Redesigning Start Menu and other sorts...

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Parament Technologies

Redesigning Start Menu and other sorts...

Post by Parament Technologies »

Aloha,

I am working on a ReactOS-based OS. This will mimic Windows Server 2003 with the Classic look applied and the Start menu put in Classic mode. I have some questions pertaining to changing the design of the OS. Please note that I am planning to bundle this together.

1. How do I change the text on the side of the Start menu so it can say something else other than "ReactOS"?
2. How do I change the icons on the desktop and in the ReactOS explorer so it looks similar to Windows XP?
3. How do I change the name of "ReactOS Explorer"?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Parament Technologies
Konata

Re: Redesigning Start Menu and other sorts...

Post by Konata »

Uh, pretty sure all that would be in explorer.exe (in the source tree, ReactOS-0.3.16 -> reactos -> base -> shell -> explorer), but I don't know for sure because I actually didn't thoroughly look through the code yet. Why don't you have a look?

By the way, you should consider helping out ReactOS instead of, er, what I can only assume is recoloring it and using it as your own product.
Parament Technologies

Konata wrote:Uh, pretty sure all that would be in explorer.exe (in the source tree, ReactOS-0.3.16 -> reactos -> base -> shell -> explorer), but I don't know for sure because I actually didn't thoroughly look through the code yet. Why don't you have a look?

By the way, you should consider helping out ReactOS instead of, er, what I can only assume is recoloring it and using it as your own product.
I have tried, but I don't know which os which.

I also plan to add more features in the OS based off of ReactOS and not just have a new design. I actually plan to include more software and features in it.
Konata

Post by Konata »

[ external image ]

c'mon man you didn't even try looking.

So what kind of software were you going to have support ReactOS?
Parament Technologies

Konata wrote:[ external image ]

c'mon man you didn't even try looking.

So what kind of software were you going to have support ReactOS?
I plan to include and office suite (perhaps LibreOffice), some programs that I made, ShiftOS by Phillip Adams, Histacom (originally by Phillip Adams), an open-source antivirus and parental control program, and many others.

Also, I did look and found them. I was about to edit my response when my computer froze on me, so I apologize for the first response.

Thank you.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

I'm not sure if he wants to make a 'bundled' version (which one can already compile), or if he's really going for a fork. On itself, there is nothing wrong with a fork (linux has dozens), but seen the early stages ROS is still in, it rather seems like a waste and fragmentation of already meagre resources.

Sure, its nice to have your own logo on there, mayhaps, but the functionality of ROS of yet isn't really inducing any worthwhile fork, unless you're going to develop and code and implement things differently than in the goal(s) of the current devs. But just bundling it with some extra stuff and using it under another name ain't really all that conductive for bettering the code and making it work better on RH, for instance.

That said, if you want to go through with it, and implement a 'classic' menu or theme with dito icons, we might (re)use it too, provided it's open source material. I think. Possibly.

;-)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Beware. The logo is inside explorer. But not that long anymore. The shell is under heavy rewrite right now and the result will be a fully Windows compatible shell and explorer. Then you should find it inside shell32.dll
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

The question posted by the author has been answered.
Topic closed as answered.