Fatcow in Reactos?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

manuel

Fatcow in Reactos?

Post by manuel »

Hi, i see this entry in the Jira Log:

Hermes Belusca-Maito committed changeset 63679 to the ReactOS Main Repository project
[WINLOGON] Add a suitable icon, from the "Farm-Fresh Icon Set" pack of "FatCow Web Hosting" (http://www.fatcow.com/), under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. See the COPYING file for more details.
+3 -5 trunk/reactos/base/system/winlogon/winlogon.rc
+12 -0 trunk/reactos/base/system/winlogon/res/COPYING
Yesterday at 15:26
Question: ReactOS will now have the icons from fatcow instead of tango?
gonzoMD

Re: Fatcow in Reactos?

Post by gonzoMD »

no, we are still debating if we drop tango, and if yes, which iconset we will use.
Hermes just looked for a suitable icon and found this one.
manuel

Post by manuel »

ok, thanks for your repply
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We had a longer discussion yesterday regarding those icons. They won't help us much. There are just 16x16 and 32x32 symbols. There are mentioned vector based sources, but according to the fat cow support they are not available.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:We had a longer discussion yesterday regarding those icons. They won't help us much. There are just 16x16 and 32x32 symbols. There are mentioned vector based sources, but according to the fat cow support they are not available.
Didn't windows XP just have 16x16 and 32x32 icons too? I'm not seeing the issue.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

It has support for 24x24 and more, icons.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

hbelusca wrote:It has support for 24x24 and more, icons.
If you have 32x32, you can get 24x24 too, me thinks.
justincase

Post by justincase »

According to Microsoft, in an article about XP icons (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997636.aspx)
"There are four sizes of Windows icons—48 × 48, 32 × 32, 24 × 24, and 16 × 16 pixels."
Last edited by justincase on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

And this is one area for possible improvement over windows without compromising compatibilty?

Icons of 96, 128, 256 bytes? allowing some future proofing?
allowing icons that aren't fully square?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

dizt3mp3r wrote:And this is one area for possible improvement over windows without compromising compatibilty?

Icons of 96, 128, 256 bytes? allowing some future proofing?
allowing icons that aren't fully square?
Why not icons of 1 TB? Each. :P
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Icon sizes are an important feature for customisation and the puny Windows icon sizes always limited it. The larger sizes are compatible with other tools and o/s that are able to use the larger icons. If it can be done without breaking backward compatibility then it would be useful. Keep it sensible pls.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.