and re-implemnt the sequence of driver-search that one has at the beginning of the instalment of Ros.
oldman

Re: Re:

Post by oldman »

Webunny wrote:
hto wrote:
I guess I could do that, but as of yet it's a dedicated Ros system without dualboot or anything.
Use a live cd. I use puppy linux to move files to/from my usb stick to the hard drive.
Webunny

Re: Re:

Post by Webunny »

oldman wrote:
Use a live cd. I use puppy linux to move files to/from my usb stick to the hard drive.
Guess for the purpose of testing software that does make more sense. Albeit, it was primarily the reason to test it on real hardware that got me interested.
JPCG

Post by JPCG »

Hi haven't been here for some time but:
How about a Flattr Page. I would donate/subscribe there. Also it could be good for PR. Found a lot of interesting projects over there...
milon

Post by milon »

JPCG wrote:Hi haven't been here for some time but:
How about a Flattr Page. I would donate/subscribe there. Also it could be good for PR. Found a lot of interesting projects over there...
*cough*
http://www.reactos.org/en/foundation_donate.html