Can there be a better GUI?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

jeffw

Can there be a better GUI?

Post by jeffw »

I'm sorry, but right now ReactOS looks like Windows XP without Luna, which isn't very pretty. I was wondering if there could be an alternative, free GUI that ISN'T Luna, Aero, or Metro?

If ReactOS wants to pull into the mainstream market as a replacement for Windows 8 (which is obviously needed), then ReactOS needs something prettier. Just saying.
Jeff
Programmer
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Can there be a better GUI?

Post by EmuandCo »

Like what? We are open for windows compatible suggestions
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

ReactOS is themeable if that is what you are looking for:

[ external image ]

Although that doesn't change the way the GUI functions.

See these tutorials:

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9983

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9646
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

You can tweak Windows too to look like ReactOS... If you knew that...

Its called "Classic style"
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i don't know about you but i like the windows 95, 98 style :) and xp but anything newer then that just gets in the way.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

jeffw wrote:I'm sorry, but right now ReactOS looks like Windows XP without Luna, which isn't very pretty. I was wondering if there could be an alternative, free GUI that ISN'T Luna, Aero, or Metro?
Lautus - http://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82262#p82262 (preview image here http://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82235#p82235)

Dave3434 wrote:i don't know about you but i like the windows 95, 98 style :) and xp but anything newer then that just gets in the way.
I like <list of Windows that I have used> but not anything newer than that? Come on :-)
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

that's my choice windows aero just gets in my way. besides am a nostalgic nut LOL
Black_Fox
[quoteI like <list of Windows that I have used> but not anything newer than that? Come on ][/quote]
jeffw

Post by jeffw »

My proposal is to have ReactOS come bundled with some built in themes. If possible, Luna or even Aero. Besides, Windows 8 is coming out soon and people are MAD at Microsoft.
Jeff
Programmer
jeffw

Post by jeffw »

Like this: (See image by clicking here)
(Image is copyright me.)
Jeff
Programmer
jeffw

Post by jeffw »

Besides, when disgruntled MS Windows users search the web for alternatives, Linux may show up (but they may reject it), and ReactOS may show up as well. If the GUI remains this way, I tell you, there will only be a certain percentage of users who will even THINK about using it, because of the GUI. I'd prefer Fedora or Ubuntu, TBH. :|
Jeff
Programmer
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

jeffw wrote:Like this: (See image by clicking here)
(Image is copyright me.)
Tbh, I dislike this look
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
andreas84

Post by andreas84 »

just make it looking like xp out of the box and some easy accessable themes! Maybe some tutorial for computer noobs (eldery as example) who really cannot understand it without 4 hours tutorial.
After this it would be competition to windows in some areas imho

But thats secondary. The best gui is useless as long ros is declared as alpha:
You will not get normal user at all.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Also, Jeff, if you mean open-source GUI as a complete shell and not only a "reskin", in which case Lautus is not enough even though open-source, there is bbLean (site with links to similar projects).
milon

Post by milon »

jeffw wrote:Besides, when disgruntled MS Windows users search the web for alternatives, Linux may show up (but they may reject it), and ReactOS may show up as well. If the GUI remains this way, I tell you, there will only be a certain percentage of users who will even THINK about using it, because of the GUI. I'd prefer Fedora or Ubuntu, TBH. :|
Why on Earth would you think ReactOS is going to stay the way it is? I seriously hope you're not thinking that an alpha version OS is the final version.

Also, what's stopping you from contributing to the GUI development? This is an opensource project, ya know.
jeffw

Post by jeffw »

Tbh, I dislike this look
That's probably just ONE of the looks.
Jeff
Programmer