Choose Shell Version

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pi_User5

Choose Shell Version

Post by Pi_User5 »

I have been playing around with the shell-experiment builds, and I was thinking while in the 2nd stage setup, the user could choose between the new shell or the old shell based on their preference.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
Black_Fox

Re: Choose Shell Version

Post by Black_Fox »

I think that very soon nobody will want to pick the old one :)
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

I think that very soon nobody will want to pick the old one :)
I miss the desktop switcher in the old explorer.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

The old shell will be completely dumped as soon as the new in put in
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

The old shell will be completely dumped as soon as the new in put in
I hope this happens soon :D

[ external image ]
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

If you want virtual desktops, you can file a bug for that. The team does accept extra features if they find reasonable.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
justincase

Post by justincase »

Or you could use any win32 program for supplying multiple desktops on windows.
Have you tried Microsofts "Virtual Desktop Manager" PowerToy? or VirtuaWin?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Or you could use any win32 program for supplying multiple desktops on windows.
Have you tried Microsofts "Virtual Desktop Manager" PowerToy? or VirtuaWin?
I have and they both work.

[ external image ]
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

It is a BAD IDEA™ to recommend a MS utility to someone who has come in order to escape MS OS while retaining compatibility.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Since the goal of this project is not to "escape" MS, we have no reservations about recommending their tools.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

It is the users' goal, not the project's. Free software Windows-like OS will help them transistion to more free software direction.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Pointing out those apps was not a recommendation of the app(s) as I have no personal experience with either. I believe that the ReactOS project should first focus on reaching full app compatibility before considering adding features which are not present in Windows. There are of course possible exceptions to this, but I think that if multiple desktops can be achieved via a win32 app just like it can on Windows, then it's not necessary (at least for the time being) to build it straight into the shell.
Thus my recommendation was to try a win32 app that's designed to do what was requested.

The purpose behind my choosing to mention a couple of apps was to give Pi_User5 somewhere to start looking if he wasn't aware of the plethora of Windows 'desktop manager' apps available. (I know he tested Sysinternals' "Desktops" as it was mentioned on another post, but I wanted him to know that there are other alternatives, in case he didn't like the way some of them worked)
I specifically chose to mention VirtuaWin because it's open source, and I chose to mention Microsoft's "PowerToy" because it would be a good idea for the ReactOS Project to test Microsoft apps as it works toward full WIndows app compatibility.

And I would venture a guess that most of us are here because we like Windows, but we prefer open source software if we can get it.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

justincase wrote:Pointing out those apps was not a recommendation of the app(s) as I have no personal experience with either. I believe that the ReactOS project should first focus on reaching full app compatibility before considering adding features which are not present in Windows. There are of course possible exceptions to this, but I think that if multiple desktops can be achieved via a win32 app just like it can on Windows, then it's not necessary (at least for the time being) to build it straight into the shell.
Thus my recommendation was to try a win32 app that's designed to do what was requested.

The purpose behind my choosing to mention a couple of apps was to give Pi_User5 somewhere to start looking if he wasn't aware of the plethora of Windows 'desktop manager' apps available. (I know he tested Sysinternals' "Desktops" as it was mentioned on another post, but I wanted him to know that there are other alternatives, in case he didn't like the way some of them worked)
I specifically chose to mention VirtuaWin because it's open source, and I chose to mention Microsoft's "PowerToy" because it would be a good idea for the ReactOS Project to test Microsoft apps as it works toward full WIndows app compatibility.

And I would venture a guess that most of us are here because we like Windows, but we prefer open source software if we can get it.
Well...'like'. I dunno. I neither feel strongly pro or against windows itself, though I have some misgivings about some things MS did.

That said, it's mostly a case of necessity, why I want Windows, and not as much a feeling of 'liking' it on itself. Though, granted, aside from some small gripes, there are versions which are pretty ok. Others (win8 comes to mind) not so much. I have no particular love or distaste for windows, but I want more freedom to go with my current need for it. Things like (over)price-setting, lock-in, MS deciding what is good for you and what not, are not to my liking. Combining more freedom with a windows compatible clone is pretty interesting for me, thus.

Aside that, it has also an 'extra' factor, it being windows-like, in contrast to the myriads of linux-versions out there. Maybe it's a case of 'finding the exotic interesting', but there are few open source OS-projects that have something special/rare to it. The main OSes, including Linux-variants, have a been-there-done-that feeling for me. Some OS projects don't go anywhere, or they're 'rare', but not all that interesting to me (as an idea or something that has some specific technical merit), like the BSD-variants. The only others that pique my interest in this regard somewhat, is Haiku and Kolibri-OS.

Of course, as we can see, fans and users of ROS have all different kinds of motivation, so it's always tricky to guess what would be relevant for a user. If one really has an 'anti-MS/Windows mentality', there is no use in proposing MS apps.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Taskbar window grouping is a similar feature like workspace switching(Windows XP has). I have not heard anyone who specifically wants this, but there are enthusiasts of them.