Start menu categories

Got a ReactOS tutorial to share? Drop it in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

greenie

Start menu categories

Post by greenie »

People may already know this but I think this is awesome.

I was playing with explorer_new and I discovered that it was possible to add folders into the first level of the start menu with the current explorer_new in trunk. I had wanted to do this previously with windows xp explorer, but it did not work. Anyway below is a picture showing what i mean. I kind of wanted to replicate how ubuntu organizes applications.
http://img301.imageshack.us/i/rosenew.jpg/

To create a category you can simply go to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu" or "C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Start Menu".
Then create a new folder and name it to what you want the category to appear as. Open the folder and make shortcuts to the applications you wish to appear in that category.
It will then show up in your start menu.Though with a plain folder icon.

http://img265.imageshack.us/i/foldersetup.jpg/

If you want to change the icon right click on the folder go to properties. Then in the properties window click on the Customize tab and then click change icon button. Select your icon click ok then apply and then you should have an icon for that category.

Sorry if none of this makes sense. I wrote this as fast as a I could.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Start menu categories

Post by vicmarcal »

Nice feature. :)
Now just we need to have it working on trunk :)
greenie

Post by greenie »

It should be working in trunk. I didn't add this feature. Currently I don't have an unmodified version to test it.
Or do you mean in reactOS itself not in xp?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I mean that i want to see explorer-new.exe running on ReactOS.I think the screenshot was taken in Windows, wasnt it?
greenie

Post by greenie »

Yes your right this was run in windows xp. I have not even bothered testing in reactos. Though I have been told it doesn't work.