Request for testing on real hardware

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fred02

Re: Request for testing on real hardware

Post by fred02 »

DarkSnake-Kobra wrote:I'd like to test ReactOS on a spare computer, but I don't have many cd's left(rather use them for something important).
If you have some CD-RW (usually bundled with your CD/DVD writer), you can use them. It should allow you to do ~1000 tests of different ROS builds per CD.
clancg2003

Post by clancg2003 »

I can give ReactOS a try again on my pentium II. Unfortunately last time the RAM was a major hindrance. Perhaps this time it'll work better. I'll post my specs later and try to start testing tomorrow.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

What was your problem with RAM?
clancg2003

Post by clancg2003 »

Haos wrote:What was your problem with RAM?
The machine only has 64mb. Last time I tested it I'd be fortunate if I was able to get it to start up without something crashing one out of like every four or five times. I was told by one of the developers (I forgot who exactly) that while ReactOS should theoretically work with this amount, it just isn't able to run stably with such little ram in its current state or something along the lines of that.
DarkSnake-Kobra

Post by DarkSnake-Kobra »

fred02 wrote:If you have some CD-RW (usually bundled with your CD/DVD writer), you can use them. It should allow you to do ~1000 tests of different ROS builds per CD.
Don't have any of those ether. Well my dad gave me the rest of his so I can try that. Leaving town tomorrow so I'll have to check this out later. Might try and pickup so CD-RW next time I get more. Normally I buy the cheap CD-R 100 packs. ;)
Xubuntu 11.10 x32 Running VirtualBox: |FreeBSD|FreeDOS|ReactOS|
[ external image ]
Alahndro

Post by Alahndro »

I would really like to test it on my reactos-test machine, but because of bug 5857 (mshtml) i can't install it.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

I would really like to test it on my reactos-test machine, but because of bug 5857 (mshtml) i can't install it.
Have you tried the trick from comment #63 in that bug report?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

aicommander wrote:
Could you check in device manager and tell me if you see "ACPI Fixed Feature Button", "Power Button", or "Sleep Button" under "System devices"? Thanks for the report on USB. I'm going to look into the problem on some real hardware when I get the chance. It's working on QEMU with emulated USB keyboard and mouse.
There is an ACPI fixed Feature Button, an ACPI Hardware and an ACPI power button device
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

clancg2003 wrote: The machine only has 64mb. Last time I tested it I'd be fortunate if I was able to get it to start up without something crashing one out of like every four or five times. I was told by one of the developers (I forgot who exactly) that while ReactOS should theoretically work with this amount, it just isn't able to run stably with such little ram in its current state or something along the lines of that.
0.3.12 is the last you can try with your limited amount of system memory. See [http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=6769] (bug 6526). Unfortunately that doesn't allow you to test latest trunk (hang at MSHTML, 2nd phase, if only 64MB). It also shows virtual memory usage (through pagefile) isn't properly implemented (otherwise 64MB wouldn't be an issue at all). If the build machines automatically tested at 64MB instead of 128MB+ some stuff might get caught/fixed a tad faster.
(for ReactOS itself, not for applications).

Perhaps the LiveCD is an option, haven't tried that for ages.
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

Hm Rbuild versions of trunk might work for a 64MB situation, they don't contain MSHTML (Wine Gecko). Anyway, goodluck testing. Maybe I'll test as well, but lacking any harddisk with FAT partitions, so sticking to LiveCD likely.
Alahndro

Post by Alahndro »

Have you tried the trick from comment #63 in that bug report?
Read comment #65 and you know that I have!

Mhhh, what I haven't tried is the debug-build on real hardware with this option - maybe tomorrow
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

Just tested rev 54190 in QEMU, showing that phase 1 can be completed with 64MB, as well as phase 2 (despite the unaligned timezone text). However phase 3 is severely broken.
Have fun with http://iso.reactos.org/bootcd/bootcd-54191-dbg.7z or newer, on real hardware. One of these days a 'good enough working trunk' might exist :)
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

Just tried LiveCD (dbg), it seems to use a non-ACPI HAL by default as Shutdown wasn't working (which bootcd does work with). 64MB doesn't seem to be enough, and there's tons of error messages showing in QEMU's console log.
(plus missing desktop icons).
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

well... 64 MB is intended to use with bootcd, not livecd. Obviously, livecd eats quite more RAM than the installed version
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

ah I ment tons of errors even with 128MB, for LiveCD.
Anyway, if bootCD is able to get within 64MB for all phases again, we're getting somewhere as then behaviour on real hardware can be compared to behaviour inside various emulators / virtualisation environments.