Should we work on the UI?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

bntser

Should we work on the UI?

Post by bntser »

I know that developers don't want to waste precious resources on look&feel, but couldn't someone like me who has design skills (but not very good programming skills) work on this myself? Making attractive artwork attracts more users, so this would greatly help the project gain popularity among non-developers. How can I help out, but not get into the developers way?

I'm good at using Gimp, PSE, and Inkscape.

If this isn't what is need, please don't be mad at me!!! I only want to help, and if this is not needed, I'll find another thing I can do ;)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Should we work on the UI?

Post by vicmarcal »

bntser wrote:I know that developers don't want to waste precious resources on look&feel, but couldn't someone like me who has design skills (but not very good programming skills) work on this myself? Making attractive artwork attracts more users, so this would greatly help the project gain popularity among non-developers. How can I help out, but not get into the developers way?

I'm good at using Gimp, PSE, and Inkscape.

If this isn't what is need, please don't be mad at me!!! I only want to help, and if this is not needed, I'll find another thing I can do ;)
Hi bntser!
Do you have a portfolio with some of your designs?Just curious! :)
To modify the UI ( at the current state) you need some C knowledge, but you can work the designs if a dev wants to modify it.
Please, send me (if you want) your contact details and I will add you to a database that I will contact when something about design is needed. We are about to redesign the website so we will need some icons/graphics and such soon.
Thanks for your help!
bntser

Post by bntser »

I do have a portfolio here: http://ubuntu-user333.deviantart.com/
And here: http://opendesktop.org/usermanager/sear ... me=user333

Please understand that some of my work on opendesktop (and even deviantart) was done when I was new to Gimp and theme making, so don't judge me by what I did two years ago. I've improved my skills since then. I am able to do much better if I decide to make something good, those things are just for fun. I've played with C, and have tried to learn many other languages, so I think I could pick it up pretty quickly. Even though on my portfolio you will see that I use Linux, I also have xp, win7, win98, and win95. About the website, I am somewhat familiar with CSS and making web graphics.

I sent you a private message with my email in it.
LucAvArt

Post by LucAvArt »

I can create icons and to help with the general concepts of the new GUI (My work on http://lucavart.deviantart.com/gallery/), obviously it's not all. You may have worked on improving win7 and came to some interesting conclusions, which gladly will share with you. (Sorry for my english)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We will be glad to have designers working on the UI, but for now the possibilities are quite limited. Current shell will be replaced so there is little point in putting effort into changing it atm. Icons on the other hand - we could really use a nice set of our own, customized ones, but we would need to replace Tango set, quite a large one. Are you guys capable of creating hundreds of icons for us?
LucAvArt

Post by LucAvArt »

Currently working on a multimedia package of icons contains some 300 to 400 icons, so the number of one thousand I would say that it is not scary for me and even told me that a little strange, the same file shell32.dll in the windows has some 400 icons. This will be a great honor for me if I could be at least a little help to develop this system
bntser

Post by bntser »

I can create other things too, such as wallpapers if working on the shell is pointless for now. I'll be looking forward to see your icons, LucAvArt :)

But one thing needs work: there is no branding guides, as far as I know! Who is going to decide how ReactOS looks? Should there be a contest?

Forgive me for comparing ReactOS to Linux, but when Ubuntu created their new look, despite some accusations of being mac-like, it really boosted it's popularity. We need to come up with something that sets the project apart from everything else, something stylish and modern but not cloning other OS's brands.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@LucAvArt

Excuse my initial doubt, its just all previous attempts to replace Tango with own icon set ended right at the start. You will be more than welcome to give it a try if only you could find enough time to complete such a daring project. I would recommend a starter of several icons 20-30 perhaps, that are mostly used/visible in ROS. A few of them up front would be even more convenient to have ReactOS team a look at them, to check if the format is the one we need, etc.
LucAvArt

Post by LucAvArt »

I agree with you, we should have an overall concept design for this well was to create a base of icons that would be easy to upgrade, and from which we can select the files that are in a time of need. As I mentioned I played a little bit API and noticed that the windows and run the program much more stable as the use of icons that have size 16,32,48 and 256 in 3 color palettes 4, 8 and 32 bit. This is because that system did not have to generate the size of which was missing for me this begs the question of what size and color palette that natively supports OS Reactor. Last question / suggestion regarding the presentation, I want to interface was as simple as possible without unnecessary incriminating things. It would be good to create something completely fresh amounts have even made ​​the first sketches to the general concept. As soon as you connect the scanner I could show you what I more or less the terms we can also think about what could be improved, delete or add. Of course, nothing on the strength. To make it all clear does not want to look around with all the silent practically nothing. I want to create a new project whose sole purpose is a new design incorporating icons, wallpapers, buttons and all the rest and just like all the pieces of the puzzle will be ready, then substitute it with the old. I understand there are always the fear that someone might be bored or stop work. All we need is the basic data.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Could you list what would you need to start working on icons? I would pass the list upstream then.
LucAvArt

Post by LucAvArt »

As you can see the basic difference between the icons in XP and Vista, and 7 is the compression of PNG (which translates to the file size), for this I would like to know if ReactorOS supports PNG compression, which uses a scale (eg 16.32, 48 and 256 pixels) whether he is working in either 32-bit, 24 bit, 256 colors and 16 colors, which uses standard extensions (eg. sys. bin or jpg). It would be good to get a list of icons (eg control panel needs a steering wheel icon, mouse, etc.) who work in sizes such as 24x24 pixels. As for the icon that was probably to make things, I put the photos of the standard icons with XP, Vista and 7 I know that I am not alone and others also would be glad to help, and so the second thing is the login screen, boot strap, buttons, cursors, and the rest of the GUI, which files are responsible for this.

XP-http: / / img843.imageshack.us/i/standardiconxp.jpg
Vista and Seven-http: / / img710.imageshack.us/i/standardiconvistaseven.jpg
hypercube33

Post by hypercube33 »

I too would like to help, some things in reactos just look "off" - I know, its beta, but I dont want sit by idle and watch it drag on, I'm tired of paying $100+ per machine for windows - most expensive part even after a $200 video card :P

During my younger years I spent my time resource hacking windows 2000/xp to make it more compact, uniform feel. People bugged me a lot of these, though I'm not sure I can dig them up to post on here (probably disqualifying me of helping, no?)
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

hypercube33 wrote:I too would like to help, some things in reactos just look "off" - I know, its beta, but I dont want sit by idle and watch it drag on, I'm tired of paying $100+ per machine for windows - most expensive part even after a $200 video card :P

During my younger years I spent my time resource hacking windows 2000/xp to make it more compact, uniform feel. People bugged me a lot of these, though I'm not sure I can dig them up to post on here (probably disqualifying me of helping, no?)
It's alpha. Also, if part of your resource hacking involves disassembling a MS program or library, your are probably disqualified.
hypercube33

Post by hypercube33 »

I figured, and I wasnt assuming it wasnt alpha.

The only thing I really did was use open things like explorer.exe in vs.net and mess with dialog boxes, but I assume that /really/ disqualifies me :?: