[deleted]

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

dsp8195

[deleted]

Post by dsp8195 »

[deleted]
Last edited by dsp8195 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Why Windows 7 will never be my cup of tea (design-wise)

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Nice thread - understand your reasoning.

This is my desktop and why I will never be bothered to use WIN7's desktop:

[ external image ]
(900 pixels wide image)

I created all the widgets and they all function.
http://lightquick.co.uk/steampunk-widge ... Itemid=264

They require the Konfabulator widget engine and I would dearly like it to function on ReactOS. It is a javascript widget engine that takes pretty much pure javascript as well as a few built-in functions to access the o/s file features. I personally hate the '90s UI paradigm that we are still using to this day. We are all forced to use the same crappy UI. The UI should be independent of the o/s or at the very least highly customisable.

I do hope that ReactOS opens up the themeing mechanism that Microsluts (sic) closed up in Widnows.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
milon

Post by milon »

@dsp8195, you don't actually do anything internet-related on that computer, do you? And you definitely don't do anything financial on it either, right?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Milon - explain yourself - too cryptic to be helpful. What is it filezilla? the torrent stuff?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
milon

Post by milon »

Sorry - I am referring to it being WinXP. I just assumed everyone knew what a security risk that is now.

EDIT - It would be illegal at my work for us to use WinXP. We deal with HIPAA protected information, and HIPAA mandates that any operating system used must be able to have security updates. (Which actually makes ROS a very attractive solution down the road...)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

XP is not a risk in itself and so your warning is not really warranted. As long as all good security procedures are carried out, the system is pretty damn secure.
It is merely an operating system and needs to be treated as such. Browser needs to be up to date and secure, firewalls, A/V tools &c.

Remember - All o/s are insecure unless you are very careful and know what you are doing. People enter financial data and passwords unencrypted on tablets and many other devices all the time. A well secured XP system is still as secure as many of them. http://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart. ... -449963299

As long as you have a good firewall and a/v tools, the best thing to do on XP is to simply stop using Microsoft's Outlook and IE in any form. They seem to be the greatest vectors for malware.

As far as the OP is concerned. His biggest vulnerabilty is probably filezilla, if I were him I would remove it immediately, filezilla has stored passwords in plain text for years. It has no place on any windows system in my opinion, a trojan at worst. The Torrent software on his toolbars/menus indicates (possibly implies?) downloads of illegally obtained software, often cracked or hacked. All sources of potential trojans/malware. The worst entry point for a virus or malware is the computer's user, not the o/s.

Check whether you personally are supported or out of warranty, if so replace user.
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

[deleted]
Last edited by dsp8195 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I'm not wrong at all - I said it 'implies'.

Filezilla is still a vulnerability whether you 'like' the vulnerability or not.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

dizt3mp3r wrote:I'm not wrong at all - I said it 'implies'.
Well, you actually said even stronger "indicates":
dizt3mp3r wrote:indicates (possibly implies?)
Of course there is no obvious weakness on your screenshot, because the icons are far too small to recognize anything except VirtualBox. It would be interesting to play with that desktop nevertheless.