search a process in task manager

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

manuel

search a process in task manager

Post by manuel »

[ external image ]

In puppy linux exists a function to search a process in process manager list, i know that it is not a vital function but if we have many processes running in occasions it is not so easy to locate them, reactos should implement something similar in task manager, but besides alone to look for for the name of the process reactos should implemented tags for the processes and this way to be able to also look for of this way.
Haos
Test Team

Re: search a process in task manager

Post by Haos »

I think that making our taskmgr more alike Process Explorer would be more usefull.
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

Wouldn't it be much better if we could get Sysinternals ProcessExplorer (and all other Sysinternal tools) to run on ReactOS rather than (attempting to) reverse engineer/rewrite the whole thing?
The sysinteral EULA doesn't say anything about requiring a valid Windows license, as the .NET framework does.
From the EULA: "
1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your devices."

Getting the Sysinternal tools to run properly would strongly indicate a high level of OS compatibility.
manuel

Post by manuel »

But process to explorer is free? , if is true then should to see if he is viable to include it in reactos or task manager include functions from process explorer (from source code), but if not then task manager only manager "could" take the look (no take source code) from process explorer to not have problems.
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

manuel wrote:But process to explorer is free? , if is true then should to see if he is viable to include it in reactos or task manager include functions from process explorer (from source code), but if not then task manager only manager "could" take the look (no take source code) from process explorer to not have problems.
Sysinternals Process Explorer is free as in $ 0,00, not as in open source. When it runs, it could be included in ReactOS Download Manager; it doesn't need to be included in ReactOS base install. Because it is not in Windows, it does not need to be in ReactOS.
manuel

Post by manuel »

mmm i believe about install process explorer by user from Reactos Applications Manager is no good idea, why?, well because we remember that "average user" he not have the smaller idea of how install a program and much less how download ant install from internet (through Reactos Applications Manager, thinking to future, that someday Reactos is a real alternative to Windows and this system comes preinstalled in computers or in cyber coffees to massive use, ok, I am dreaming but I believe that is the idea with which reactos born or not?), in this case I believe that it would be useful to only advanced users, but no to the majority of users. I propose that to taskmanager takes ideas from process explorer to make it more functional, and if the user wishes then download and install process explorer from Reactos Applications Manager by optional way.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You are obviously right, ultimately, PE should run in ROS. Please mind that this is very complicated application, closely tied with OS, often using undocumented functions and methodes. It might be a very difficult task to make it run properly. On the other hand, adding functionality to taskmanager or writing a Process Explorer clone might be a very usefull experience for the author, as well as enable us to root possible bugs one by one.
The123king

Post by The123king »

I believe older versions of Process Explorer already run under ROS.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Yes, i believe you're right. I have even a pic of it running in ROS on my Blog. Have to look for it later.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
SuperDog
Translation Team

Post by SuperDog »

Process Explorer cannot be included in ReactOS. See EULA.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

It can be deadlinked via rapps.
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

Sorry Haos, what do you mean with "deadlinked"?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Linked directly, my bad.
manuel

Post by manuel »

then reactos should in the taskmanager included functions from process explorer or would be replaced by a clone of process explorer, greetings.
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

manuel wrote:then reactos should in the taskmanager included functions from process explorer or would be replaced by a clone of process explorer, greetings.
ReactOS Task Manager should do the same thing as Windows Task Manager to accomplish ReactOS's design goals. Your personal wish will addressed by being able to run process explorer. Everything else would be a waste of programmers time. Much more time than it took you to put your request in two sentences (correction: ONE sentence). So if you want, go ahead, learn to program C or hire a programmer to do it for you, and create your own superfantastic ReactOS distro with searchable task list, so you can find that process between those thousands of running processes you apparently have running run on your machine, that an alphabetical list is not enough. Hey, it may even be merged in Trunk if it is so cool that everybody wants to have it.

I don't know if you know, but Process Explorer was written by one of the ultimate Windows guru's EVER, so it may be just a BIT of a challenge to "clone".