New CD Cover Design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

bntser

New CD Cover Design

Post by bntser »

Vicmarcal asked my to create a new CD cover design. I have created a modern design for the CD, and I hope you like it :) Please tell me anything that you don't like, or want me to change. The cover is 100% SVG, exept for the "COMPACT DISK BOOTABLE" icon. Made in Inkscape. Requires the AvantGarde Bk BT font, at least until the text titles are what they should be, then the text can be converted to curves.

[ external image ]

I contacted Vicmarcal about it, but got no reply for several days, so I am posting it here.

Note: You will see that the text boxes go out a bit from the sides. This can be fixed easily, but I didn't want to do it yet because it will make any major layout or text changes difficult. The text is just filler, I didn't know what to put in.

Link to Inkscape SVG source:
http://ubuntu-user333.deviantart.com/ar ... -203080400
Last edited by bntser on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: New CD Cover Design

Post by Z98 »

Well done indeed. I've been sitting on a side project for ROS that needs basically a template background. Would you happen to have time to create one?
led-bloon

Post by led-bloon »

Just my 2c worth...
I think on the whole it looks fantastic! Only 2 small suggestions:
1. Logo + "ReactOS" or "ReactOS" + logo, not a mixture.
2. Would be nice if the background to the logo was light colored. The further away from the orb
the background grows darker (with whatever pattern is chosen). Implying that it (the logo) is a
"shining light"
These are only my ideas, the powers that be may have totally different ideas.
Best Regards and well done
led
AMD Athlon 2650e - Windows XP Home SP3 - VMWare Player v2
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

I like it a lot, I think we should use it...
janl

Post by janl »

One note: On the left side under vertically written "Overview" is vertical text "New in 3.13". Should be perhaps "New in 0.3.13".
bntser

Post by bntser »

Thank you all for the nice comments and suggestions!

@janl: I will fix the mistake with the version number later today. (The file is an svg, so you can change anything you want, too. I made it very easy to maintain and edit.)

@Led-bloon:
Thanks for the suggestions! The 2nd one sounds cool! I tried to actually do that a little bit, but not to the extent you suggested.
Could you please explain more about the first, though?
1. Logo + "ReactOS" or "ReactOS" + logo, not a mixture.
led
I think you meant to keep the logo combination consistent, but I wasn't sure.

@ Z98: I would love to help, but I'm not quite sure what you need. Could you please explain a little more? Just tell me here or send a private message, and I'll do it as quickly as I can ;)
led-bloon

Post by led-bloon »

yes - logo combination consistent.
The default is "ReactOS" on top of the orb
Rgds
led
AMD Athlon 2650e - Windows XP Home SP3 - VMWare Player v2
bntser

Post by bntser »

OK. Now I understand. I Think I'll leave the logo the way it is, though, because it is a major part of the style. Thanks, anyway, though! I will try to make it more consistent by maybe changing the one on the spine to match the one on the front.
Saibamen

Post by Saibamen »

Very nice :) Update [img] in topic :P
ReactOS Forum Global Moderator
IT-Maniak.pl administrator
bntser

Post by bntser »

Thank you :)

And I'll update that preview... Sorry about that.
theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

Very nice design.
But what I miss, are scrrenshots like in the 0.3.1- and 0.3.3 boolkets: http://svn.reactos.org/media/
With screenshots you have for the short time the nice feeling, to acctually use the program - but without starting it.
And the coloring seems for me a little bit too dark.

Additional to the booklet it would be nice to have a paper sleeve, like Haiku have:
http://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/cd-paper-sleeve

The booklet is then for the own, to have ReactOS in a nice cover at home.
And a paper sleeve could be for a fair, to spread ReactOS-CDs and -DVDs in bulks.

Greatings
theuserbl
Saibamen

Post by Saibamen »

Yes! Screenshots is nice idea :)
ReactOS Forum Global Moderator
IT-Maniak.pl administrator
luluthefirst

Post by luluthefirst »

Waoh, I can see this cover on ReactOS's CD, I hope it will be used, it looks very nice for an OS CD, nice work !
bntser

Post by bntser »

I have been working on another update, and it should go online in a few days ;) Many refinements are coming, including a shortened description by Vicmarcal, leaving a little more space on the back.

I consider all suggestions and criticism, so don't be afraid to tell me something! I just may not actually change everything, because if I try to please everyone, I will end up with a very un-stylized CD cover.

theuserbl: Thanks for all your ideas! Vicmarcal had already suggested that the colors are too "sad" so I actually am working on making the colors happier and brighter. Do you have any suggestions about where I can put the screenshots? (I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude, I just couldn't figure out where, and have room for everything else, too. Please send me an email or PM and we can discuss it.) I thought maybe I could show the features and screenshots in a slip inside the case. (like the ones that tell what chapters are on a DVD)

That paper sleeve is cool! I should work on that, but that is a project of it's own ;) Perhaps after this one is done!
Thank you, luluthefirst :)
Last edited by bntser on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Uh, you weren't supposed to leak that.