Faenza, Faience and Elementry Icons

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

timmay2019

Faenza, Faience and Elementry Icons

Post by timmay2019 »

Hi Everyone

Since this is about icons I thought I'll put this topic into the design section.

I've been looking around on the internet for GPL icons (apparently CC based icons are no good to us) and have come across Faenza's icon pack. It was designed for Gnome but the source code contains SVG files and someone has already converted them to windows format. And to top it off the icon pack is big. I've provided the links below:
Gnome: http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faenza ... 744h&qo=24
Windows: http://evanpurkhiser.deviantart.com/art ... -340623655
Windows Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg3w8m1t2tj7y ... indows.zip
Source: http://code.google.com/p/faenza-icon-theme/

Also here is Faience's icon set http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faienc ... -255099649
Faience's icon set is quite similar to Faenza's set so it may help if there is some icons that are needed.

There is also the Elementary Icon pack that is also under the GPL. Here are its links:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/elementar ... -215459969
https://launchpad.net/elementaryicons

An icon set may have already been chosen but I'm just throwing out some ideas that may benefit ReactOS.

I would like to hear everyone's opinion on these.

Thanks

EDIT: Also the guy who did the windows icons has a script to convert Faenza's source icons to a windows ICO format. https://gist.github.com/EvanPurkhiser/4181758
Last edited by timmay2019 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonzoMD

Re: Faenza, Faience and Elementry Icons

Post by gonzoMD »

The first two are great because they have a consistently look and they don't look as antiquated as Tango.

The Problem is the following: ReactOS has more than 100 Icons and it wants a consistent use of them, not 5 from here and 8 from there and so on.
There are Icons for Folders, common apps a shell etc. but there are too many Icons needed for ReactOS missing.
The only OpenSource Icon Pack that really has an Icon for almost everything is Tango (which is ugly and antiquated) :(

ReactOS needs such great artists to create an own modern Style because the first look is the signboard of an OS.
(OT: This is also the reason why I think that the actual Roadmap fo 0.4.0 should be fulfilled even if some devs doesn't think so)

EDIT: I found this: https://launchpad.net/candyproject it seems to be more complete than the other ones
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Faenza contains about 1000 icons, is GPL'd and is quite popular also in the Linux world. I would surely agree with any movement making it possible in ReactOS to switch the icon set to Faenza. Are there any icons missing that ROS would need?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Black_Fox wrote:Faenza contains about 1000 icons, is GPL'd and is quite popular also in the Linux world. I would surely agree with any movement making it possible in ReactOS to switch the icon set to Faenza. Are there any icons missing that ROS would need?
sorry I just took reference to the picture on the deviantart page.
I just downloaded and... IT'S AMAZING!

I will try to replace all icons for myself and maybe offer a patch
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

gonzoMD wrote:I will try to replace all icons for myself and maybe offer a patch
Does the author of the Windows version offer some kind of patcher? I'm not sure there'd be enough support for having Faenza as a default icon set, with a patcher available in RAPPS however... One click to download, one double-click to patch the default ReactOS icons and voilà :)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You cant patch system files on the fly yet. It will kill ROS for sure
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
timmay2019

Post by timmay2019 »

Yea there are installers but they are built for Windows 7/8. The installers replace the dll's and stuff up ROS, I've tried. Unless someone can find one that will work for XP then it may work for ROS.

Glad to see there is some interest in these icons. I just find the Tango icons ugly and ROS needs to look like a million dollars :).
manuel

Post by manuel »

nice icons :ugeek:
timmay2019

Post by timmay2019 »

gonzoMD wrote:
Black_Fox wrote:Faenza contains about 1000 icons, is GPL'd and is quite popular also in the Linux world. I would surely agree with any movement making it possible in ReactOS to switch the icon set to Faenza. Are there any icons missing that ROS would need?

Hey gonzoMD, how are you going with the icon replacement? I would love to see how the icons look in ROS (just a screenshot will do) :)
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

why not use lycoris desktop/lx icon set?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

timmay2019 wrote:
gonzoMD wrote:

Hey gonzoMD, how are you going with the icon replacement? I would love to see how the icons look in ROS (just a screenshot will do) :)
Well I changed some Icons in shell32 to faenza-win ones and everything builds fine but when coming to 2nd Stage Setup at the point where the "Loading Drivers" Window should come, nothing happens.
ROS Doesn't crash or BSOD it just stays on the empty Desktop.

I don't think that this is worth to make a Jira issue but I have the last few Debug Lines here:

Code: Select all

(../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/proc.c:633) Image Name: C:\ReactOS\system32\spoolsv.exe Dll Path: C:\ReactOS\system32;.;C:\ReactOS\System32;C:\ReactOS\system;C:\ReactOS;.;C:\ReactOS\bin;C:\ReactOS\system32;C:\ReactOS;C:\ReactOS\system32\wbem current directory: (null), CmdLine: C:\ReactOS\system32\spoolsv.exe, Title: C:\ReactOS\system32\spoolsv.exe, Desktop: , Shell: , Runtime: (null)
(../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/proc.c:2465) CreateProcessInternalW: (null) C:\ReactOS\system32\thmsvc.exe c
(../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/path.c:404) Computing EXE path: C:\ReactOS\system32\thmsvc.exe
(../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/proc.c:2707) Search Path: C:\ReactOS\system32;.;.;C:\ReactOS\System32;C:\ReactOS\system;C:\ReactOS;C:\ReactOS\bin;C:\ReactOS\system32;C:\ReactOS;C:\ReactOS\system32\wbem
DHCPCSVC: DHCP service is starting up
(../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/proc.c:2741) Length: 1f Buffer: C:\ReactOS\system32\thmsvc.exe
(../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/proc.c:2888) Path: \??\C:\ReactOS\system32\thmsvc.exe. Dir: 0
(../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/proc.c:2953) Section status: 0
WARNING:  BaseCheckAppcompatCache at ../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/appcache.c:136 is UNIMPLEMENTED!
WARNING:  BasepCheckWinSaferRestrictions at ../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/utils.c:916 is UNIMPLEMENTED!
(../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/proc.c:4009) Image should receive SxS Fusion Isolation
(../../dll/win32/kernel32/client/proc.c:633) Image Name: C:\ReactOS\system32\thmsvc.exe Dll Path: C:\ReactOS\system32;.;C:\ReactOS\System32;C:\ReactOS\system;C:\ReactOS;.;C:\ReactOS\bin;C:\ReactOS\system32;C:\ReactOS;C:\ReactOS\system32\wbem current directory: (null), CmdLine: C:\ReactOS\system32\thmsvc.exe, Title: C:\ReactOS\system32\thmsvc.exe, Desktop: , Shell: , Runtime: (null)
(../../win32ss/user/ntuser/hook.c:158) err: UserRegisterUserApiHook. Server PID: 364
(../../win32ss/user/ntuser/main.c:441) err: UserDeleteW32Thread pti 0xB02DCE18
(../../win32ss/user/ntuser/msgqueue.c:2146) err: Free message queue 0xB02F6DD0
Maybe someone here can read something about the problem out of those lines.

EDIT: I will try again on a clean checkout without any other modyfications (as this build was the start of a Distribution which contained many other changes).

Build will take about 1 to 2 hours on my old crappy X2, just wait...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

I took other Icons, specialized for WinXP and Tada:

[ external image ]

Work in Progress...
timmay2019

Post by timmay2019 »

Wow that looks soo much better already :).
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

gonzoMD wrote:I took other Icons, specialized for WinXP and Tada:
Faenza rocks!
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Yeah, I used this Faenza Iconset for my "WooS distro" under Arwinss.
I think Faenza is pretty nice, but a little bit "square-ish". I think it works really nice for a Distro, but a neutral iconset is needed for the "pure" ReactOS. Anyway, that patch will be handy :). I have my roadmap on the table, and that patch could help me a lot.
Keep me updated!