A better model for designer and developer roles

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

bntser

A better model for designer and developer roles

Post by bntser »

Now with ReactOS's quality getting a lot better, is it time to create a strong brand to match it. We need to be ready so future users perceive the project as modern and professional, so I am suggesting that a team be made for this purpose. It would not have to interfere with development, but would be totally separate. I think that the branding team should be in charge of everything that the end-user will encounter with the exception of the OS itself. For example, the branding team would take care of the website style, content, promotional material, graphics, logo, product name, etc. Then the developers can fully focus on coding, while being backed by a team that makes sure everything is ready for the public. Of course, that wouldn't mean the developers have no say in these things, but they wouldn't have to worry about them if they didn't want to. All they would do is code, and give information to the design team to publish.

I hope this is considered, because without strong branding I have doubts that the project will be able to appeal to normal people. So what do you think? Does this plan sound good? I think it would solve the current problem where developers can't maintain the brand.
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: A better model for designer and developer roles

Post by Z98 »

Sounds good. Who here (besides you, cause you've demonstrated considerably more followthrough than basically everyone else) is willing to take assignments and actually finish them?
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

I volunteer, as I've previously worked on the Lautus visual style and finished it.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Do you have an online portfolio somewhere?
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

No, but I think I should make one some day.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I'd like to see some examples to see what your style is, which would help me determine what task from my wishlist I could try giving you. My ROS email is ziliang.guo at reactos.org so if you could send some samples, excluding the theme since that I've already seen and would like to see other stuff, that'd be great.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Sounds good. Who here (besides you, cause you've demonstrated considerably more followthrough than basically everyone else) is willing to take assignments and actually finish them?
Is this also about the website? Because otherwise, what about DangerGround?

If it's branding in general, I'm willing to take on the selling and promoting of ReactOs CD's, as said. As mentioned in my other post, I'm willing to take any incurred losses (which probably will be there, with alpha and beta releases) on my own account, so Ros doesn't have to invest anything, nor risks anything.

I too, think bntser demonstrated actual involvement much more then most, at least in the graphical department. His work is also of good quality, imho.

Speaking of which; have you made any progress in making a graph layout for printing on a CD, bntser?
Not that I want to pressure you, but I would like to start with the project the moment I've got expressed interest from 15 people, and we're now at 13, with still more than a week to go, so I think chances are high I'll proceed with it.
bntser

Post by bntser »

Webunny wrote: Speaking of which; have you made any progress in making a graph layout for printing on a CD, bntser?
Not that I want to pressure you, but I would like to start with the project the moment I've got expressed interest from 15 people, and we're now at 13, with still more than a week to go, so I think chances are high I'll proceed with it.
It has been a busy week, but I will finish it asap.