Skinning ReactOS

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Romi

Skinning ReactOS

Post by Romi »

The theme for ReactOS is based off of Windows 2000, since it's the lowest common denominator as far as themes go between Windows versions. ReactOS should support theming, but there aren't any plans for ReactOS to look like Luna or Aero. Focusing on copying visual styles would distract the already undermanned dev team from getting ReactOS to work.

I plan to theme my ReactOS when I can, too. Selecting and installing themes will ultimately be up to the user, not the devs. Is there any way to install .msstyles themes on ReactOS or is the any way to edit the shell or uxtheme.dll so that it can work with these themes.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Skinning ReactOS

Post by EmuandCo »

There is a way. You need wineconf to activate a theme, but it wont work fully yet, so we dont support it at all for now.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Romi

Post by Romi »

Wine can load Windows themes if you have them available. While this certainly isn't necessary in order to use Wine or applications, it does allow you to customize the look and feel of a program. Wine supports the newer MSStyles typ of themese. Unlike the older Microsoft Plus! style themes, the uxtheme engine supports special .msstyles files that can retheme all of the Windows controls. This is more or less the same kind of theming that modern Linux desktops have supported for years. If you'd like to try this out:

Download a Windows XP theme. Be sure it contains a .msstyles file.

Use the Desktop Integration tab of winecfg to install and select the new theme.
Romi

Post by Romi »

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Which program is the Right Bar?
Romi

Post by Romi »

This is just a concept design with Transparency and Sidebar just like Windows Vista.
Romi

Post by Romi »

http://krosavcheg.deviantart.com/art/Lu ... -102972534

This Visual Style is Open Source. Feel free to modify, port, redistribute, and use it in your own projects in any way you want. No permission is ever needed. Credit is required if you do so. Wouldn't it be cool if we were able to use this on ReactOS.
Romi

Post by Romi »

Angelus

Post by Angelus »

I'm working in my own webpage inspired on ReactOS to upload my Wallpapers. It's called ReactART and it uses a design concept based on Windows Vista. You can take a look of the Alpha version here. (Javascript needed).
Romi

Post by Romi »

ReactART its cool. Its just like a cloud os.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Angelus wrote:I'm working in my own webpage inspired on ReactOS to upload my Wallpapers. It's called ReactART and it uses a design concept based on Windows Vista. You can take a look of the Alpha version here. (Javascript needed).
WOWOWOWOW....
It looks quite nice :)
Cant we skin ReactOS with that Design?
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i have uploaded wineconf for anyone who wants to try it: http://www.mediafire.com/?7q88uvajlww8u
(i even included a msstyle )