Moderator: Moderator Team

manuel

Re: Future Start Menu

Post by manuel »

not equal...similar :mrgreen:
The_French_Rat

Post by The_French_Rat »

I'll have to agree with Z98 on that one.
Although, you CAN copyright the ReactOS logo :D
Last edited by The_French_Rat on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.
Alahndro

Post by Alahndro »

Simple: Make it selectable either 2k xp 7, but still compatible to msstyles theming!

What ros can make better then MS is: Choices!
Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

Ok here is my slolution, but rember I am a Native Linux user. I think that ROS should have a menu theme congiguration in the menu witch you can use to change the start menus icons and themes. Then you should have a program like the one in Zorin that lets you chagne the look of the menu from XP, Vista, 7, and maby Windows 8. Then you sould also have a progam that lets you change the desktop environments like KDE, Gnome, Gnome 2, Mate, XFCE, LXDE, Cinnamon, unity, surgar, Enlightenment, and the default REact OS one. NOw I also would recomend you look at the Winbutu menus and the Gnome menu orbs that look similer to the windows circle. I personlay would like cinnamon on Reactos as it looks the molst like XP, Vista, and 7 all at the same time. I would also recomend that ROS clone MDM and port it over so they can use the same themes with out moding them. Can't be to much work as both Linux and ROS are programed in C. I also would like to some day create a disro of ROS, but that would be in 4-10 years of collage. No comments please. Now you also got the active desktop thing wrong as you don't need IE. Many of the computers at schoold have active desktop and none of them run IE. Yes most use Chrome or Firefox, I like Firefox. Also IE should not be wasted it, just port over Swiftfox and use the ROS logo and call it Reactfox or something.Don't forget that Chromium and Iron are both open source versions of Google Chrome. I also think that you should try porting over some Linux drivers I don't know why they used ones from Free BSD when Linux has so many more drivers. Also ROS should bring over Dreamweaver and after it works on ROS they should port it to Linux, BSD, Haiku, and Pure Darwin. I also loved those projects.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I would suggest you take the time to learn more about software development before trying to propose unreasonable tasks. I would also you suggest you try to better understand what the goal of ReactOS is.
Parament Technologies

Post by Parament Technologies »

I think we should keep the WinY2K like Start menu, but give it more of a 'modern' look for those who want it to look more modern than it appears now.

Maybe like Classic Shell:
[ external image ]
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Parament Technologies wrote:I think we should keep the WinY2K like Start menu, but give it more of a 'modern' look for those who want it to look more modern than it appears now.

[ external image ]
We have a more modern look work in progress ;) :P

[ external image ]
Parament Technologies

Post by Parament Technologies »

gonzoMD wrote:
Parament Technologies wrote:I think we should keep the WinY2K like Start menu, but give it more of a 'modern' look for those who want it to look more modern than it appears now.

[ external image ]
We have a more modern look work in progress ;) :P

[ external image ]
Well then, you've already have it underway!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Win2K start button and basic themeing. The alternatives and the rest done by themes.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

what I forgot: there will be the possibility to change between the classic and the modern start menu somewhere in the future.

To achieve this the class CPersonalStartMenu (and the option itself etc.) has to be implemented, see CORE-7850
florian

Post by florian »

Due to old machines...

- the default Start Menue should be the one which is consuming less RAM & Mhz-Power
- and eye candy GUI stuff should be disabled as standard, too.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Correct - or even for newer machines in order to conserve precious 32 bit resources.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
swethacharan

Post by swethacharan »

I'm waiting to see the future start menu from react os, when it will get published?
Mominul

Post by Mominul »

I like the Win7 startbar. Win8 startbar(start page) only fits on touch devices.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

SomeGuy wrote: Of course, even if they did it wouldn't help much. Many Windows programs even today still do things the WINDOW 3.1 way! Under Windows 95/NT 4 and later your application should just have one icon located in the root of the programs menu. Instead applications typically create their own program group with their program icon, a readme, an uninstaller (which has belonged in add/remove since 95), and other miscellaneous utility icons that should be launched from within the program.

So the only way you are going to get these kind of grouping categories under ReactOS is to change all of the Windows software in the world :D
maybe its my computer winxp pro but Add or Remove Programs takes to long to populate the list and if you are only uninstalling one program then going to Add or Remove Programs is a bit over kill
Linuxgamer94 wrote:would also recomend that ROS clone MDM and port it over so they can use the same themes with out moding them. Can't be to much work as both Linux and ROS are programed in C.
Linuxgamer94 wrote:I also think that you should try porting over some Linux drivers I don't know why they used ones from Free BSD when Linux has so many more drivers.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4763
Z98 wrote:The last time the developers attempted to port something from Linux, it took something like three years. That was for the USB stack. The kernel interfaces are completely different and often it's better to just write the thing from scratch, possibly using the Linux driver as a reference.
viewtopic.php?p=77008
Z98 wrote:When it comes to drivers, a "port" is effectively a rewrite. The Linux devs reversing Windows USB drivers was to figure out the protocol such devices were using I believe, not so they could use any code in the drivers. And note that the need to reverse it by definition means there's not going to be much, if any, code sharing going on, since they did not have the source code to begin with. It would generally be easier to just look at a piece of hardware's specifications and write a driver from scratch. The only useful information a Linux driver could provide is if there's something missing in the spec that the Linux devs have discovered and they incorporated a workaround. But that workaround would still have to be rewritten against the Windows driver API. It is, conventionally, very difficult to port an already existing driver to another OS architecture. The only way to "share" significant amounts of code is to isolate all of the code that works on the device and the code that handles I/O through the OS from each other. But this must be done at the start of development. Trying to do it afterward is again, a rewrite.
Linuxgamer94 wrote:Also ROS should bring over Dreamweaver and after it works on ROS they should port it to Linux, BSD, Haiku, and Pure Darwin. I also loved those projects.
:? :?
do you have the source code for Dreamweaver ? will Dreamweaver run on wine ? if you can get Dreamweaver runing in wine the you can install wine on them os and then install Dreamweaver http://wiki.winehq.org/Haiku http://www.freebsd.org/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwine

imho for the start menu to use let the user choose at install time but give the option to change