Mega Games Pack for ReactOS & Bugs to fix

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

GlennLChugg

Mega Games Pack for ReactOS & Bugs to fix

Post by GlennLChugg »

Free Mega Games Pack: http://www.lastos.org/releases.html
More info and Screenshots here: http://www.lastos.org/forum/index.php?t ... ition.422/

I know it's a little early to be getting these types of projects underway, but I thought I should list the bugs now so that when it is time, I know they'll be addressed.

Bugz:
Window states are ignored on app startup (SW_HIDE set default)

Has 0 Depth Bitmap regression http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25549

The above bug stops the correct drawing of Free Mega Games Pack and MANY of the mini games it includes.

Mouse Position in full screen apps is incorrect, if using a custom cursor you can see how the real pointer is still drawn but doesn't line up with the custom drawn one. This was present in "5 Days a Stranger" game (Adventure Game Studio), but not "A B O O" Game, so it's only affecting some full screen methods.

Some of the Full screen tests left the Taskbar in front and corrupted.

Quitting a Full screen app doesn't always refresh the desktop, instead your left with the last full screen graphics and only the active window rect refreshes.

Comments:
* I will make up a new pack for the games that work 100% on ReactOS once the next version of ReactOS is released... I just wish I knew when that might be so I can plan my time around it.

I have also released a Linux Mega Games Pack here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1858387

I've been watching ReactOS very closely for the last 9 years and can't wait for the fun part to begin... the part where we make it better than the OS's it will be replacing :)
GlennLChugg

Re: Mega Games Pack for ReactOS & Bugs to fix

Post by GlennLChugg »

By the way I was testing on the 0.3.13 so if any of the bugs are addressed in the trunk builds it wont be a problem.

I'll be grabbing the latest Trunk to try things out now, just thought I'd see what the general public would expect if trying Mega Games Pack for ReactOS.
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

Trunk fixed the SW_HIDE problem Cmd windows are now hidden when expected.

Trunk hasn't got the Bitmap fix.

The explorer refresh call isn't happening, so the icons for new associated file types etc don't get applied without a manual refresh.

Dual file selection then copy and pasting them fails, can only copy paste one file at a time.

Seems that the 7z.exe calls are getting ignored, thus making SetupS fail to read the .7z internal structure like it did in 0.3.13.

A folder with 470 items has been unstable and explorer crashes (mouse freeze)

Inno Setup failed to create the SetupS install found at LastOS.org. it has an empty Program Files folder.

SetupS is written in AutoIt, it also fails to act as well as it did in 0.3.13, I think it's regarding 7z.exe, I've tested 7z.exe separate to SetupS and it executes as expected, so it may be a problem with the way arguments are passed, since the changes to hide cmd when using ren, copy (dos commands) obviously changes have been made to this method.

* The current 54516 Trunk makes the whole LastOS toolset unworkable compared to 0.3.13, I'll wait until the next Stable build before I try again, unless I am needed for testing.
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

its a good idea but i think you should create a custom version for ReactOS users, if a newbie tries to apply win7 tweaks to ReactOS they will probably kill their install (example:" win7 boot loader),

also, i think you should create a windowsxp version, lots of people still use windows xp.
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

No no, not the app disk, I already knew that would need re packaging, the Games pack is all I am interested in for now, once that works it'll be worth making the app pack as ssWPI and SetupS have to function before I can do that. SetupS works in all Windows and all Debian/Gnome (probably all Linux) via WINE. ssWPI also works in all the OS's (once the linux bug was addressed they introduced 3 years ago in 9.10).

The tools are open sourced (of cause) but they are written in RealStudio using the 30 day trial - I rarely run a OS for a whole month :)

If you guys put the time in getting the tools to function, I'll put in the testing and packaging time for it. ReactOS has always had my vote, just any attempts at learning C have left me running for a more modern language. So I've not been any help apart from bug reports or suggestions.

Watching this thread, keep me informed please.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

GlennLChugg wrote:
If you guys put the time in getting the tools to function, I'll put in the testing and packaging time for it. ReactOS has always had my vote, just any attempts at learning C have left me running for a more modern language. So I've not been any help apart from bug reports or suggestions.

Watching this thread, keep me informed please.
Hi Glenn, a pleasure having you around ReactOS ;)
I will try to push your bugs asap to ReactOS devs(included the fix to the Bitmpa regression).
But you can help me a lot by filling Bug reports in ReactOS bugzilla. I will CC them to the proper Devs so the bug will have higher chances to be fixed.
Seems you have tried 0.3.13 and latest trunk build. Also you found new bugs in our latest trunk(as the 7z one),can you point us which are regressions and which are not?
We will begin commiting the patch,then regtesting/bugfixing and then trying to find the common ones.

The future of 0.3.14 will be decided in 3 days :)
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

I'll get the build environment set up on my PC so I can properly test and report the problems and regressions, it may take me a few days to sort that out, I do not want to delay the next release as so much has been done since the last public release and until I have a grasp on the testing methods here the information I've given is as good as I can give. I'll make some test cases to simplify the tests. The main problem of cause is the lack of SetupS's ability to work in the latest Trunk, meaning the bug I had would affect other programs too, so it may already be reported.

It's late here so I'll make a start first thing tomorrow ;)

Hopefully the devs will get a chance to check in on this thread as the bugs require a bit of background of LastOS at least until I get a chance to find and report the actual problems, if anyone else wants to have a go at reporting the bugs in the mean time, the LastOS tools are freely available to see the problem.

Sorry I don't have more time to get it done already :)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

GlennLChugg wrote:I'll make some test cases to simplify the tests.
They will be really appreciated :) Total Commander devs or Winrar devs have done the same(pointing us to the specific API call failing) and that helped a lot to find the bugs: Total Commander is working nowadays.

Hope to see your games working in ReactOS soon!
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

@glenn, i downloaded the wrong pack the first time :oops: ,

if you want to add Metal Blob solid (for windows )to your pack then here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?2ivrfkblmnvm5hw
Last edited by betaluva on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

I've got the latest Trunk (5...29) forgot to jot down the number but it's todays, I ran a build:

CD-ROM image made successfully

Total Build Time: 00:50:05

I'll need to find out if there is a faster way to test code changes tho, I don't want to wait 50 minutes to test a code block or diff if I don't have to, the wiki doesn't have any tips for this?

Update to bugs:

* Inno Setup failed to create the SetupS install found at LastOS.org. it has an empty Program Files folder. -EDIT- Installing files doesn't get it's directory updated within the default explorer, but the files are actually there.

* Desktop Links are not grabbing or caching the .exe Icons (RealStudio Compiled, may affect other .exe too).

* Seems that the 7z.exe calls are getting ignored, thus making SetupS fail to read the .7z internal structure like it did in 0.3.13. (This may be caused by the use of %TEMP% or %TMP% failing to return a valid path, untested).

Reported Bugs:
Bitmap Depth Bug:
http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6705

SetupS Regression:
http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6706
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

Initial testing with today's Trunk: Mega Games Pack

A-C (Testing more tomorrow):-

Works Perfect:-

Code: Select all

DosBox .74 games work great
Aladdin Puzzle
Alien Carnage (DosBox)
Arkan Ball
Aztec Challenge
Bernard n Hank
Berusky
Blocco
Boulder Remake
Boxes
Brain Hotel
Burning Sand
Chromatron 1
Chromatron 2
Chromatron 3
Chromatron 4
Cube Lines (Slow but playable)
Work But With Issues:-

(Mouse Issue) = Doesn't allow full screen motion (cuts off after cursor is off top left)

Mouse Issues:
5 Days A Stranger
Bridge Builder (Mouse Acceleration is off)

Taskbar Issue:
6 Days A Sacrifice (Mouse Issue)
7 Days A Skeptic (Mouse Issues)
Alex Kidd Is Back
Apprentice 1 Deluxe
Bobble Dragons Adventure
Cave Story
Cedric And The Revolution
Cosmos Quest 1 (Mouse Issue)
Cosmos Quest 2 (Mouse Issue)
Cosmos Quest 3 (Mouse Issue)

Speed Issues: (Very Slow)
A-B-O-O
Absolute Survival
Azteca (Causes BSOD on Exit)
B.A.L.L.O.
Ball Racer
Boulder Rocks! 3D
Cosmoball
Crazy Birds
Crazy Lunch

Draw Issues:-
Babble
BCs Quest (Flickers then exits when you start)
Brix Quest

Broken:-

(DX Missing) = d3dxof.dll
(Says Missing Data files) = Only occurs on ReactOS
(Wont Start) = Doesn't attempt to create initial window

Does Not Work:-
A Game About Bouncing (SDL window show, then does not start)
Air Hockey
Alien GP (DX Missing)
Alien Racer (DX Missing)
Alpha Six (Doesn't get past Splash)
Amazing Jigsaw
An Untitled Story (Says Missing Data files)
Antz (Says Missing Data files)
Arcade
Assault Cube
Attack Of The Groox 1 (DX Missing)
Aztec Bricks (Startup then quits)
Barbarian Returns (Custom Dll errors out)
Battleships Forever (Stuck on Splash)
Billy Bob
Blackjack (Required Network and Draws incorrectly)
Blob Lander
Blobs 2 (Wont Start)
Block Verse
Bob The Blob (Stuck Loading)
Bod Blob (Crashes after start screens)
Bontago
Boulders Never Die (Says Missing Data files)
Bowling Blast
Bowling Evolution
Bowling PC
Breakout 3D
Bruce Lee 2
Bubbilistik (Detects DX9.0 not 9.0c)
Bubble Burster
Bubble Quest
Bug Defender
Bunny Girl Must Die (BSOD)
Byte Ality Tower Defense
Caiman Soccer (DX dll Missing)
Cake Factory
Cake Queen
CandyGram
Cartoonix
Caterpillars - The Revenge (DX Missing)
Caveman Craig (Says Missing Data files)
Cereus Peashy (BSOD)
Chaks Temple (Exits After Startup)
Champ (Messes up desktop and doesn't start)
Charma (Runs slow, Custom Mouse Cursor is covered by default cursor, crashes)
Codename Countdown
Codename Gordon (BSOD, would work without ssWPI)
Crack Attack (Wont Decompress the tga's)
Crayon Physics (Wont start)
Crillion GPI (Nothing Displayed)
Crimson Road (Wont Start)
Cuber Extreme (Wants Flash ActiveX)

Does Not Work (Music Device Missing):
Aztec God
Beacon
Blocksum
Crazy Over Goo

Does Not Work (NowStat games, injected Web loader):-
Adam And Eve
Agu Maze
Alien Breed
Atillery Tower
Beer Tapper Gone Wild
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I'll need to find out if there is a faster way to test code changes tho, I don't want to wait 50 minutes to test a code block or diff if I don't have to, the wiki doesn't have any tips for this?
Reactos compillation is somekind "intelligent".Future compilations will just compile the changes done to the code and not the whole code.So if you add 3 or 4 lines to a file, the whole ISO will take just 1 min or less to compile.
There are 2 ways to compile a change:

1)EASIEST BUT LONGEST
-Modify the desired file/s
-Open RosBE and type: makex bootcd
-RosBE will create a new bootcd ISO with all the new changes
CONS: You will need to create a new VM, and going through the whole ReactOS installation process.
PROS: The easiest.

2)PROFESSIONAL and SHORTER
-Modify the desired files
-Open RosBE and type: makex [nameofmoduletoberecompiled]
(ie: makex shell32 or makex explorer or makex adavapi32...etc)
-RosBE will compile the module (shell32.dll or explorer.exe or advapi32.dll..) and it will be placed in the folder "i386-output".(shell32.dll will be in i386-output/base/dll/win32/shell32.dll)
-Two ways to place the new binary into the VM:
---Create an .iso with the new binary,attach it to the VirtualMachine CDROM, access it from ReactOS,replace the old with the new one.
OR
---Use an external app to Mount the VM Harddisk(I use Winmount), it will mount a Z: drive showing allthe files in the VM.You will be able to replace,copy,cut,anything.
THIS IS MY FAVOURITE METHOD:Fastest and, most of the times, needed as sometimes the OS wont let you replace a file(dll,exe) as it is being used ;)
PROS: It reduces slightly the compilation time, as RosBE doesnt have to check the whole code to find the differences. Also it doesnt force you to do a "reinstallation" which takes some minutes.
CONS: You need an extra app(when the file cant be replaced directly in ReactOS)

Hope it helps you!
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

* Desktop Links are not grabbing or caching the .exe Icons (RealStudio Compiled, may affect other .exe too).
You need to force a refresh in Desktop(right click->Refresh) to show the changes in the Desktop.
I have detected some problems in Shortlinks where the icons are not displayed at all.
This could be a regression.May you check if after applying the patch the icons are still missing?

Thanks
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

I've not tested the above condition yet, but even rebooting today's 29 build would leave my Links with no icon, the Computer etc has it's Icons, just not custom .exe, I'll update my SVN tomorrow and see how it all goes for me.

Thank you for your time.

I'll get involved in the Code side of things soon, I really wanted to see how far things had gotten with ReactOS by testing the games packs. It's clear to me that it's still a grueling process to make a whole OS, I am amazed at the work that has already been done, as I am not an advanced C coder, I'll work more on the things I am good at, Packaging/testing and ideas ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bit of Raving from me * (Not relating to the thread but some impressions and opinions if anyone's interested):

I am looking forward to the day ReactOS is able to use all the windows drivers and be compatible with all win32 Sub Systems. It's a big job to add each feature, but to make it compatible - I thought that would be near impossible, well done!

Obviously you guys may not be interested in my opinions yet but I'll share the focal points I feel should be addressed sooner rather than later:

Read/Write NTFS (doesn't need to be boot level yet)
USB Mountable file systems (Fat/Fat32/NTFS)
USB WiFi (Webcam and other devices would be nice but not as nice as WiFi)
GUI LAN & WiFi Manager
Windows Driver support for (LAN) Network
Windows Driver support for Audio Hardware and the Mixer functional on real hardware.

Without Connectivity any OS is rendered obsolete in today's world/use EXCEPT:-

if ReactOS could be made to boot from a USB drive and be able to access NTFS then more people would be drawn to use ReactOS as a recovery method, this would of cause boost interest and bug reporting, not to mention the prospects of new advanced members joining in the development side of it.

The main things people want to do on a PC/OS:
Browse the Internet
Listen To Music
Watch Video

Now ReactOS is not quite at a level to offer the above of cause, but in terms of what is most important to get functional first I hope that the focus is on these things, even over File management and GUI customization, I feel these 3 things would open ReactOS up to be suitable for everyday use, I am aware that many of the core features are incomplete, I just want to nudge the development on either of the two options - Recovery environment (including File Management and Mountable file systems) or the use of Multimedia. Trying to split the work up would produce results a lot faster now that ReactOS is semi-stable and has partial complete API/dll core systems.

I understand that even the Device Manager and other core systems are still incomplete, but if you can put a bunch of FixMe's in when you can and focus on all the things to bring a new feature in, it would make the news letters a lot more interesting for people who are wanting to follow ROS progress to the degree they would be more likely to try new versions just to check out how well the newly implemented features are working for them, most people are just trying to help and to make a difference - that means testing and reporting.

I know you guys are avoiding designs and discussions as much as possible, not to mention the team is very small (considering it's a whole freakin OS), but that's what the public want, I mean the rewrites you guys have done over the last few years do not interest the public at all, they don't care what the code looks like, they just want something to use/try.

That brings me to your release schedule, it's too far between public versions to be of any use, this is the annoyance of working with a small team, you can't juggle all the work that needs doing, I've seen so many people on these forums come to ReactOS out of frustration, but many of them aren't able to gain a working relation with the ReactOS Team because they are windows users and many of them are too used of getting what they want with as little effort as possible, I find that is boring for me now, I can't stand to sit and use my PC for mundane tasks that any monkey can do and for the times I have to do them, I try my best to write my own tools to automate them as much as possible. ReactOS isn't complete enough to get the public involved as much as it should be (for it's own good), but it's nearing it now and I just hope it all falls in to place sooner rather than later.

I just wish more devs could be sponsored to work on completing this instead of them usually getting involved in Linux and Android type projects. These two have enough hype and developers to go far, but a Free/Open Sourced Windows compatible OS, for anyone not using OSX, that's gotta be the best option right? Nothing against Linux or android I use them everyday, but I use Windows much more!

Here's to your future ;) Here's to our future
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

Bug 1 Fixed:- Thanks to vicmarcal
Bitmap Depth Bug:
http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6705

Now I just need to build the test case for the other bug:
SetupS Regression:
http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6706

Once the 2nd bug is fixed I'll publish the complete ReactOS MGP collection of games that work fully and hopefully in future all of the ones in the Windows Free MGP release will function on ReactOS.