Request for testing on real hardware

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SomeGuy

Re: Request for testing on real hardware

Post by SomeGuy »

Ok, submitted bug http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6657 with logs from each. Looking at the logs they both end with the same failed assertion, so it appears this specific issue is the same for both of them.

The driver for VirtualBox (using 3.2.8) was the one downloaded from the Applications Manager, and worked in 0.3.13.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

After the latest revision, it gets a hair further before crashing. Each does something slightly different so I submitted a bug for each:

http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6662
http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6663
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

Now you've entered into territory I'm not familiar with, the sound stack. I'll try my best to see what I can do to fix them and/or bug the sound stack developer.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Feed aicommander with more Network cards! Seems he is fixing all of them! 3COM are fixed now!!
0.3.14 deserves to be called 0.4 RC!!
Saibamen

Post by Saibamen »

Please test and edit this wiki page: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Supported_H ... work_cards
ReactOS Forum Global Moderator
IT-Maniak.pl administrator
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Is it neccesary that a test Desktop-PC has a native seriell port ON BOARD ?

Or can i use a PCI-seriell card ? (for debug logging via Null-Modem-cable)

The question is, if it is so "deep" in system, that Ros accepts it like one on motherboard.

But i don't know...
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

I've done some more hardware fixes recently. I patched an NDIS bug that could cause certain network drivers (like the 3Com drivers) to crash when reading registry information. I've also fixed a bug with some PS/2 mice not initializing properly and implemented support for hot plugging PS/2 mice like Windows and Linux can (one must be plugged in at boot for this to work, same as Windows). Please test out the new fixes, especially if you've had issues with mouse or NIC support on previous builds.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

I was wanting to throw some more network cards at ReactOS, but it seems like everything new out there these days, unless you get in to server equipment, is all Realtek based. :(

On that network card page it is important to show what chipset the card actually has. Some vendors change around their chips without changing the name or model number of the card. D-link is really bad about this, I just obtained a new DGE-530T expecting it to have a Marvell chipset like the old ones, but as it turns out the DGE-530T "rev c1" is actually a rebadged Realtek 8169. :shock:

Question: I know the target driver version for ReactOS is Windows XP NDIS 5.1, but is it supposed to be compatible with Windows 2000 NDIS 5.0 or NT 4 drivers? Have a couple of really old cards that don't have NDIS 5.1 drivers.
wildschwein wrote:Or can i use a PCI-seriell card ? (for debug logging via Null-Modem-cable)
The simple answer is no. The problem is PCI serial cards, even if they have a compatible UART, will default PCI assigned I/O addresses and will not be present by default at the standard "COM1/COM2" address. Some cards have DOS utilities that can temporarily change the addresses, but ReactOS hasn't been able to start from DOS in ages. Now if you could specify the 4-digit hex address as a ReactOS kernel parameter then perhaps it might work, but I don't see an option for that. There is an option to specify IRQ though. I kind of doubt there is any easy way for ReactOS to auto detect a PCI serial card at the level the debugger runs at.
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

SomeGuy wrote:Question: I know the target driver version for ReactOS is Windows XP NDIS 5.1, but is it supposed to be compatible with Windows 2000 NDIS 5.0 or NT 4 drivers? Have a couple of really old cards that don't have NDIS 5.1 drivers.
Yes, older drivers should work just fine, since the NDIS API is backwards-compatible.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

I thought you might want to know I just got an old 3com 3c590 Etherlink III PCI working under ReactOS. There was a slight issue with ReactOS recognizing the INF file, but a slight edit worked around that - filed bug http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6676 on that.

The really interesting thing - as far as I can tell it works perfectly under ReactOS. But Windows XP crashes and burns!!!! :shock: :lol:
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

wildschwein wrote: Or can i use a PCI-seriell card ? (for debug logging via Null-Modem-cable)
The simple answer is no.
And the more complex answer is yes. :)
kate1ft

Post by kate1ft »

I would really like to test it on my reactos-test machine, but because of bug 5857 (mshtml) i can't install it.
milon

Post by milon »

kate1ft wrote:I would really like to test it on my reactos-test machine, but because of bug 5857 (mshtml) i can't install it.
A LiveCD should work though. At least, it works for me in VirtualBox (and my VirtualBox hangs on the install CD at the mshtml part too).
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Tested a Netgear FA310TX and Linksys LNE100TX v1 on ReactOS - both are basically the same card with a LC83C169 chip. ReactOS installs the driver, but unfortunately attempting to ping or do anything else shows the network as unreachable. Submitted bug: http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6678
visota

Post by visota »

This error has been revealed by me, a bit earlier, http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6349 and nobody has answered why means ROS don't copy files of drivers, at manual copying all starts to work. I can assist in testing on real hardware, professionally I am engaged in repair and debugging of computers.