Using Q (Mac QEMU port) to run ReactOS

Got a ReactOS tutorial to share? Drop it in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sinister

Using Q (Mac QEMU port) to run ReactOS

Post by Sinister »

Seeing no tutorial for emulating this on Q, I'll share my experience using ReactOS 0.3.1 on it.

The setup is not difficult, honestly, most of the setup is just being careful not to render the virtual machine unbootable (I did that several times changing some of the settings like the graphics or trying to pull up taskmgr [does ROS have the taskmgr yet?], both of which crashed the system). Here's what I did, though. Putting this together took 10 minutes, max.

1. Download the most recent version of Q from kju-app.com. The 0.9 beta is available for download for free.

2. Obtain a ReactOS disk image. I used ReactOS-0.3.1.img, but go ahead and experiment with more recent disks too, as they might work.

3. Open Q and drag the image into the window. It will pull up a menu. Name it whatever you like (I named it ReactOS), and make sure you set it as "Live CD".

4. It will then open a settings pane. Go to the hardware tab, and change the settings to boot from hard drive, and change the target hard drive to the image you are using. Remove the image from the CD-ROM target and make it the built-in CD-ROM, if you want to use your drive. If you like, jack up the RAM as much as you can (I set mine to 256 MB which is deathly slow but my machine only has 640 MB RAM as it's an old iMac).

5. If all goes well, you should get some text as it loads up, then the ReactOS boot screen. It may appear to hang, but give it a few minutes and it may bring up a VGA adapter wizard. Close it. You should be on the ReactOS desktop. Congratulations.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

FlyingIsFun1217
Sinister

Post by Sinister »

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=4059676

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=4059656

I have since also been successful with version 0.3.4, so I have a picture of that as well. One thing - do you know how one would install a program (eg Firefox - this version has no internet) externally onto the .iso or .img? I would love to connect to the internet with it.
z180

Re: Using Q (Mac QEMU port) to run ReactOS

Post by z180 »

you ca not start task manager with a key combo.
click on run... in the start menu and type in "taskmgr"
Sinister

Re: Using Q (Mac QEMU port) to run ReactOS

Post by Sinister »

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that next time around.