the_dj21 wallpaper

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_dj21

the_dj21 wallpaper

Post by the_dj21 »

Check the JIRA for the wallpaper
Last edited by the_dj21 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eersoy93

Re: the_dj21 wallpaper

Post by eersoy93 »

Sorry, in my opinon, the wallpaper's aren't relevant to ReactOS.
milon

Post by milon »

In my opinion, they are relevant. The default wallpaper is literally going to be the "face" of ReactOS, as far as the public is concerned. Remember the default wallpaper for Windows XP? It's iconic because it was the default and the general public does not change any settings unless they must.

I really like the style you've chosen, the_dj21. I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme (I don't really like browns), but that's me. I especially like the first one since the non-parallel band is more prominent.

EDIT - Eersoy, did you mean that wallpapers in general aren't relevant to ReactOS, or did you mean that these two specifically are not relevant? I may have misunderstood you.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

eersoy93 wrote:Sorry, in my opinon, the wallpaper's aren't relevant to ReactOS.
Well, depends on what you mean with 'relevant'. In regard to functionality; obviously not.

That said, if people try to help and actually come up with something, there is no reason to dis it outright. And, as milon pointed out, there is some importance to it, even if only from a visual/recognisable standpoint.

Personally, I like the second better, because the transitions are more smooth. I do agree with milon though that I don't care much for the yellows, browns and reds, especially not for Reactos, which colorship is more blue-ish and metal-grey-ish. I think the same overall theme/impression is pretty good on that one, but with cooler tints (blue(s), green(s), grey(s)). That would suit Reactos more, I think.
the_dj21

Post by the_dj21 »

Hello,
Thanks for your feedback !
I have created new wallpapers with the help of yours feedbacks !

Thanks,
The_Dj21
Last edited by the_dj21 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milon

Post by milon »

I really like the color scheme of the first two. I liked the non-parallel bar you had in the original set, so these look "boring" in comparison. Also, the transition edge is very sharp between color bands now. I liked the smoother transitions better.

Remember - opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them. ;)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

milon wrote:I really like the color scheme of the first two. I liked the non-parallel bar you had in the original set, so these look "boring" in comparison. Also, the transition edge is very sharp between color bands now. I liked the smoother transitions better.

Remember - opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them. ;)
A one-armed person might disagree! ;-)

It's true opinions differ to some degree, but all in all, if something is really good, the more people will agree with the statement it's good. Strictly speaking, it can be measured in a statistical way (which is not the case here, obviously, since we're only with 2-3 commenting on it) and a strong indication of this is shown by the mere fact that reviews of films, games, etc. exist and deemed to have value. Mind you; this does not mean it's an indicator on the individual level: even if 90% loves something, you may not care for it. It could simply be, that one's taste isn't mainstream, for instance. But in an objective way, one could argue that if a vast majority find something pretty/useful/good, it can be considered to BE pretty/useful/good.

At least, that's the positive view.

The negative is, that one considers the opinion of the hoi palloi mostly drivel and unsubstantiated, and incapable of any discerning qualities, or very influence-able by indoctrination (including adds) and the culture of 'popularity' - regardless of the intrinsic value of the product.

One could disregard this as an elitist stance, but to be honest, I think there is some truth in it as well. There is little doubt that what is popular, isn't therefore 'good', unless one equals both terms (as is done in my first paragraph).

Anyway, I'm diverting. ;-)

I also think the colour-scheme is much better now, in general, but I do think the first part is a bit too...bland. Or too equal. Too much the same. Or how should I put it?

If you look at the very first examples, notably the second, one can see the first area/band/bar - while equally big/large, already has some colour-shift. I liked that. Maybe if you could manage the same with blue(s), green(s) and grey(s)?... Now the first bar is a bit too...equalised/of the same colour - which Milon calls 'boring', I suspect.
milon

Post by milon »

Webunny wrote:
milon wrote:Remember - opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them. ;)
A one-armed person might disagree! ;-)
Witty retort: :P
Webunny wrote:If you look at the very first examples, notably the second, one can see the first area/band/bar - while equally big/large, already has some colour-shift. I liked that. Maybe if you could manage the same with blue(s), green(s) and grey(s)?... Now the first bar is a bit too...equalised/of the same colour - which Milon calls 'boring', I suspect.
Yes, that's what I meant by 'boring'.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

it's o.k can you make a modifed bliss wallpaper?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

At first, thank you for your work.
If you want to create some Wallpapers containing the ReactOS Logo too, you could take a look here: https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7478 .
There is a rar file with Logos which can be used.

Maybe you can install ReactOS and enable the Lautus Visual Style which maybe become the default in the future.
You can find it in the Application manager and you have to extract it to C:\ReactOS .
Don't forget to enable the Theming Service before (Service manager).

Then you could maybe create a wallpaper matching this style, maybe one that looks like bliss but with other colors (blackish) and more geeky instead of a grass landscape like Dave3434 already stated before.

Also we will need different resolutions.

The wallpapers are nice and the color transitions look very clean, keep up the good work ;)
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

gonzoMD wrote:[...]
If you want to create some Wallpapers containing the ReactOS Logo too, you could take a look here: https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7478 .
There is a rar file with Logos which can be used.
[...]
Some of the logos are also there: http://svn.reactos.org/svn/press-media/trunk/art/