new layout for Dax Shell (2011)

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ey3

Re: new layout for Dax Shell (2011)

Post by Ey3 »

I think Luna theme has become a classic and should be there in ROS since it recalls to the user one of best moments of WinNT.
Of course it's not the one theme on the earth, everyone will be able to choose his favourite one! ;)
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

im soooo sick of Luna,i imagine most people would be too, i would rather "windows classic" or a windows 7 mock up any day, i really like the Linux Mint 7 themes.

http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/ ... -Now-2.png

http://www.robotsystematic.com/wp-conte ... 7-menu.jpg
Last edited by betaluva on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDog
Translation Team

Post by SuperDog »

Mint 7 theme looks excellent. Professional work.
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

yeah,they are nice color combination's, easy on the eye.
Ey3

Post by Ey3 »

The ultimate goal of ReactOS is to allow you to remove Windows® and install ReactOS without the end user noticing the change.
It is right that the themes you have posted are nice, but we are talking about the default theme, and the only theme that can be put on without too many discussions is one of Window's classics. It'll be customizable so you'll be able to change it to your favourite, but please don't blame Dax or others to make it as YOU personally like.
zefklop
Developer

Post by zefklop »

No.

The best look would be one which would make this kind of discussion happen :

"Hey, your windows looks pretty cool. Where did you get this theme?"
"Its not windows, it's reactOS!"

So please, no need to copy Luna...
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

So does this have anything to do with Windows themes /.msstyles files / UXTHEME, or is this just a cheap cop-out that only looks like one particular theme (Luna)? ReactOS Explorer should support all the XP themes currently available out there, faking it would be pretty pointless.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Pesho wrote:So does this have anything to do with Windows themes /.msstyles files / UXTHEME, or is this just a cheap cop-out that only looks like one particular theme (Luna)? ReactOS Explorer should support all the XP themes currently available out there, faking it would be pretty pointless.
Dax Shell is not an official ReactOS shell, but an useful shell replacement to make it look/work better until the new_explorer work in ReactOS (IIRC, some OLE is missing).
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

Pesho wrote:So does this have anything to do with Windows themes /.msstyles files / UXTHEME, or is this just a cheap cop-out that only looks like one particular theme (Luna)? ReactOS Explorer should support all the XP themes currently available out there, faking it would be pretty pointless.
yeah, and we should all win the state lottery1 shoulder,coulder,woulder, who cares if its not a real theme,it could be a good "temporary" solution until you or someone else implement support for mssytles.
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

betaluva wrote:
who cares if its not a real theme,it could be a good "temporary" solution until you or someone else implement support for msstyles.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

It's just disappointing, that's all. Is UxTheme support so hard to implement, that it would be easier to just fake it, or is this just wasted effort - that's what i'm wondering.

Another thing is that "pretty themes" are not what's important here, it's support for them. I'd much rather stick to the current "Classic" theme than have something that's pseudo-working... but that's me. Most people just don't care if something is halfassed when it looks like it's working.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

If he makes it uxtheme skinable under WIndows, then it might get a skin under arwinss already... just as sidenote.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

nice job! it crashes on Windows Xp,
Last edited by betaluva on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

betaluva wrote:nice job! it crashes on Windows Xp, i wonder how it will go on ReactOS?
just tried on XP and Wine.. works fine for me.

what error 're u receiving??