What could be...

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

gordon451

What could be...

Post by gordon451 »

Hi - I'm a "Senior Citizen" (read Baby Boomer) in West Oz. I like computers, starting with my beloved C64. Anyway, having suffered through the W9x -- DOS wasn't too bad -- and finally found Microsoft's only worthwhile offering in W2K Pro SP4 rollup 1, they went and removed support!!!!!! :evil: So here I am on the last configurable GUI they will ever produce, W7 HP x64, and it's likely the last Microsoft OS I will ever purchase (or steal :roll: ).

I'm looking forward to ReactOS, because I have several very fixed preferences. For example, I am biologically attached to the Classic Desktop, which ceased to be a factory option in W8. I also have a significant collection of legacy apps like Lotus Smartsuite, and PaintShop Pro. I keep these because they simply work.

I've had a good look around this forum, and I do understand the division of opinion about (Linux-like) "distros". (Personally, having sussed out Debian with KDE, the problem with Linux is not the number of distros, but the number of productivity apps. Linux is a geek heaven, but totally unaware of commercial office requirements. Oh, I chose the KDE desktop deliberately as it seemed to offer the best office software. I was underwhelmed by Gnome.)

So, here am I, wondering if a mature ReactOS in, say, 5 to 7 years, could possibly be presented as a fundamental Kernel (as in Linux) with the ability to purchase 3rd-party apps (eg: Classic Shell from Ivosoft) to give me a GUI & etc, while allowing me to install off-the-shelf software to give me the functionality the Microsoft pretends to pre-load, like Paint, Notepad, Write, & etc, all of which are far better handled by professionals.

What's the thinking in the ReactOS community?

Gordon.
milon

Re: What could be...

Post by milon »

Hi Gordon! Welcome to the forums.

If you don't know about it, do a Google search for "win2k sp5" (no quotes). You may like what you find. :)
gordon451 wrote:So, here am I, wondering if a mature ReactOS in, say, 5 to 7 years, could possibly be presented as a fundamental Kernel (as in Linux) with the ability to purchase 3rd-party apps (eg: Classic Shell from Ivosoft) to give me a GUI & etc, while allowing me to install off-the-shelf software to give me the functionality the Microsoft pretends to pre-load, like Paint, Notepad, Write, & etc, all of which are far better handled by professionals.
Actually, ROS already has Paint, Notepad, and Write already in it. There's no MS code - it's either ours or from the WINE project. You've got the overall idea correct. ROS is an open source implementation of the NT architecture that has the goal of natively running MS applications & drivers. It will have a classic desktop and so forth, but you can always install your own preferred software too.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

milon wrote:Hi Gordon! Welcome to the forums.
If you don't know about it, do a Google search for "win2k sp5" (no quotes). You may like what you find. :)
Looks like it was indeed the Update Rollup 1 (that came after the SP4)...
milon

Post by milon »

hbelusca wrote:
I was actually referring to the Win2k Unofficial Service Pack 5. You have to google it without the quotes.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

milon wrote:
hbelusca wrote:
I was actually referring to the Win2k Unofficial Service Pack 5. You have to google it without the quotes.
Yes yes, that's what I did, but it appears that this "unofficial" thing is an other name for the Update Rollup 1, plus the other patches that were available via Windows Update at that time.
gordon451

Post by gordon451 »

:lol: Ah yes, SP5 :P What can we say? Remind me to tell youse the story of the "Holden That Never Was" one day 8-)

@milon:
It will have a classic desktop and so forth...
I expected ROS would have applets like Windows, and the really good news is that like in Windows, I can simply delete what I don't need -- or perhaps uninstall :) But I was thinking much more along the lines of "Windows Lite", where one uninstalls IE and replaces it with the browser of choice. Of course, in most markets, uninstalling IE also removes Windows Explorer and a few other fairly important parts of the Windows ExpERIENCE :cry:

Most people obviously want a limo with upholstery on the seats, in-car-entertainment, air... Hell, if I wanted to build a car, I'd get a job in an auto factory, right? And these people have a right to expect out-of-the-box performance. I know I would.

But I actually like tinkering with computers, and I do like the Linux model, if not the implementation. So a bare-bones kernel with basic I/O, a CLI and some hooks, plus a little browser so it can inspect my hardware and go find the appropriate drivers as I install it, then ask the big question: "Would you like upholstered furniture and some air conditioning, or do you want to DIY?"

As I understand it (and I could be wrong), that was what the RPM packages basically did. I like to think of this a "Custom Build" option :D

Would this sort of thinking ruffle any feathers?

Gordon.
milon

Post by milon »

Not to my knowledge. Personally, I almost take for granted that there will be forks of any open source project. I'm sure ROS will be no different. You may have to find your own hosting, however, unless the ROS project takes a liking to the "lite" build. You can always grab the source and compile & edit all you want. The only way I can see feathers being ruffled is if someone presents a fork as an official release from the ROS foundation. Apart from that, you should be fine.