Purple's Wallpapers

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Black_Fox

Re: Purple's Wallpapers

Post by Black_Fox »

I suspected that the second one is also default texture, but it's quite nice and just not that horrible default default one, so I'm very much okay with that.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Black_Fox wrote:I suspected that the second one is also default texture, but it's quite nice and just not that horrible default default one, so I'm very much okay with that.

The first two are. They use 2 of the defaults but are layered, and I shifted the colors. I wasn't going to use theirs unmodified. Even in the last ones listed, I tried muting them with other layers to look not as default. I imagine if they were scaled down and resampled, it could make a nice background to use with other elements. Of course, I might as well make my own samples from scratch, like sink suds.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

I'll just say i don't approve them. That shouldn't discourage you to keep trying, but i'll warn you that using "default" tiling textures is an eyesore for those who recognize them. It cheapens the whole thing and reduces the positive effects of any technique you might have learned so far. If you do an image search for "default photoshop pattern" its the first thing that comes up. Can't help but think about default win3.1 wallpapers whenever i see a tiling pattern...
Well Pesho, the concept of Open Source is about freedom. Have you thought to consider that maybe some of the "design choices" could be wrong? Anyone can modify the UI to make their papers and themes fit. If you don't like what I offer fine. Nobody is forcing you to use it or even look at it. While we are like Windows, we are not Microsoft. I just put stuff stuff out there, and if nobody likes it, they don't have to use it.
That's fine, i was under the impression that these were supposed to be *the* official wallpapers. It's good to have more material out there to choose from when the time comes for it to be used, though i hope it doesn't just get forgotten in the pile.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

These are not official. The only ones remotely close to official are ones that have been included in releases.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Pesho wrote:I'll just say i don't approve them. That shouldn't discourage you to keep trying, but i'll warn you that using "default" tiling textures is an eyesore for those who recognize them. It cheapens the whole thing and reduces the positive effects of any technique you might have learned so far. If you do an image search for "default photoshop pattern" its the first thing that comes up. Can't help but think about default win3.1 wallpapers whenever i see a tiling pattern...
That's fine, i was under the impression that these were supposed to be *the* official wallpapers. It's good to have more material out there to choose from when the time comes for it to be used, though i hope it doesn't just get forgotten in the pile.
Thank you for your clarification. I appreciate that. A pattern I see too much around here is people just getting started other than to have others dump cold water on them or do something that comes across as punishment. I see now you didn't intend things that way, and that is fair enough for me.

I agree that tiling default images can be a problem, unless they are particularly hi-res or only part of the image. That is why I played with the colors and layering stuff under or over them. I also agree that for a lot of people, not all, the concept of tiling itself is too amateurish, and they have the right to feel that way, obviously. There is quite a difference between giving honest appraisal and trying to impose one's own preferences or values. Nonetheless, I get your point. It is usually better to give things to try instead of direct criticism. But, in a way, I guess you did that when you gave a link to something else. That design did nothing for me other than inspire vulgar thoughts. However, other designs by the same artist impressed me.

As for official, I must agree with you. Presenting a unified product appearance does seem more professional, and we do wish for businesses to consider what we have to offer. Things shouldn't be so stuffy as to turn off people not in business or who are only playing the corporate game because they are forced, but we shouldn't come across as an amateurish operating system because our default graphics, wallpapers, and themes look like they were done by 8-year olds. Sadly, the corporate word judges more by reputation and appearance than by principles, facts, or performance. So, even if we could get ReactOS to perform at 10 times the speed of Windows (which is technically impossible AFAIK) and it is free for them to use, they won't use it if it looks like junk or makes them look like a joke in front of clients.