Lautus - ReactOS visual style

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

gonzoMD

Re: Lautus - ReactOS visual style

Post by gonzoMD »

this looks awesome, but I can just say again that we should switch the ugly tango icons to faenza, which would fit better to the lautus theme.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Make them, and I do the rest ^^. But in all colors and sizes we have in Windows of course ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

EmuandCo wrote:Make them, and I do the rest ^^. But in all colors and sizes we have in Windows of course ^^
I already started with the shell32 ones. (9 layers, 3 ones for 16, 32 and 48px in 4, 8 and 24+8 bit).

Also I'm going to make the missing 214-217.bmp's new from scratch (as the ones I got from Deviantart contained Windows graphics :( ).

There are also many tango based bmps in user mode apps. So this will take some time.
I already have a plan.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nice to hear that. Good that someone already takes that task. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

I changed about 75% of what is already inside shell32.
Also I did the nonsense work to change explorer_old's icons (and also fxxcked up the navigation icons of the explorer window. I know why they look so shitty but I won't fix them now)

It seems that explorer_old downscales the icons to 24px, what looks bad too, but I will not care much about this (hopefully soon) obsolete piece of software.

[ external image ]

EDIT:

I also played around with the shell-experiments branch. There it looks awesome at all

[ external image ]
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

With this combination of theme and icons ReactOS suddenly looks very modern, even without transparency or round corners.

EDIT: only saw the shell-experiments branch now, that looks even better!
oldman

Post by oldman »

I see nothing in the two screenshots to get excited about! I think that the explorer looks dull and the only nice looking icon is the desktop 'My Computer'. Sorry folks.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
manuel

Post by manuel »

nice appareance of reactos, but this icons only exists in the experimental branch or in the diary versions of reactos too?
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

oldman wrote:I see nothing in the two screenshots to get excited about! I think that the explorer looks dull and the only nice looking icon is the desktop 'My Computer'. Sorry folks.
I use Faenza on my Linux machine and like it very much, so I may be biased a little... but then, this is subjective opinion anyway :-) The terminal/commandline icon is very cool in Faenza and not yet in that screenshot.
manuel wrote:nice appareance of reactos, but this icons only exists in the experimental branch or in the diary versions of reactos too?
This is not in experimental branch and not in daily builds. This is only a private/personal experiment of GonzoMD, he used trunk and shell-experiments branches, but added his own work.
manuel

Post by manuel »

Black_Fox wrote:This is not in experimental branch and not in daily builds. This is only a private/personal experiment of GonzoMD, he used trunk and shell-experiments branches, but added his own work.
go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, that if that is good news, I hope soon to see these new icons, luxury reactos 8-)
timmay2019

Post by timmay2019 »

From my view, with the Lautus theme and the Faenza icons, it looks like a modern & professional OS. It makes it look like ROS as it's own OS and not affiliated with windows, yet still has the feel of Windows. With these visual improvements I can say that it will get a number of people to take an interest and can possibly help out. I can't help myself but to say it's a very exciting year for ROS :D.
Nemerian

Post by Nemerian »

Looks a lot like the concept for CE the devs put a while ago.
Maybe they could use it as a basis to cut them a lot of work?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Nemerian wrote:Looks a lot like the concept for CE the devs put a while ago.
Maybe they could use it as a basis to cut them a lot of work?
We used exactly this theme for the concept. It is also included to trunk yet, but not activated by default.