need help for the website overhaul

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: need help for the website overhaul

Post by Webunny »

andrewweb wrote:While we're at it, should we make the ReactOS website run on ReactOS? :)
Not until 3.15 comes out! :P
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Anyway, DG, I'm a bit curious. Can't you show us anything yet? Put the part you already have on the Net for a small try-out? Or at least some screenshots, perhaps?
DangerGround
Website Coordinator

Post by DangerGround »

No, it would just generate more work and only point me to things I already know. As long as I did not finished the most things on my list, there is no point in showing anything.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

DangerGround wrote:No, it would just generate more work and only point me to things I already know. As long as I did not finished the most things on my list, there is no point in showing anything.
Screenshots wouldn't cost all that much work. It's just clicking on the 'printsctreen' button. ;-)

Also, it's still possible that people might actually suggest some good stuff, maybe even things you didn't thought about yet. (I presume you're not presuming you actually know everything there is to know about everything in regard to a website, and other people can't possible point to something you overlooked.)

Yet, I do sort of understand your feeling. I see it in this forum now and then too: some really think they can 'demand' anything as if it's their god-given right, while having proven nothing. Critiquing is easy, it's actually doing the work that counts, though. Like the posts where someone asked to re-elect a new projectleader for Ros. I mean, what? This guy, (at least his nick), post for the first time, and straight-away he demands a change of leader? It struck me as completely futile. We can all rant as much as we want as forum-posters, in essence it's those that develop Ros that actually..well, develop it. As long as they're fine with it, it's ludicrous to just create an 'election'. Democracy has nothing to do with it; it's just a matter of common sense. In fact, I think, if anything, it should be a meritocracy. Merit should be the discerning quality. And sure, one might find it's lacking with the project leader, but people voting should have merrit too. If you didn't do anything for the project, why the f- should anyone who did care for your vote? In this sense, voting for one or another should be in direct relation to what someone has done for the project.

If not, what's stopping me or anyone from bringing a couple of dozens friends and mates along, and all 'vote' someone out of his function? Than another group could do the same, etc, etc. ad infinitum. I've been testing Ros on hardware, and been posting in this forum, but I don't feel I've 'earned' the right to tell anyone he's not fit (and one would still need to find someone better, even if one did). Testing and posting doesn't give enough credit for anyone to have voting rights on an open-source project, imho.

Same with the website, I guess. So I don't mean that as cheap criticism and expect that one does it the way I say; I'm just giving my thoughts on the matter, and you can do with it what you want, obviously. I would hope it would lead to some pondering about the points I raised instead of a flat-out dismissal, but hey, it's not up to me, in the end.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I fully second your post. This has to be a constructive vote and from ppl who know more of the internals than this forum allows to give you. Most devs don't care of the opinion of any strange vote in here anyway. Most devs don't even join here because they tend to get mad of some comments here.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

So, anyway, DangerGround: how is the site coming along?