Wordpad background color ideas

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

middings

Re: Wordpad background color ideas

Post by middings »

erkinalp wrote:...we should implement a API compatible Word implementation.
Poor "we". He is expected to do so much. ;)
justincase

Post by justincase »

Pi_User5 wrote:I added a new color called Latus black.
If you're doing so to follow the "Lautus" theme which was built for ReactOS it's "Lautus", not "Latus".
erkinalp wrote:We need Word equivalent, not WordPad in ReactOS. Almost nobody uses WordPad. 85% of users use Word.
Pi_User5 wrote:I also am trying to work on a word equivalent for ReactOS.
Z98 wrote:No, we do not need a "Word" replacement. That's what Open/LibreOffice is for.
I'm going to agree with Z98 here, Microsoft Windows has never included Word, or an equivalent, but it has included WordPad for a long time. And as OpenOffice & LibreOffice are already making Windows compatible Office suites there is little point for ReactOS to start such an endeavor.
If you want something to be more Windows compatible than Open/LibreOffice is, then I'd suggest helping Open/LibreOffice become more compatible, if you want it to be more ReactOS compatible (where it's already Windows compatible) then I suggest you help coding/debugging/testing ReactOS to get it more Windows-alike.
(However, if you want to start making a Word replacement yourself I'm obviously not going to try to stop you.)
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
middings

Post by middings »

I want to stick up for WordPad. I use it occasionally on my production machines that run Microsoft Windows. WordPad can display .rtf files when Word is not available. Also, I find WordPad useful when I encounter a problem and I want to quickly document it and its solution. Sometimes Notepad's .txt format is too limiting and too ugly.

I agree that a Word implementation is beyond the scope of the ReactOS project.

However when ReactOS can do it, running Microsoft Word will demonstrate ReactOS's compatibility with Microsoft Windows almost as strongly as the original Compaq computer's demonstration of its compatibility with the IBM-PC BIOS by running Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

middings wrote:
erkinalp wrote:...we should implement a API compatible Word implementation.
Poor "we". He is expected to do so much. ;)
Lol.

Anyway, it wasn't clear to me if one was talking about Wordpad, and mistakenly typed 'Word' or not, but obviously, if it's actually Word we're talking about, Justincase is right: it's far beyond the scope of Reactos, and, in fact, Word was never incorporated/integrated in Windows XP in any case, so it's difficult to argument it adds to the 'look and feel' of it (as is a stated goal on the webpage).

This, in contrast to Wordpad, a webbrowser and maybe even a mediaplayer (Not sure about that last one, is been too long ago). And a bunch of wallpapers. ;) For all these things, and others, in as far as it was/has been integrated in XP, one could make a case for it in ROS too, but Word always has been a separate application, that you had to buy separately and install separately...so...

Open/libre office is already trying to fill that gap anyway, so no need for ROS to try to step in. If ROS wants to do additional things, there are a myriad of other, more logical things that could be improved on (some of which I have already mentioned already in other threads).

No, I really don't see a case for ROS creating Word; it would be duplicating other efforts and it's not related to the OS or the project anyway.
Last edited by Webunny on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

I've abandoned the ReactOS Word idea.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]