New CD Cover Design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: New CD Cover Design

Post by Webunny »

SomeGuy wrote:If it were me, I would just drop the version number from the graphic.
That would be impractical. Imagine that we really go for it, and make those discs 'officially' available. After a while, you wouldn't know which version(s) you had laying around. As far as I know, every OS, including Ubuntu, mentions it's version, and with good reason.

No, the versionnumber is not the problem. Far more important is it, to know if anything is going to be done with it. The art-cover is really good. It seems a waste to just leave it at that, with an idle showcase in some post on the forum.

What about my idea about 'selling' it? Or at least distributing it to donators at a certain level/amount (as a thank-you and/or extra incentive)?
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

I come back on my former proposal: is there any interest from the devs to create an actual printed/packaged Ros CD? One could then 'sell' (aka, sponsoring where one gives something back as a gesture) to fans and other interested parties.

I've checked the prices to let those be created professionally, and it isn't as expensive as I thought, if one orders 500 at once. For 10 euro or something, you would already have a nice 'profit', aka, surplus in sponsoring.

And also, it wouldn't let go to waste the effort of bntser.
milon

Post by milon »

As far as disc sales go, we could also just use http://on-disk.com/ to sell CD's.
bntser

Post by bntser »

Z98 wrote:Hmm? Who told you that? Any such decision like that would have to go through me, and I'd be fairly vocal about opposing it.
Well, maybe it was just gossip. I just figured that it was partially true since the cover had never been uploaded (the version on the svn is an early draft and has tons of mistakes) and it wasn't on the download page. I'm not mad, and I'll make another version if you want it, but I didn't want to waste my time if the previous two versions weren't ever used. Sorry for the misunderstanding ;)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

As far as disc sales go, we could also just use http://on-disk.com/ to sell CD's.
We *could*, but is anyone going to? And what for conditions do you get, there? I note the page where it says "1.2 Selling Products. Users who would like to sell their Products through On-Disk.com must also enter into the Developers Agreement." is blanc and unreachable, for instance; not a very good sign. Can reactos get 50% of any 'profits', at on-disk? If we do it ourselves, at least we can play closer to the ball, and also make gestures to give it away, for bigger donations, for instance.

If there really is some interest with fans and supporters and/or even the casually interested, and no-one wants to take the risk, I want to give it a try. But maybe I should first make a poll or something, to gauge the interest, because otherwise, I'm stuck with 500 Ros-CD's. ;-) bnts' graphical inlay is pretty damn good. I first thought maybe to ask to redo it in a smaller form, for a cardboard sleeve print, but those are pretty expensive in small quantities (alas, because I like those the best). But with classical DVD-boxes and frontpages where his format is meant for, it's the cheapest ratio, and one could go as low as 5 euro for a disk, or something. In the end, it's primarily still a donation-effort, of course, but one with a slight incentive. 8-)
bntser wrote:
Z98 wrote:Hmm? Who told you that? Any such decision like that would have to go through me, and I'd be fairly vocal about opposing it.
Well, maybe it was just gossip. I just figured that it was partially true since the cover had never been uploaded (the version on the svn is an early draft and has tons of mistakes) and it wasn't on the download page. I'm not mad, and I'll make another version if you want it, but I didn't want to waste my time if the previous two versions weren't ever used. Sorry for the misunderstanding
No, you did a great job. You keep at it. It's mostly due to common lethargy and apathy, me thinks. It's just very difficult to move anything in a project like this. The devs have better things to do, and lot's of others just talk but don't do much or won't take a risk. What do you think of the plan to actually make (print) and sell Ros-CD's?

Did you already make something that could be used to print ON a CD? With the following measurements:

http://publications.europa.eu/vademecum ... annex2.pdf

Otherwise, feel free to do so. :D
bntser

Post by bntser »

The idea of making CDs to sell sounds great! I'll help out with any graphics we would need :)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I've filed a bug for outdated official cover: http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=7143
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

bntser wrote:The idea of making CDs to sell sounds great! I'll help out with any graphics we would need :)
Could you give a try, in the same style as your former, for something ON the CD, to be printed? See the measurements in my former post above (you don't need to cut a hole in the middle, that's done automaticcally by the CD-print-services, just make sure no text is in that area). I would suggest the logo, the version (+ alpha), and maybe underneath the hole the slogan that can be seen on the ex-revamped website "Open your windows to freedom". I quite liked that slogan. :)
Last edited by Webunny on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bntser

Post by bntser »

@Webunny: I will probably make a color version, and a high-contrast version for lightscribe. And yes, I will include all those things you mentioned ;)
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

so ros won't be free to download then or free to share?
bntser

Post by bntser »

Dave3434 wrote:so ros won't be free to download then or free to share?
No, I don't think anyone is planning that at all, so don't worry :) Ubuntu sells CDs even though it is freely downloadable, because sometimes it is nice to have a physical disk. I think in the case of ReactOS, CDs would be useful in raising money, as well as for distribution to increase awareness. I have big doubts that ReactOS would become a pay-to-use product. That would defeat the whole reason the project was started.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

o.k thanks for the reply mate :)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Dave3434 wrote:so ros won't be free to download then or free to share?
No, no, you misunderstand. Ros, on itself, is and will always be free, as in freedom and beer (well, as a download). You should rather see this as an extra sponsoring effort, to support Ros.
Last edited by Webunny on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

The CDs will be sold because, unlike FOSS source code, the physical media and print cost something to produce. The content (ReactOS) is still completely free. It's like some sort of "Shipping & Handling" costs.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

bntser wrote:@Webunny: I will probably make a color version, and a high-contrast version for lightscribe. And yes, I will include all those things you mentioned ;)

Be sure to give me a sign when the full color is ready. I'm not sure if there are other requirements for/from the printing services, but I'll let you know if they let me know. That is, IF it's going to work out, that is, and I get at least 15 positive responses on the poll.