RAPPS - For those that want more from it.

Got a ReactOS tutorial to share? Drop it in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

wojo664

RAPPS - For those that want more from it.

Post by wojo664 »

RAPPS, previously known as Download!, is a small program that allows users to download multiple programs without hassle. It now provides a selection of programs, but for some people it is not enough.

Some people may complain why there is no his/her favourite application in the RAPPS list.

This Tutorial will try to cover the basic functionality of the list and the specific list entries in the files.

So let's begin.

When you first start RAPPS, it will automatically connect to the internet, and it will seek for the file "rappmgr.cab". Then, it will extract the contents of this archive file to the same location where main RAPPS executable is, creating a folder called "rapps".
The contents of the archive are just .txt files, saved in utf-8 format.

Every single file that is on download list in RAPPS, has it's own "description" file.

Let's look under the hood, what is inside :-)

Here is a description file that corresponds to the DosBox program:

Code: Select all

; UTF-8

[Section]
Name = DOSBox
Version = 0.74
Licence = GPL
Description = DOSBox is a DOS emulator.
Size = 1.38MB
Category = 15
URLSite = http://www.dosbox.com/
URLDownload = http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/project/dosbox/dosbox/0.74/DOSBox0.74-win32-installer.exe
CDPath = none

[Section.0407]
Description = DOSBox ist ein DOS Emulator.

[Section.040a]
Description = DOSBox es un emulador de DOS.

[Section.040c]
Description = DOSBox est un émulateur DOS.

[Section.0415]
Description = DOSBox - emulator DOSa.

[Section.0422]
Description = DOSBox - емулятор DOSу.

Let's analyze it from top to the bottom.

"UTF-8" This is a comment that reminds users/developers, that the file should be saved in UTF-8 format.

"[Section]" This is the beggining of the area that is read when user click on the name of the program that he chooses to download. It consist's of several things:
"Name" - This is the program name that is displayed in the list, and in the lower grey description field.
"Version" This is the version of the program, also displayed in the list and in the lower field.
"Licence" The licence that the program is based on. Typical options are : Trial, Demo, Freeware, Open-Source.
"Description" The description of the program For example : "A program that emualate older hardware to run older games".
"Size" Size of the program. Template: NUMBERUNIT For example "223MB"
"Category" The category of the program. Category name correspond to the number. There are 15 categories for now:
1 - Sound - Software for recording, playing, modify, convert sound
2 - Video - As above but applies to video and movies
3 - Graphics - As above, but graphics and images
4 - Games and Entertainment - There are games, emulators for games
5 - Internet and Networks - Browsers, IM clients, FTP software, Remote desktop...
6 - Office stuff - Software that is used in the Office for example Open Office
7 - Developement / programming - programs used for compiling, and source writing for example Devc++
8 - Education - Programs that help in teaching, learning. For example dictionaries, translators
9 - Engineering - Programs simmilar to CAD, SolidWorks (tm)
10 - Financial - Programs for financial stuff, TRade monitors, database systems for warehouses e.t.c
11 - Science - For programs that makes simulations, helps in the Chemistry, Physics....
12 - Tools - Utilities for users for example archiving software
13 - Drivers - Files for the devices that are installed in the system
14 - Libraries - Files that are needed to run some programs like Visual Basic and .NET
15 - Other - programs that did not fit in above categories

Next are:
"URLSite" Main web site where the program can be found.
"URLDownload" Direct link to the installer/program
"CDPath" <I don't know yet what it is :P but it seems to be relative to CD>
"[Section.0407]" Specific language of the description, based on the host system language settings, when host language is different that languages in the file, English is choosen by default (If You talk Spanish, and there is no such entry avaliable in the file, software description will be displayed in English).

Custom files must be placed in rapps folder created after .CAB file download.
.TXT file names can be anything, but it's best to make them somehow correspond to the software they are relative to.
Custom files need to be saved in UTF-8 format, or some specific languages will be displayed strangely.

EDIT:

"URLDownload" Direct link to the installer/program <- this MUST be the direct link to the file itself, linking to scripted downloads will NOT work.
Last edited by wojo664 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black_Fox

Re: RAPPS - For those that want more from it.

Post by Black_Fox »

Locale IDs (that number in Section.xxxx) can be found here (numbers from the left column).
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Really nice Doc!
Thanks Wojo!
Do you have a Twitter account?To Twitt about it?
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

Since there was no RAPPS page and this was such a great summary of the program, I made it into a wiki page. Let me know if you approve.

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/RAPPS
wojo664

Post by wojo664 »

Approved :-)

I don't have Twitter, I have account on Facebook ;-)
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

I think RAPPS could use some more parameters.

Screenshot URL
Interface (GUI or CMD)
Ability to specify whether link is portable or an installer (and where to download to if portable)
Ability to specify where to extract a zip to

I've also been thinking of a project like this in PHP for a while, and even have some code that makes a nice base. But I am too busy with other projects to think about it now.

In the meantime, I'm making more app lists, and I'll post them tonight.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

The ability to download multiple files for a program would also be useful. For example, some games may require separate downloading of the game engine and game data files.

And the ability to launch a separate "helper" program or script might be useful. That would help automate installing programs that aren't as simple as unzipping or running an EXE - or where workarounds are needed to get it to install under ReactOS.
wojo664

Post by wojo664 »

From my side I want to propose adding additional link that can be connected with compability database.